DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 2nd receiver. I called customer service and asked if I could exchange this receiver for a standard DVR receiver. The CSR told me it would cost $25 for them to ship it. I have to ship the other back at my expense. I would also have to agree to a 2 year commitment. Does this sound right? Is there anything that can be done to avoid the charge or (especially) the agreement?

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
charlesh said:
I have a standard 2nd receiver. I called customer service and asked if I could exchange this receiver for a standard DVR receiver. The CSR told me it would cost $25 for them to ship it. I have to ship the other back at my expense. I would also have to agree to a 2 year commitment. Does this sound right? Is there anything that can be done to avoid the charge or (especially) the agreement?
Sounds like you want a free upgrade and no committment, most companies do not work that way. $25 for a dvr unit is very good as it would cost you about 4 times that to buy a new one and you would still pay for the shipping unless you bought it locally. If the unit is a lease, Dish should send you the box when you take it off your account (thus making it free). The only way to get out of a committment is to pay even more money up front.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
charlesh said:
Play CSR roulette call several more times and see if you get different offers then pick the best one and see if you can get them to honor it.:)

· Hall Of Fame
1,518 Posts
You could probably switch to Direct and get it for free (although they don't have as much experience in making their own DVR's). You'd have a commitment with Direct as well though.

I really don't understand why people have issues with the commitment periods. I think it's funny that everyone expects and accepts the commitment periods when they get a new subsidized cell phone for next to nothing, but with TV they don't think there should be one....the companies need the commitment period to make some money. If you don't want a long commitment period, go with cable...in my area they charge about $10/month extra to get their buggy DVR.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
finniganps said:
You could probably switch to Direct and get it for free (although they don't have as much experience in making their own DVR's). You'd have a commitment with Direct as well though.

I really don't understand why people have issues with the commitment periods. I think it's funny that everyone expects and accepts the commitment periods when they get a new subsidized cell phone for next to nothing, but with TV they don't think there should be one....the companies need the commitment period to make some money. If you don't want a long commitment period, go with cable...in my area they charge about $10/month extra to get their buggy DVR.
I understand what you are saying and I don't have a problem with making a commitment, it just seems long. When I started with Dish I had an 18 month commitment and it included installation, HD DVR, and standard receiver. 24 months seems long for what amounts to little more than a swapout. A 12 month commitment seems more realistic.

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
charlesh said:
I understand what you are saying and I don't have a problem with making a commitment, it just seems long. When I started with Dish I had an 18 month commitment and it included installation, HD DVR, and standard receiver. 24 months seems long for what amounts to little more than a swapout. A 12 month commitment seems more realistic.
Dish went from 18 months to 24 months sometime last year, since Dish charges for each month a contract is not completed, longer committments means more money or customers not leaving as fast.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
garys said:
Dish went from 18 months to 24 months sometime last year, since Dish charges for each month a contract is not completed, longer committments means more money or customers not leaving as fast.
Dish went to a 24 month commitment in February of this year. The longer commitments do not mean more money in cancellation fees, they mean less. Why? The company charges $10/month for a 24 month commitment versus a $13.33/month for an 18 month commitment. I can't explain why the company made the change. I'm still trying to make sense of it myself.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
charlesh said:
$25 for a shipped DVR? O.K. sure why not? I'm curious what promo they were trying to set you up for though. With the main upgrade promotion that dish offers, agree to a 24 month commitment and you get the DVR, which will run two TVs, and they will replace either one or two receivers as well as send you a prepaid shipping label to send back the replacements. Personally, I usually recommend the installed option. You will probably pay more up front but at least it will be done right. Saves you from having to call back and pay $29-$49 to have someone come out and install it.

· AllStar
117 Posts
partly because most people will avoid paying the cancellation fees by keeping the service?

it does work out to more in fees.
if canceled right at the beginning, either way, it would be $240 in fees
canceled after 1 year, $60 with an 18 month commitment, $120 with the 24

Dish is looking at a certain cost associated with a new customer, it would vary depending on what equipment is needed. This is made up over time by you paying your monthly bill, and the higher the programming you chose, the faster they start making a profit.
It can be assumed that with the current equipment options, getting a 4 TV setup, maxed out on HD and DVR receivers, it may take around the full 18 months of the old contracts for them to break even. 24 month commitment means they have higher profits, even if they have high churn people who cancel at the end of the commitment, and switch companies, repeatedly.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
KevinRS said:
partly because most people will avoid paying the cancellation fees by keeping the service?

it does work out to more in fees.
if canceled right at the beginning, either way, it would be $240 in fees
canceled after 1 year, $60 with an 18 month commitment, $120 with the 24

Dish is looking at a certain cost associated with a new customer, it would vary depending on what equipment is needed. This is made up over time by you paying your monthly bill, and the higher the programming you chose, the faster they start making a profit.
It can be assumed that with the current equipment options, getting a 4 TV setup, maxed out on HD and DVR receivers, it may take around the full 18 months of the old contracts for them to break even. 24 month commitment means they have higher profits, even if they have high churn people who cancel at the end of the commitment, and switch companies, repeatedly.
And the main goal of a business is to NOT turn a profit? You are correct in saying the longer commitments are more, however. I was just looking at it from a standpoint of less per month but, with more months to go, the fees are more. So I was wrong for once. Sue me.

· AllStar
117 Posts
no problem, the first line was what I thought of first, then I did the math, and realized longer commitments would mean higher cancellation fees. They likely work it out just like cell phone companies do, which I have heard explained that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.