DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The website is back up and channel 240 has been updated. Everyone please go to savemychannels.com and fill out the form letter to inform your local congress and senate members about the threat of the distant network shutoff. Even if you don't recieve distant networks, this injunction affects distant HD and significantly viewed as well so most everyone will be impacted one way or the other.

You can also call 202-224-3121 and leave a message with your local representatives. They are the best bet to overturn this injunction. Thanks to everyone who helps!

·
Godfather
292 Posts
There is a slate on 9250 and 7310 that tells everyone what to do. It also says to check back for updates.

What I don't understand is how Chris can say this injunction affects significantly viewed.

·
Super Moderator
53,138 Posts
Check the other threads for the discussion of the details. In a nutshell, the injunction covers a section of law that includes more than just distant stations - it also covers the closer "SV" stations.

240/250/9250/7310 are not on my receivers. I guess E* doesn't want me to contact my congressman. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,673 Posts
This should be a sticky at the top of all forums at DBSTALK.COM. The more people to contact Washington the better. The overwhelming volume may prompt a new law to allow us to keep DNS. The plain and simple fact is the violations E* is accused of are not recent after the ruling in 2003 E* made sure that no new inelgible subscribers received DNS. Many subs posted that they recevied the dreaded letter as E* cut off inelgible subs. The address broker was revamped to make sure that those exsiting subs could not sign up again for the lost channels. In fact the only violation after 2003 that I have knowledge of was that at a time the address broker allowe elgible subs to obtain more than 2 cities signals. That was quickly fixed. Granted E* brought this on themselves but they did take steps to fix the problem. They did settle albeit a little too late with all of the plaintifs the orginal lawsuit with the exception of the 25 Newscorp/Direc tv owned FOX stations. (things that make you go hmmmm) The SHEVRA law needs to be amended to alow a settlement or way around the permanent injunction.

That is my 2 cents. I just hope this site uses it influence to try and get as many people to visit savemychannels website and or to call their rep in DC.

·
Super Moderator
53,138 Posts
E* hasn't made it a sticky on their receivers ... only on the receivers of select subscribers. Yes, this is a big deal for people losing distants ... but E* has not made it clear exactly what they want. Screaming "don't take away my channels" isn't enough. What is E* asking congress to do? That isn't explained.

Give us the legislative language. At least give us a clue of what will be asked! Why jump on the bandwagon before knowing what kind of music is going to be played?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,673 Posts
Big props to the other forum who has gone gun ho on the issue. They have a scrolling banner on all pages on their website and are comitted to the issue. Too bad this site is not doing the same. Just my humble opinion.

From the Denver Post article:

EchoStar spokeswoman Kathie Gonzalez said that Congress could pass legislation "protecting consumers" or "clarify statutory language" regarding distant network signals.

E* does not write the laws that is up to the elected officials. It is up to the consumer and the constituency to let our reps know that a settlement was reached with all parties except for the 25 Newscorp/Direc tv owned owned stations. I agree that even if the Newscorp/Direc TV owned stations AKA the fox network had agreed to the settlement the judge had no choice but to issue an injunction. The law as written had no other remedy and that is what Washington needs to address. And that is why every one needs to call their reps and demand that they do something!

·
Super Moderator
53,138 Posts
So far E* hasn't asked me to do a thing. I've received no phone calls, emails or special announcement channels.

Channel 240 (and mirrors) should be on for all subscribers if he really wants all subscribers to respond. They have not even put up a link on their website. They should also be more clear as to what legislation they is asking us to support. I'm not jumping on a band wagon until I know the type of music the band is going to play. I don't do "lemming".

If E* wants my support make 240 available to us all and tell us what legislative changes you want. THEN I'll decide if the changes are worth supporting. No blank checks.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
cj9788 said:
Big props to the other forum who has gone gun ho on the issue. They have a scrolling banner on all pages on their website and are comitted to the issue. Too bad this site is not doing the same. Just my humble opinion.
It should be noted that the official position of DBSTalk and the AVSForum family is neutral. We don't launch crusades. If Echostar contacts us with a request to disseminate information about this issue, we will consider their request. This site is mainly a "people helping people" discussion forum. That is our main goal.

With that said though, users are welcome to post information about this issue (which they have) however, posting a "let's all join together" type message on the front page would suggest an official position which we will not take.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,673 Posts
Thanks Chris although I disagree with the position I can live with it. Thank you for responding as a member of the team. We all know team has no I in it. ;)

·
Legend
110 Posts
cj9788 said:
This should be a sticky at the top of all forums at DBSTALK.COM. The more people to contact Washington the better. The overwhelming volume may prompt a new law to allow us to keep DNS.
Don't be naive. This whole "contact your representatives" push from Echostar is just a PR manuever to deflect blame and angry calls. They're already cutting people off, so it's pretty obvious that it's all over. In a month or two, the damage will be done any everyone will have moved on. Echostar will no longer have any desire to waste resources on distants.

Distants are gone. Just accept the fact that other have deciced that you deserve nothing more than vastly inferior locals. Besides, comgressman have an inherit bias against allowing distants; if you are watching distants, you're not watching their political ads.

·
Legend
233 Posts
Well, I visited "savemychannels.com" and felt so filthy that I had to take a shower. I can't believe (or don't want to believe) that there are so many people that have been be abused by E* and then allow themselves to be dragooned into being unpaid lobbyists. Charlie must be ROTFLHAO. It's sort of like a rapist convincing his victim to lobby the judge for leniency. Not long ago I hailed Ergen as an entrepreneurial genius. I wrote glowing college papers about him. Now I just think he's a scumbag. Why Charlie? Why!

·
Legend
233 Posts
zmark said:
Don't be naive. This whole "contact your representatives" push from Echostar is just a PR manuever to deflect blame and angry calls. They're already cutting people off, so it's pretty obvious that it's all over. In a month or two, the damage will be done any everyone will have moved on. Echostar will no longer have any desire to waste resources on distants.

Distants are gone. Just accept the fact that other have deciced that you deserve nothing more than vastly inferior locals. Besides, comgressman have an inherit bias against allowing distants; if you are watching distants, you're not watching their political ads.
I think you are correct in the first paragraph. Once LIL is universal, only the hard core techophiles will still care about DNS. For Aunt Tilly, she doesn't care how she gets "The Young and the Restless" as long as she can visit with Victor and Nikki every day.

I am curious about paragraph two. One person's distants is another person's locals. So is everybody watching vastly inferior TV? The majority of programming is network not local. Is there a difference in NY Y&R vs Podunktown Y&R? I don't think so. If you live in West Undershirt, IA and just have to have the Los Angeles weather there are multiple ways to get it. I suppose if the local weather chick looks like an Amazon you might prefer the LA babe but is your life that empty that this makes a big difference?

·
Legend
110 Posts
BobS said:
I am curious about paragraph two. One person's distants is another person's locals. So is everybody watching vastly inferior TV? The majority of programming is network not local. Is there a difference in NY Y&R vs Podunktown Y&R?
Yes, there are significant difference in the audio/video quality of many rural "locals" vs the NY/LA distants. My locals are blurry and darker than the distants; one station doesn't look much better than a VHS tape. Also, I haven't confirmed this yet (but will try soon) that the locals are compressed more than the distants.

Keep in mind that most of the people hit hard by this are rural customers whose 'locals' are from a little rundown affiliate that doesn't give a damn about what they're pumping out.

·
Super Moderator
53,138 Posts
zmark said:
Keep in mind that most of the people hit hard by this are rural customers whose 'locals' are from a little rundown affiliate that doesn't give a damn about what they're pumping out.
Or doesn't have the budget to FIX what they are pumping out. Program rights, graphic generators and even news sets and teams cost money. Some of these tiny affiliates are doing the best they can. Others have given up and sold out to station groups that are equally strapped for cash but as a group ignore their smallest market so they can get at least one market right (Nexstar comes to mind - although I have not found the market they get right).

Yes, local stations can be downright annoying but they have a signed contract as an affiliate for first run rights to the programming. It is that contract that keeps other affiliates out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.