DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mentor
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 750gb seagate barracuda drive running in an Antec MX-1. The drive works fine - seek noises are a bit loud for my bedroom but bearable. The fan in my MX-1 has never been silent but has gradually gotten louder. Sometimes it is really loud. Antec is sending me a replacement but if this occurs again in 4-5 months I will be pissed.

What is the recommended enclosure now? When I got mine everyone was raving about the MX-1. That obviously isn't the case now - I am hoping there is something better that someone can reccomend.

Thanks,

Z

· Mentor
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 66,

Wow! no fan noise at all? not even a light hum? Even when mine was brand new i could hear it from a few feet away - but that was no big deal since i couldnt hear it from the bed. I have always heard drive noises when it buffers video - I have always attributed that to the seagate drive i chose.

I will try the new one when I get it. If that fails on me i would probably consider installing my seagate internally. I see from your sig that you have a 1tb installed. Are there any risks/difficulties to doing this? Do you think installing it internally may hide some of the drive noises?

I was able to upgrade my UltimateTV drive years ago - so I imagine I could do this too? The main issue for me would be installing my existing 750gb drive and my HR21 thinking it was a new drive an reformatting it. I would lose a fair bit of shows/movies.

Thanks,

Z

· Registered
1,210 Posts
zcarguy said:
Thanks 66,

Wow! no fan noise at all? not even a light hum? Even when mine was brand new i could hear it from a few feet away - but that was no big deal since i couldnt hear it from the bed. I have always heard drive noises when it buffers video - I have always attributed that to the seagate drive i chose.

I will try the new one when I get it. If that fails on me i would probably consider installing my seagate internally. I see from your sig that you have a 1tb installed. Are there any risks/difficulties to doing this? Do you think installing it internally may hide some of the drive noises?

I was able to upgrade my UltimateTV drive years ago - so I imagine I could do this too? The main issue for me would be installing my existing 750gb drive and my HR21 thinking it was a new drive an reformatting it. I would lose a fair bit of shows/movies.

Thanks,

Z
I have been very impressed with the MX-1. I have to be within a foot of it to here anything.

The drive I have internal is in an owned receiver not a leased one. Opening up a leased receiver violates the agreement. Other than that the only thing you need is a security torx bit the right size to take out the screws. I believe there is a bit more difficulty on a HR20 than the HR21 though if that is what you have.

· Godfather
345 Posts
I have 2 Antec MX-1's for 10 months now. No issues and still very quiet.

· Mentor
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my new (refurbed?) MX-1. It seems better. I still hear the fan when I am up close - but only when the room is absolutely quiet. The best part - which i was not expecting is for some reason the hard drive seek noises are substantially less noticable. In the past I would have to make sure to put the HR 21 on a channel with no video before I went to sleep. Now I don't have to.

Thanks,

Z

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.