DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading posts about the eSATA external drive options for the HR21 DVR. Is there a benefit to using an internal eSATA drive in an Antec case versus using say the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB external hard drive? The Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB eSATA external hard drive costs $199 and has a 5-year warranty.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,481 Posts
This depends on what model HR21 you have. There seemed to be at least one model that demonstrated an inability to get along with any of the Seagate FAP units.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
harsh said:
This depends on what model HR21 you have. There seemed to be at least one model that demonstrated an inability to get along with any of the Seagate FAP units.
I just got them installed a few weeks ago. The System Info screen shows HR21 and the Manufacturer is 200. Does that mean that it is a HR21-200? Thanks.

· Icon
685 Posts
robert_tanner said:
I have been reading posts about the eSATA external drive options for the HR21 DVR. Is there a benefit to using an internal eSATA drive in an Antec case versus using say the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB external hard drive? The Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB eSATA external hard drive costs $199 and has a 5-year warranty.
The advantage for the antec is it has the best built-in fan ventilation of any enclosure available. The free agent pro has no fan so has much more potential for heat problems. The antec costs more. Combatability with some models may be an issue as frequently stated.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kikkenit2 said:
The advantage for the antec is it has the best built-in fan ventilation of any enclosure available. The free agent pro has no fan so has much more potential for heat problems. The antec costs more. Combatability with some models may be an issue as frequently stated.
Thanks for the input. Don't most external hard drives sold for the past several years have no fan built into the enclosure? They seem to be pretty reliable despite the lack of a fan when used with a PC. Is there something different about their operation when used with a DVR that would require the fan?

I have two of the Seagate 750 GB Free Agent Pros connected to PCs for a few years now. They feel warm when I touch them but not hot, despite the lack of a fan. If any anyone has used the Seagate 1TB Free Agent Pro external eSATA hard drive with a HR21 DVR I would appreciate it if you could let me know how it worked (or not).

· Icon
685 Posts
robert_tanner said:
Thanks for the input. Don't most external hard drives sold for the past several years have no fan built into the enclosure? They seem to be pretty reliable despite the lack of a fan when used with a PC. Is there something different about their operation when used with a DVR that would require the fan?

I have two of the Seagate 750 GB Free Agent Pros connected to PCs for a few years now. They feel warm when I touch them but not hot, despite the lack of a fan. If any anyone has used the Seagate 1TB Free Agent Pro external eSATA hard drive with a HR21 DVR I would appreciate it if you could let me know how it worked (or not).
A dvr pushes these things a little harder than a pc, especially when recording 2 hd shows while playing back another. That is a lot of bandwidth. As long as your home theater environment is air conditioned you should be fine. When my room gets hot the playback gets choppy and has even locked up. I have 6 externals in a rack so I blow a fan during the day and its all good. I only have hr20's and love the extra storage space.:rolleyes:

· Godfather
453 Posts
robert_tanner said:
I might be wrong, but AFAIK no HR21's work with the FA-Pro. It is clear that most HR21's do not. If anybody has a version of HR21 working with a FA-Pro, it's news to me. The HR20's do, but HR21's do not. Nobody knows why. (There are a few theories but no actual knowledge.)

There is a very small amount of preliminary evidence coming out that the new Free Agent model, the Free Agent Xtreme, does work with HR21's. This is a new line that includes both 1TB and 1.5TB models. However, they are just now entering the distribution pipeline, and we don't have many reports of user experience to go by yet. (AFAIK, nobody has even seen a 1.5TB model yet.)

The Antec MX-1 enclosures work with HR21's with a couple different models of WD drives. However, various people report problems with HR21's when putting Seagate Barracuda's in them. Nobody knows why. (I recently got an Antec MX-1 and a WD10EACS, and they work fine with my HR21-200. By shopping around online, I got them for a combined total of $165 delivered.)

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
russdog said:
There is a very small amount of preliminary evidence coming out that the new Free Agent model, the Free Agent Xtreme, does work with HR21's. This is a new line that includes both 1TB and 1.5TB models. However, they are just now entering the distribution pipeline, and we don't have many reports of user experience to go by yet. (AFAIK, nobody has even seen a 1.5TB model yet.)
I didn't know that a new Free Agent 1.5TB model was coming out. It would be great it that would work with the HR21. I'll have to do some looking around for the availability and cost of this new model.

I would prefer a fanless hard drive to keep the noise level down, and to avoid dealing with the failure or increasing noise level of the cooling fan as the unit ages. I wonder what the life expectancy is of the Antec cooling fan? If anyone on this forum has had one of these enclosures in operation for several years or more I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

· AllStar
84 Posts
The bare 1.5TB drive has been available for about a week now, from Newegg.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these as soon as I find out whether it will actually work on my HR20-100. So far nobody on the deals forum I've been following has mentioned trying it for that purpose, though.

Anyone here?

· Godfather
453 Posts
robert_tanner said:
I didn't know that a new Free Agent 1.5TB model was coming out. It would be great it that would work with the HR21. I'll have to do some looking around for the availability and cost of this new model.

I would prefer a fanless hard drive to keep the noise level down, and to avoid dealing with the failure or increasing noise level of the cooling fan as the unit ages. I wonder what the life expectancy is of the Antec cooling fan? If anyone on this forum has had one of these enclosures in operation for several years or more I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.
I'm not trying to talk you into anything, or out of anything, this is just an FYI: My Antec case makes zero noise. The case is designed to muffle noise, and the WD drive itself if very quiet. The only way I know it's on is by the blue light.

I have no info about how well the Antec ages. Mine is pretty new.

· Godfather
453 Posts
VHS or Beta said:
The bare 1.5TB drive has been available for about a week now, from Newegg.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these as soon as I find out whether it will actually work on my HR20-100. So far nobody on the deals forum I've been following has mentioned trying it for that purpose, though.

Anyone here?
I don't know the answer to your question.

This is for HR21 owners: Be aware that the bare drive he linked to is a Barracuda, and various people have reported trouble using other Barracuda's in external enclosures (such as the Antec) with HR21's.

1 Posts
russdog said:
I'm not trying to talk you into anything, or out of anything, this is just an FYI: My Antec case makes zero noise. The case is designed to muffle noise, and the WD drive itself if very quiet. The only way I know it's on is by the blue light.

----------------------------------------

If there is no chance that the 1T FA Pro I bought to connect to my HR21-100 will work can you please suggest a eSata configuration that will work with the HR21-100?

Thanks!

· Godfather
453 Posts
mdmanuel said:
----------------------------------------

If there is no chance that the 1T FA Pro I bought to connect to my HR21-100 will work can you please suggest a eSata configuration that will work with the HR21-100?

Thanks!
I have an HR21-200 and am happy with This Drive and This Case. It took a couple minutes to assemble them. (The only iffy part was making sense of the directions which are in the form of tiny pictures, not words.) Others report success with other WD drives as well. Some report trouble using Seagate Barracuda's though.

It also appears that These might work, but they are so new that we're not sure yet.

· Godfather
308 Posts
russdog said:

I wouldn't say that the Antec makes zero noise, but it makes less noise then the HR2x models do so you cant hear anything when it is hooked up unless you put it right next to your ear. I have only had this enclosure for a few months as well, so I can't say anything specific about how it ages, although I have used some very quiet Antec fans on my PC for several years and have not noticed them getting louder at all so I expect the same to be true from this enclosure. The enclosure seems very solid, very well built and with the built in fan runs the drive very cool. The blue light was annoying, so I disconnected it altogether! I only know it is running because all the stuff I have recorded shows up under "My Playlist" :)

· Icon
685 Posts
russdog said:
I have an HR21-200 and am happy with This Drive and This Case. It took a couple minutes to assemble them. (The only iffy part was making sense of the directions which are in the form of tiny pictures, not words.) Others report success with other WD drives as well. Some report trouble using Seagate Barracuda's though.

It also appears that These might work, but they are so new that we're not sure yet.
I'm glad I left the compatability issue to you as the hr21 is confusing. Zipzoomfly has the 1tb samsung for $120 and seagate for $130. newegg has them for $135. I buy from both. Fry's just had the antec enclosure for $30 limit 1. Newegg has fanless enclosures from about $20. I just ordered 2 of everything and have a free hr21 coming next week. I'll find some combination that works with that. Damn that 1.5tb looks tempting. You first.:)

11 Posts
robert_tanner said:
I just got them installed a few weeks ago. The System Info screen shows HR21 and the Manufacturer is 200. Does that mean that it is a HR21-200? Thanks.
Yes, and the manufacturer is Samsung. But if it ever gets replaced there is no guaranty that you'll get another like it so you need to get what works with all manufacturers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.