DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to sign up for the BronzeHD package for 49.99, they have a offer listed at $200 which I think makes it $29.99 for the first ten months. Can you guys explain this deal to me on how they credit you the $$..or does your bill automatically go down to $29.99?

also the free HD reciever upgarde??? upgrade to what? and its benifits?


thanks in advance
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
430 Posts
i'm an existing customer and tried to find the upgrade details on dishnetwork.com last night but was unable to do so. please explain the upgrade details for me. i've currently got a 625 and a 322 for four SD tvs. we're thinking of an upgrade to a HD tv in the living room. that would give us 1 HD tv and 3 SD tvs.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,579 Posts
psnarula said:
i'm an existing customer and tried to find the upgrade details on dishnetwork.com last night but was unable to do so. please explain the upgrade details for me. i've currently got a 625 and a 322 for four SD tvs. we're thinking of an upgrade to a HD tv in the living room. that would give us 1 HD tv and 3 SD tvs.
Dish is the only ones that can give you the exact upgrade but I expect a 622 will cost you $199, and a 211 will cost you $49.99 with an 18 mo. commitment. I will guess you are leasing your 2 receivers so you are at the max for leased tuners. You will probably need to return the 625 and replace it with the 622. As an existing customer upgrading to HD you qualify for 10 months 0f $10 credits, after filling out and submitting the rebate paperwork.:)
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
685 Posts
Jaxx123, I believe the free HD receiver upgrade is from the SD (standard definition) model. I have the silverHD package with locals for $64.99 a month. I assume you have a high def tv and if so you definitely want the HD receiver. I prefer the VIP622 HD dvr (skip commercials) but those cost extra. Dish and Directv both have good deals for new customers right now. Have you compared them? They both own me on long term commitment for the HD dvr lease agreement. They both have similar programming and pricing. Dish has slightly more HD programming but Directv has me for all the NFL games exclusive for 6 more years (Sunday Ticket/Superfan). Directv may pass Dish next fall in HD channels offered. Lots of empty promises.

I wouldn't worry about how they bill you, just the total cost and length of contract. Also compare the monthly costs after the specials run out. Both company's are raising their prices a little bit in the next few months. Verify that they have HD locals in your area especially if you can't receive them OTA (over the air antenna). Everybody wants these channels and some cities aren't covered. Basically what city are you in and what kind of programming (channels) do you want to watch? Cable TV costs more for most people but has good deals on phone/internet/tv packages.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
The $49.99 isn't an install fee, it is an activation fee. There is no charge for the install. New subscribers get $10/month off as a rebate and get 3 months of their choice of HBO, Showtime, ... Anybody signing up for HD programming for the 1st time qualifies for another $10/month rebate.

If you agree to an 18 month commitment, you get a $50 credit on your first bill (offsetting the activation fee). You don't appear to want the 18 month commit, so you can't get that credit. You can avoid paying the initial $50 activation fee using a ClubDISH number. I'll send a PM with a sample. If you have a friend/relative that also has DISH, they can give you their number and they will also get $5/month for 10 months. I had thought that ClubDISH required the 18 month commit, but apparently not.

With the ClubDISH activation, you would pay nothing for a 211 or $200 to upgrade to a leased 622. They will bill you for both the 1st and 2nd month on the 1st bill. With a 622 and HD Bronze, that would be 2 * $49.99 ($54.99 with locals that you probably would want) and 2 * $5.98 DVR fee on the 622. No lease fee if you only have the one receiver. AFTER you get the 1st bill, you apply for the $20/month in rebates which can take a while to kick in. You should figure paying full price for two months before getting the $20 credit on each following bill for 10 months.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
CABill said:
The $49.99 isn't an install fee, it is an activation fee. There is no charge for the install. New subscribers get $10/month off as a rebate and get 3 months of their choice of HBO, Showtime, ... Anybody signing up for HD programming for the 1st time qualifies for another $10/month rebate.

If you agree to an 18 month commitment, you get a $50 credit on your first bill (offsetting the activation fee). You don't appear to want the 18 month commit, so you can't get that credit. You can avoid paying the initial $50 activation fee using a ClubDISH number. I'll send a PM with a sample. If you have a friend/relative that also has DISH, they can give you their number and they will also get $5/month for 10 months. I had thought that ClubDISH required the 18 month commit, but apparently not.

With the ClubDISH activation, you would pay nothing for a 211 or $200 to upgrade to a leased 622. They will bill you for both the 1st and 2nd month on the 1st bill. With a 622 and HD Bronze, that would be 2 * $49.99 ($54.99 with locals that you probably would want) and 2 * $5.98 DVR fee on the 622. No lease fee if you only have the one receiver. AFTER you get the 1st bill, you apply for the $20/month in rebates which can take a while to kick in. You should figure paying full price for two months before getting the $20 credit on each following bill for 10 months.
Thank You Cabill.This post was VERY informative.I had also questions about this..Your post cleared them up.

SSDA67
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Another question....

I see that the Package described here (bronze)is discontinued.Does that mean that if you are a new subscriber this will not be available?

Thanks!
SSDA67
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
SSDA67 said:
Another question....

I see that the Package described here (bronze)is discontinued.Does that mean that if you are a new subscriber this will not be available?
You shouldn't be concerned about the change to HD Bronze. On 1-Feb, DISH won't be offering the package under that name at $49.99 but instead as a subscription to AT100 (called AT60 today) at $29.99 plus a subscription to HD Pak at $20. Still $50, just different line items on the bill. Other ATxxx packages are supposed to increase $3/month on 1-Feb but AT60 (to be AT100) won't have any price increase until Feb '08. Rumor is that it will also contain the CD music channels in Feb. Info on this was only available to retailers so far and the DISH CSRs haven't even been told about the changes yet. That will likely happen in early January if you want to wait to hear about it by calling DISH. AT60 / HD Bronze subscribers are the least effected by changes coming 1-Feb. Unless they want to get tricky by working the system. :D
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
CABill said:
You shouldn't be concerned about the change to HD Bronze. On 1-Feb, DISH won't be offering the package under that name at $49.99 but instead as a subscription to AT100 (called AT60 today) at $29.99 plus a subscription to HD Pak at $20. Still $50, just different line items on the bill. Other ATxxx packages are supposed to increase $3/month on 1-Feb but AT60 (to be AT100) won't have any price increase until Feb '08. Rumor is that it will also contain the CD music channels in Feb. Info on this was only available to retailers so far and the DISH CSRs haven't even been told about the changes yet. That will likely happen in early January if you want to wait to hear about it by calling DISH. AT60 / HD Bronze subscribers are the least effected by changes coming 1-Feb. Unless they want to get tricky by working the system. :D
Well I just noticed it was saying that all the Packages(Bronze,Silver,Gold,etc...)were being discontinued.You have a great explanation to why in your post.

Thanks!!

SSDA67
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
jaxx123...

'm a new customer, just signed up HD Bronze, no 18 month contract, and I got my first bill...

first, i got my 49.99 activation fee waived W/O signing a contract. I got something in the mail that let me do this (code is needed), but sounds like if you use a referral, you can do the same...

second, they bill you two months at FULL PRICE on your first months bill (~100 w/o locals for HD Bronze). Then you send a copy of your bill, the rebate form to Dish. Supposedly they will then credit $20/month for the next 10 months.

hope this helps.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top