DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have been wanting Dish to add certain diginets, Roku just added a streaming channel called F2 TV (Free to View). It has been around for sometime as a private channel, and some private channels can be questionable. But Roku has finally given the green light for this channel. It can be added from their search area. Type in the name F2TV (Free to View) and add the channel. The owner claims to have written permission to stream these channels. He will not add any channel that he does not have permission. Apparently he has satisfied Roku, who is generally pretty picky on what they carry. Through the years, they have dropped many channels because they felt the service was not legal. Anyway, many of the diginets F2 TV carries. Hopefully Dish will add Decades, and in the meantime if you have high speed and a Roku, you can get many diginets. No DVR available I know of, but at least you can view the channels. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added this channel, and I'm really enjoying it! Thanks for sharing that it's been added to Roku's channel store.
The channel has been around for sometime as a Private channel I added a year ago or so. I am glad it is now in the Roku store, so everyone can view it. The guy takes donations too.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Thanks for posting this, mwdxer! I added this app to my Roku after reading about it here. It carries a lot of my favorite channels from Pluto TV, plus many other free channels that seem to be exclusive to the F2V TV app.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting this, mwdxer! I added this app to my Roku after reading about it here. It carries a lot of my favorite channels from Pluto TV, plus many other free channels that seem to be exclusive to the F2V TV app.
He has the exclusive rights to many TV channels. I wish there was a DVR available though. It gives viewers access to many diginets not available in their market. F2V TV was a private Roku channel for several years. Recently it was added into their regular stuff. I am glad to see this as of Feb the Private channels on Roku will no longer be available.

·
Banned
16 Posts
He has the exclusive rights to many TV channels. I wish there was a DVR available though. It gives viewers access to many diginets not available in their market. F2V TV was a private Roku channel for several years.
Other than a DVR, a program guide within the app would also be nice. On the other hand, it is kind of a novelty to tune into a live stream without any idea what is playing at the moment. I might end up sticking around and watching a show that I otherwise would not have selected at all. I suppose the guide info for these channels is available from some other online source, if I wanted to bother looking it up.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than a DVR, a program guide within the app would also be nice. On the other hand, it is kind of a novelty to tune into a live stream without any idea what is playing at the moment. I might end up sticking around and watching a show that I otherwise would not have selected at all. I suppose the guide info for these channels is available from some other online source, if I wanted to bother looking it up.
The service is a no frills. He does it as a hobby. It does say that if someone wants to donate, that is okay. This is not his real job, but a part-time hobby. Yes, the channel's have online guides. A bit klunky to use, but as least there is access to the digets.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it got shut down as i went to Roku last night and it isn't in the channel store. Anybody else still getting it?
If you had the channel added via the Private List, that is shut down. You need to delete the old version and add it back in from the regular channel list. I had them both, the old private version and the new version, and the old private version quit working a few days ago. I just checked and F2V TV is alive and well. I just clicked on Decades and it is fine.
If you cannot fine it. go to search channels and type in Free2....and it should come up in the channel list. You should be able to just add it. I just tried searching and I typed in Free2...and it showed right up.

·
Icon
866 Posts
If you had the channel added via the Private List, that is shut down. You need to delete the old version and add it back in from the regular channel list. I had them both, the old private version and the new version, and the old private version quit working a few days ago. I just checked and F2V TV is alive and well. I just clicked on Decades and it is fine.
If you cannot fine it. go to search channels and type in Free2....and it should come up in the channel list. You should be able to just add it. I just tried searching and I typed in Free2...and it showed right up.
Thanks ill try tonight. I kept searching f2tv.o_O

·
Banned
16 Posts
I guess it got shut down as i went to Roku last night and it isn't in the channel store. Anybody else still getting it?
Thanks ill try tonight. I kept searching f2tv.o_O
Still working for me. When I first added it to my Rokus, I also tried typing F2 TV (based on the thread title and post number 1). It came up for me just fine, though. I just added it to my dad's Roku today. I typed F2V TV into the Search, and Free 2 View was the first result. Now my dad can watch GRIT, and all of the other classic Westerns and classic TV show channels available in this app.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For those that have been wanting Dish to add certain diginets, Roku just added a streaming channel called F2 TV (Free to View).
Thanks so much for posting this! I just wanted to let everyone know that starting this month, there is now a second app for more of these channels: F2VTV Vol. 2! Currently, the Vol. 2 app has many of the same channels as the old F2VTV (Vol. 1) app, with some unique ones also. As the channel lineup in both apps continues to change, more channels will be moving from the Vol. 1 app to the Vol. 2 app, with new channels being added to the Vol. 1 app.

As for how this relates to Dish, I just saw on another site that Dish will be dropping Stadium soon. Stadium is one of the channels available in F2VTV Vol. 2, although it also remains available in Vol. 1 for now. It may be slightly easier to find in Vol. 2, since the Vol. 2 app has a Sports category. So, this is one way for Dish subscribers to continue to be able to enjoy Stadium, and maybe find some other free streaming diginet channels that you would also like.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A great service. Most of the channels they offer we now have OTA due to Weigel buying a local translator (Astoria OR). I am hoping some day there will be a way to DVR the F2TV channels. Mentioning Dish, they do carry a lot of diginets which Direct doesn't have. I am happy Dish does carry diginets. In regard to Stadium, it streams for free under STIRR, The Sinclair streaming app on Roku, along with Change! and others.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mentioning Dish, they do carry a lot of diginets which Direct doesn't have. I am happy Dish does carry diginets. In regard to Stadium, it streams for free under STIRR, The Sinclair streaming app on Roku, along with Change! and others.
Yes, and Charge! is coming to Dish on April 20. That was part of the announcement, along with the part about Stadium being dropped.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Update: F2VTV has been forced to remove all Weigel channels, including: MeTV, Heroes & Icons, Decades, Movies!, and Start TV.

They are recommending using Frndly or LocalBTV (where LocalBTV is available) to get these channels back.

I am hoping some day there will be a way to DVR the F2TV channels.
The plus side is that LocalBTV does include a cloud DVR. The minus (for me, anyway) is that LocalBTV does not yet have the rights to carry any of the above listed channels for my market: Cleveland, OH.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: F2VTV has been forced to remove all Weigel channels, including: MeTV, Heroes & Icons, Decades, Movies!, and Start TV.

They are recommending using Frndly or LocalBTV (where LocalBTV is available) to get these channels back.

The plus side is that LocalBTV does include a cloud DVR. The minus (for me, anyway) is that LocalBTV does not yet have the rights to carry any of the above listed channels for my market: Cleveland, OH.
Sorry to read this. We have a Weigel translator here on the Northern Oregon coast with 3.1 H&I, 3.2 Start TV, 3.3 Movies, 3.4 Decades, 3.5 METV+, and 3.6 Story TV. Another TV station in Portland (KATU) carries METV 2.2. Right now after a storm Friday night the Weigel translator was knocked off the air. If it doesn't return by today (Monday), I will call them. Too bad Frndly TV does not carry Movies, METV+ or Story TV. Maybe they will pick them up in time.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In checking the Local BTV channels in the 22 markets, I did not see any Weigel networks. So even if someone is located in the market, still you are out of luck with Local BTV. They do not carry anything without permission. So, the best choice is Frndly TV. They do indeed have Story TV, so the only Weigel networks they are missing are Movies & METV+. Hopefully they will add them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In checking the Local BTV channels in the 22 markets, I did not see any Weigel networks. So even if someone is located in the market, still you are out of luck with Local BTV.
Okay. I was just going by the Channel Updates notice in the F2VTV app:
"Free2View TV no longer has the ability to provide channels from Weigel Broadcasting, which include MeTV, Heroes & Icons, Decades, Movies!, and Start TV. These channels, regrettably, have been removed from the EXCLUSIVES section of the Free2View TV Select for Roku app. To view MeTV, Decades, and Start TV, you may subscribe to Frndly TV nationwide, or get them for free from LocalBTV where available. ..."

And more bad news today (6/13/2022):
"Free2View TV no longer has the ability to provide OTA streaming channels, EXCLUSIVES category has been deleted."
So, there go the rest of the ones that Free2View carried in that group. :(

1 - 20 of 57 Posts