DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three former EchoStar Communications Corp. employees have filed affidavits supporting allegations of abusive behavior by chief executive Charlie Ergen against a former female executive. One claims that Ergen once threw a "black marketing board" at Soraya Hesabi-Cartwright, former executive vice president of EchoStar's Dish Network satellite-TV service. Another supports Hesabi-Cartwright's description of a meeting of senior executives in which Ergen yelled and put his finger in Hesabi-Cartwright's face.

The affidavits are the latest salvos in a lawsuit that Hesabi-Cartwright filed against EchoStar in January, claiming Ergen repeatedly singled her out for "violent yelling fits." She left the company in January 2004, forfeiting about $4 million in stock options. She is seeking the $4 million and punitive damages.

More HERE.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
If my boss did these things, I'd quit. That's my option. But what is she suing for, unless she was enslaved?

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
She is suing because she can. She looks at what she had and realizes that she will NEVER have a chance to make that kind of $$$ again, so, this is how she will attempt to make up for the loss.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
Richard King said:
She is suing because she can. She looks at what she had and realizes that she will NEVER have a chance to make that kind of $$$ again, so, this is how she will attempt to make up for the loss.
This entire nation is out of control.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,009 Posts
Someone stop the presses. The boss is an a**hole.

Hmmm. My boss has yelled at me for things that were and were not my fault. I've been threatened with economic reprisals and an audit of all my projects to look for wrongdoing.

Oh, and he's my uncle and owns 48% of the stock in the company (a small company with $10 million in sales) while I only own 8%. Big deal. Life's hard. Wear a helmet.

Plus, I hate to be sexist, but I can't see a man ever bringing this kind of a suit. This is a "he hurt my feelings" suit and that she "thought" that he "might" strike her. Hey there have been NUMEROUS times I thought of Addams Family-esque death scenarios for my boss in the early 90's when he was going through a divorce and took it out on me, but I survived. I was only making $50K at the time. Making MILLIONS a year, she must have a sizable nest egg stashed away. If she was so worried about her ability to make the same money elsewhere, she should have stuck it out. No one is guaranteed a salary (well, maybe some government employees and baseball players with long term deals).

I'm sorry, I have zero sympathy for her plight. If she has any brains, she'll settle this thing quickly so she has a chance of getting a job elsewhere. (Yeah, I could see the large companies lining up to hire someone who sued her own boss for hurting her feelings).

·
AllStar
95 Posts
Charlie throwing fits? It only shows that we are all human.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,517 Posts
Richard King said:
The world is NOT fair!!! I am my own boss and have no one to sue. :(
Well, you could always sue your self. Teach yourself a lesson not soon forgotten. Don't forget to self-represent for both sides. No matter if you win or lose, you still get to collect attorney fees. You can't lose!

·
Legend
107 Posts
cdru said:
Well, you could always sue your self. Teach yourself a lesson not soon forgotten. Don't forget to self-represent for both sides. No matter if you win or lose, you still get to collect attorney fees. You can't lose!
Sounds like the making of a new comedy series for CourtTV! :lol:

·
Godfather
367 Posts
cdru said:
Can't win either :(

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
mainedish said:
Throwing things at someone is ok? Not in my company.
Depends on what is meant by "throwing". I once lobbed a roll of duct tape at a co-worker while asking (loudly because he was 20 feet away) that he do his job and tape down the wires before we get sued by some one tripping over them. It was the 4th time I'd asked him to do that.

The way he tells it, I was yelling at the top of my lungs and threw the tape at his head as hard as I could!

It was never an issue, he was fired for other causes not much later, but it goes to show how some one's perception of some one else's actions can be completely misread.

See ya
Tony

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Not speaking to the specifics... but to the general concept of what is and isn't acceptable at work...

I've seen people threaten to jump across the table and go after each other in meetings (both men and women)... I've seen people threaten that they could do the other person's job better... and the other person offer them the chance!

I've seen people come to blows... seen people make some HORRIBLE statements personal and professional in an insulting manner intended to hurt... and I've seen people throw stuff, break stuff...

Now... some people are more sensitive than others, have a shorter fuse, have less of a threshold. I believe it is possible that some folks step way over the line, and someone really does get hurt physically or emotionally.

You can't have employees being afraid to make waves because they don't know how the boss will react.

I don't know about the Dish/Charlie allegations here... but the general concept is one I've seen before, and I think it is bad to categorize someone as "whiny" or "wimpy" or even the "men wouldn't do that" reaction to a woman suing.

I've been in places where the women were handled better because the company figured men would take more abuse before complaining... and that isn't right either! Some men are afraid to level complaints because they will look bad... Many women are afraid to complain because they fear it will hurt their chances of getting a job elsewhere.

Abuse and abuse of power is wrong no matter how you cut it... and IF there was some abuse going on, then I wish her luck in her court battle. IF it is frivolous then I hope that comes out too and everyone on the accused side is vindicated.

In the meantime, I think I'll wait until the dust settles before I dive into the specifics of the case since I don't know any of the people involved personally enough to decide who is in the right.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
TNGTony said:
Depends on what is meant by "throwing". I once lobbed a roll of duct tape at a co-worker while asking (loudly because he was 20 feet away) that he do his job and tape down the wires before we get sued by some one tripping over them. It was the 4th time I'd asked him to do that.

The way he tells it, I was yelling at the top of my lungs and threw the tape at his head as hard as I could!

It was never an issue, he was fired for other causes not much later, but it goes to show how some one's perception of some one else's actions can be completely misread.

See ya
Tony
Agreed exaggeration happens, especially with the disgruntled (be it boss or employee)... but there's another side too... Let's say in the innocent situation above, the employee slips and falls while trying to catch the roll of tape... The company would then be liable for a workman's comp claim, and probably the OSHA people would come in and investigate when they hear how it happened... and I bet a "no throwing period" policy gets enacted because even benign things can cause accidents.

Not beating anyone over the head here... but if you had kids in your house that were throwing stuff around the room like that instead of handing things to each other, most parents would ask the kids not to throw stuff in the house... but the same adults will do it in the workplace.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.