DBSTalk Forum banner

Extra Innings & Super Fan

740 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  scrybigtv
I was preparing to subscribe to the MLB EI package for the second half of the season (starts after the All-Star break); but I saw something on the D* website that's making me hesitate to do so. This has probably been discussed already, but I'd appreciate it if someone could bring me up to speed:

Unless I pay an additional $50 for Super Fan, will I not be able to watch the games in HD? I already pay for my HD DVR and a HD programming fee; surely I won't have to pay again for HD programming . . . WILL I?

Another related question: I also pay $12 per month for the Sports Pack (RSNs). By subscribing to Extra Innings, won't that remove the RSN blackout of the out-of-market MLB games? If so, many of those channels (YES, for example) are already shown in HD. So shouldn't I get those games in HD?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
scrybigtv said:
I was preparing to subscribe to the MLB EI package for the second half of the season (starts after the All-Star break); but I saw something on the D* website that's making me hesitate to do so. This has probably been discussed already, but I'd appreciate it if someone could bring me up to speed:

Unless I pay an additional $50 for Super Fan, will I not be able to watch the games in HD? I already pay for my HD DVR and a HD programming fee; surely I won't have to pay again for HD programming . . . WILL I?

Another related question: I also pay $12 per month for the Sports Pack (RSNs). By subscribing to Extra Innings, won't that remove the RSN blackout of the out-of-market MLB games? If so, many of those channels (YES, for example) are already shown in HD. So shouldn't I get those games in HD?
In order to get the HD feeds for MLB Extra Innings, MLB Superfan is also required, in addition to the HD Access fee. So yes, it does seem that one would be "paying twice" to watch the games in HD. However, unlike NBA LP and NHL CI - where the HD feeds are available with just the HD Access Fee, the Superfan charge is justified by D* because you will be getting extras such as the MLB Mix and Strike Zone Channel (similar to NFL ST and NFL Superfan).

As far as your out of market RSNs (600's channel range) that are blacked during games, MLB EI will allow you to watch them, but you will not be able to watch the HD version without Superfan.
I would hope you wouldn't have to pay $50 for half a season of HD.
schlar01 said:
I would hope you wouldn't have to pay $50 for half a season of HD.
I agree, and I don't intend to.
Yes, you have to have SuperFan to get the games in HD.

You don't usually have to pay for it...you just have to call and whine about it to the people at DTV. I agree this is a dumb process - but it's always worked for me. They might charge you the $50, and then credit you $10 each month, or give you something else for free - but you can probably get out of paying for it.
mdh333 said:
Yes, you have to have SuperFan to get the games in HD.

You don't usually have to pay for it...you just have to call and whine about it to the people at DTV. I agree this is a dumb process - but it's always worked for me. They might charge you the $50, and then credit you $10 each month, or give you something else for free - but you can probably get out of paying for it.
Thanks, mdh333; I'll give it a try.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.