DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont,t have mine hooked up yet. I,M not saying that the problems that you all are having are not real or enought to make you scream . But why is this box sold out everywhere, when one would think that word of mouth on how it works would have killed it? I read all the post and don,t understand why some are having real problems and some are not. even from my last post some in the same area say not bad others nothing but problems. Could it be the box or the install? Or some tvs do better than others

·
Banned
614 Posts
soprano_777 said:
I dont,t have mine hooked up yet. I,M not saying that the problems that you all are having are not real or enought to make you scream . But why is this box sold out everywhere, when one would think that word of mouth on how it works would have killed it? I read all the post and don,t understand why some are having real problems and some are not. even from my last post some in the same area say not bad others nothing but problems. Could it be the box or the install? Or some tvs do better than others
In a public forum many personalities conflict and muddy the context of the new HR20. Most new DVR's have had issues, which were corrected over time.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
There are many many reasons why some have problems and others don't. Many different models of TVs with all sorts of minor variations on how they followed the HDMI spec. All sorts of different programming scenarios. New MPEG4 encoding equipment and software in use which is still getting the kinks worked out on. That's just the way it is, and hopefully things will get better for many that have been experiencing problems in the near future.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Buggy, poorly tested software.

What I mean by that is, there are likely use cases that have not been exhaustively explored, and the side effects of not creating proper testing conditions and QA processes are being experience by the user community.

It is clear that this has been an attempt to resolve this with a rash of software release but it is arguable that they have created as many problems or more than they have fixed. We have not seen an update in 2 weeks, so perhaps they are trying to be more diligent, but it is a complete guess at what is going on because D* does not communicate well with their customers.

·
Legend
134 Posts
PoitNarf said:
There are many many reasons why some have problems and others don't. Many different models of TVs with all sorts of minor variations on how they followed the HDMI spec. All sorts of different programming scenarios. New MPEG4 encoding equipment and software in use which is still getting the kinks worked out on. That's just the way it is, and hopefully things will get better for many that have been experiencing problems in the near future.
None of which explains the problems people are having while using COMPONENT cables and watching, recording, or trying to watch MPEG2 streams or recordings.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
mcl said:
None of which explains the problems people are having while using COMPONENT cables and watching, recording, or trying to watch MPEG2 streams or recordings.
I never said that I was listing every single reason why there could be problems with the HR20, just the probable causes for most of them.

·
Legend
134 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I never said that I was listing every single reason why there could be problems with the HR20, just the probable causes for most of them.
Based on what statistical (non-anecdotal, cite your sources, show your numbers) evidence?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
mcl said:
Based on what statistical (non-anecdotal, cite your sources, show your numbers) evidence?
Based on many posts I've read in this forum. It is merely my opinion. Disagree with it if you want. I'm not going to start getting into an argument about it.

·
Legend
134 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Based on many posts I've read in this forum. It is merely my opinion. Disagree with it if you want. I'm not going to start getting into an argument about it.
If it's your opinion, kindly refrain from repeatedly, incessantly asserting it as though it's gospel.

I and others who have problems and are not using HDMI and are experiencing them on non-MPEG4 content are sick unto death hearing this particular sound bite over and over and over again based on nothing more than hearsay and opinion.

If and when you have numbers to back up that claim, feel free to assert that most of the problems are attributable to HDMI and MPEG4 locals. Until then, kindly stop.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
mcl said:
If it's your opinion, kindly refrain from repeatedly, incessantly asserting it as though it's gospel.

I and others who have problems and are not using HDMI and are experiencing them on non-MPEG4 content are sick unto death hearing this particular sound bite over and over and over again based on nothing more than hearsay and opinion.

If and when you have numbers to back up that claim, feel free to assert that most of the problems are attributable to HDMI and MPEG4 locals. Until then, kindly stop.
Hey, if you interpreted it as "gospel" then I am sorry I worded it in that manner, as that was certainly not my intention. I am sorry that you are experiencing problems with your HR20 and do not downplay at all that problems exist with all various configurations.

Again, I am only stating my opinion. I'm sure the only ones that have any statistics on this kind of thing are D* employees and no one here probably has access to such data, save Earl. I will continue to express my opinions on the HR20 and related matters. Next time I will try to phrase it in a more pleasing manner.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
mcl said:

mcl, did you have a bad day?

·
Legend
188 Posts
mcl said:
No, I'm always this vehement about getting people who are spouting nonsense to stop.
Argumentaitve may be a better word to describe yourself. i have spenr most of the evening reading posts and you seem to argue with someone about something in all of them.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
tommyb said:
Argumentaitve may be a better word to describe yourself. i have spenr most of the evening reading posts and you seem to argue with someone about something in all of them.
Make love, not war people. Everyone play nice, k?

·
Legend
134 Posts
tommyb said:
If by argumentative, you mean, "correcting people who either put words in my mouth, make faulty assumptions, or insist that the source of my problems is $FOO when in fact evidence points to the contrary," then I'm quite guilty.

Furthermore, if you go back through all those posts you spent the evening reading, you'll notice that I responded to a mere handful of people. It just happened to be the same people, multiple times.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.