DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked an external drive to my 211. Nothing happened, when I pressed the DVR button on the remote, I received Error 958.

"The device connected has an unknown error and cannot be used as a DVR"

I should note that it was previously used for my PC, and still has files on it from my PC.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
The Dish receiver will format the EHD, so make sure you have another copy of any of those PC files you don't want to lose.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Don't have a 211k to try. Seems odd it wouldn't have been upgraded around the same time, it at least hasn't appeared in the release notes, so it might be left as a user discovery.

·
RichardParker II
939 Posts
P Smith said:
Can't check for the 211k, but did 2 TB for 211 ... Did you try or just waiting a confirmation from someone else ? HDD prices is up 2x or 3x anyway.
I don't have a 2 TB disk but do have a 211k if you would like to cruise up 101 to SR with your 2 TB we could try it out.:grin:

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Can I use one of those smaller (Playing card size) Disks say .5 TB that uses power to run it via the USB interface? I want to use it in my RV and there is not room for a larger disk! If not, other alternatives?

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,568 Posts
You could try (while it not recommended); I saw many of those enclosures - almost all of them has a connector for external power (round hole), if your have it, just buy +5VDC 0.5A [center wire positive] power brick.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
P Smith said:
Can't check for the 211k, but did 2 TB for 211 ... Did you try or just waiting a confirmation from someone else ? HDD prices is up 2x or 3x anyway.
Just tried a WD 2TB Elements powered drive with my 211K and it failed to recognize the drive, giving an error that the drive was incompatible.. I have the same 1TB drive on my 211k and have no issues . Guess I will be using the 2TB drive on my 722K..

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,568 Posts
dontech said:
Just tried a WD 2TB Elements powered drive with my 211K and it failed to recognize the drive, giving an error that the drive was incompatible.. I have the same 1TB drive on my 211k and have no issues . Guess I will be using the 2TB drive on my 722K..
That's bad news, perhaps the WD Elements is the culprit. I would try another USB enclosure with some well known good SATA-USB controller inside.
Can't imagine if FW of 211k is far behind of FW of 211.

914 Posts
Has the external hard drive feature been activated on your account? Without this activation, you would not be able to use the EHD to convert the 211k to a DVR. The 722k doesn't require this activation. Please let me know. Thanks.

dontech said:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.