DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
juan ellitinez said:
Looks like Extra Innings may become a D* exclusive again!!

DirecTV is in advanced talks with Major League Baseball about acquiring exclusive access to baseball's out-of-market Extra Innings package, a move that could be a huge blow to the cable industry and one that will certainly grab attention on Capitol Hill.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/
Interesting. I can't imagine that would help pricing. Also, non-subscribers would still have access to the online version, I would imagine?

I would hope that if this happens, the package would be improved to include FOX saturday games, OTA feeds where needed, and that an HD version would be available once the new sats are up.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,918 Posts
This discussion is ongoing at another board. It has been determined that:

Each MLB team generates about $2 million a year from EI
There are roughly 750K subscribers to EI
This deal was also given to the NHL, which balked because it doesn't want to jump into bed with DirecTV while in bed with Comcast for Versus.

Do the math: if MLB receives $2 million a year per team, that is about $60 million a year on the package (30 teams). If there are 750K subscribers, and the earlybird special this year was at $160 per subscriber, that is about $120 million generated. This means the share between MLB and the carriers are about equal.

MLB receives $60 million a year on 750K subscribers. NFL receives $700 million a year on about 2.5 million subscribers in an exclusive arrangement.

MLB wants more money. They may contract with DirecTV just to do so.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
869 Posts
Interesting article once I went through all the registration garbage. Also interesting that it said some cable executives said they didn't care because of all the national games that are broadcast. As for the Fox deal, I could be wrong, but I thought that exclusivity was in the Fox deal, which would mean that this deal wouldn't change that. That is definitely 1 of the worst things about it.

On a side note, I echo the earlier post about giving more HD games like the NFL.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,918 Posts
bwaldron said:
I would hope that if this happens, the package would be improved to include FOX saturday games, OTA feeds where needed, and that an HD version would be available once the new sats are up.
And I do think that is why this deal is being pursued.

Imagine having two of the major sports in HD as an exclusive. Couple that with the supposed aggressive rollout of local channels in HD, and you get DirecTV trying to corner the multichannel market in HD once these properties are available.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
What would be intresting to see, if if they change the "black-out" rules for the RSNs... and the sports package.

I know for Chicago Team fans, more then half of the games are either on the WGN-Superstaion or Comcast Sports Net... with CSN being available if you have the Sports Pack.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Greg Bimson said:
And I do think that is why this deal is being pursued.

Imagine having two of the major sports in HD as an exclusive. Couple that with the supposed aggressive rollout of local channels in HD, and you get DirecTV trying to corner the multichannel market in HD once these properties are available.
Yep. It would be good to see D* focusing on one of its original core markets and getting back to truly being the sports leader...in HD. Assuming, of course, that the pricing isn't too outrageous, this would serve to keep me with D* even more than Sunday Ticket (yeah, I'm one of those odd ducks who is a bigger baseball than football fan, though I love both).
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
I'd pay Sunday Ticket prices if they brought in all games (including OTA). I'd also pay $99 for a "Super Fan" type of package. If the price increases only beccause it is an exclusive, I'd have to pass. If the subscriber numbers are true, it makes no sense to limit the distribution to one provider. The only winner would be D*.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,918 Posts
MikeW said:
If the subscriber numbers are true, it makes no sense to limit the distribution to one provider. The only winner would be D*.
Not if DirecTV offers MLB at least $90 million a year. Then MLB would also gain a net revenue of at least 50 percent over the prior year.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
193 Posts
If I could get all the available games that are in HD through MLBEI, I would sign up in a heartbeat. But if I am going to pay $160 to get my out of market games in SD, I will probably pass as there are enough games on ESPN HD or Fox HD to satisfy me without having to pay one more dime. I realize that channel 95 will show an out of market game now and again in HD if I subscribe, but I wish D* would set up something like NFLST with "all" available HD games made available to subscribers.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
MikeW said:
I'd pay Sunday Ticket prices if they brought in all games (including OTA). I'd also pay $99 for a "Super Fan" type of package. If the price increases only beccause it is an exclusive, I'd have to pass.
I agree. I'd pay a reasonable price for an upgraded package. Otherwise I'd bail as well, and live with the games via XM or the online package. And I'm a major baseball fan.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
307 Posts
I've had EI for the past several years. There is nothing like tuning in at 10pm EST and hearing Vin Scully doing Dodger's games. The guy's voice is incredible. I'll catch a few innings (obviously after my Tiger's games are over) and chill out.

EI is a great package. I'd be happy with a "Double Discount" from having NFLST and MBL EI....

Here's to MBL EI in HD all the way by mid-'07!
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
Proc said:
I'd be happy with a "Double Discount" from having NFLST and MBL EI....
That's what I was thinking, a reduced rate for multiple sports packages, like adding premium channels.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Proc said:
I've had EI for the past several years. There is nothing like tuning in at 10pm EST and hearing Vin Scully doing Dodger's games. The guy's voice is incredible. I'll catch a few innings (obviously after my Tiger's games are over) and chill out.

EI is a great package. I'd be happy with a "Double Discount" from having NFLST and MBL EI....

Here's to MBL EI in HD all the way by mid-'07!
I'd say that EI is a good package, not great. To be great, it needs to:

- show all games, not just those on the RSNs
- show all FOX Saturday games
- when both games are on a RSN carried by D*, allow access to both feeds

Plus, as you noted, get the package in HD as soon as is technically feasible.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
869 Posts
bwaldron said:
I'd say that EI is a good package, not great. To be great, it needs to:

- show all games, not just those on the RSNs
- show all FOX Saturday games
- when both games are on a RSN carried by D*, allow access to both feeds

Plus, as you noted, get the package in HD as soon as is technically feasible.
Oh, is that all you want, Waldron? Why not throw in all Spring Training, dugout mikes, and personal home visits from Derek Jeter? No, seriously, I agree...I hate watching Bombers games on other RSN's and the FOX Saturday thing is just beyond words. I think the only way we'll get that, though, is if you and I make them an offer they can't refuse. Short of that, we'll just need to hope for most of the games in HD.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
DonCorleone said:
Oh, is that all you want, Waldron? Why not throw in all Spring Training, dugout mikes, and personal home visits from Derek Jeter? No, seriously, I agree...I hate watching Bombers games on other RSN's and the FOX Saturday thing is just beyond words. I think the only way we'll get that, though, is if you and I make them an offer they can't refuse. Short of that, we'll just need to hope for most of the games in HD.
:)
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
306 Posts
bwaldron said:
I'd say that EI is a good package, not great. To be great, it needs to:

- show all games, not just those on the RSNs
- show all FOX Saturday games
- when both games are on a RSN carried by D*, allow access to both feeds

Plus, as you noted, get the package in HD as soon as is technically feasible.
I like that idea. If NFL ST can show all of the Fox games, so should EI!

One feed is good enough for me, as I don't care for most of the local broadcast teams.

They should show as many spring training games as possible, too.

Pre-game shows, like what NFL ST does for those teams that have "Coaches shows" should be show, too.

And, of course, a mix channel (c'mon!)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
You can wish all you want, but do not forget that MLB NOT D* dictates what and where D* can show games. You may get more games in HD but I would not count on any change to the blackout rules.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top