DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Icon
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an interview on Facebook live Matt Thompson of DIRECTV showed a new TV app that allows DIRECTV customers to see what their friends are watching as well as post "watches" to their Facebook twitter. Currently you can like and comment on a show but the new version of the App will leverage Facebook's new Watch capability and allow you to see what your friends are watching and tune/record even if your friend is on Hulu, Amazon or Comcast (>:
see the video here: http://www.livestream.com/facebookguests/video?clipId=pla_dd91b8bc-c69e-4d0d-9721-e6dc0b7cd0b1

· Godfather
273 Posts
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever encountered. Who gives a rat's patooty what someone else is watching? Better yet, why would anyone feel it necessary to tell others what they were watching. I'm sorry, but this social networking crap is getting way out of control. And guess what, we are paying for all the people developing this nonsense in our monthly rates.

OK, the old fart has said his piece. :D

· Godfather
256 Posts
I agree. But I can see some of these young whippersnappers doing this a lot. I have friends who update their FB status when they go to the 7-11.

· Icon
1,083 Posts
Isnt that what the Facebook TVApp does?

Personally I dont want the world knowing what I watch. I dont need the discussion around the fact that I was actually watching The Bachelor (as an example) or something.

· Hall Of Fame
1,221 Posts
"Dazed & Confused" said:
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever encountered. Who gives a rat's patooty what someone else is watching? Better yet, why would anyone feel it necessary to tell others what they were watching. I'm sorry, but this social networking crap is getting way out of control. And guess what, we are paying for all the people developing this nonsense in our monthly rates.

Yes, you are old fashioned and it's unfortunate since I think like you. If most thought like you & I there wouldn't be glorified paparazzi like TMZ, Inside Edition, Access Stars, and whatever other shows there are letting us know where some celebrity ate, who they slept with, what they are wearing, and what color their teeth are. Plus, Ryan Seacrest would not have about 98% of the jobs he has.

· Legend
265 Posts
Xsabresx said:
Isnt that what the Facebook TVApp does?

Personally I dont want the world knowing what I watch. I dont need the discussion around the fact that I was actually watching The Bachelor (as an example) or something.
I just posted on my FB page that Xsabresx watches The Bachelor....:D

I kid...I kid...

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
Man. I hope this dies an unused death. Facebook is getting way too intrusive as it is, people should start being concerned for their privacy and security. I use FB to keep up with far-flung relatives. Period. I have the entire apps platform turned off altogether and use a Chrome plug-in to foil some of FB's persistent (and hidden) intrusions.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I also see it being pointless in wasting time 'reporting' what you friends are watching... who cares?

· Icon
881 Posts
I think that companies like D* feel the need to say that they have Facebook too. As soon as they have it, some people will use it.

I've been posting photos of my new baby to Facebook to apease my family, and between their religion rants and politics, they'll use this to proclaim their love of Hoarders for all to see.

· Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Dazed & Confused said:

+1......I don't care what my wife is watching let alone what my friends and family are viewing. Would love to meet the partly trained ape that dreamt this up. :sure:

· Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
Obviously none of you have heard of GetGlue or those other show/movie sharing platforms. People said the same thing about FourSquare when it launched, "Who cares where people are at"? But these and other forms of Social Media "check-in's" are growing tremendously...

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Justin23 said:
Obviously none of you have heard of GetGlue or those other show/movie sharing platforms. People said the same thing about FourSquare when it launched, "Who cares where people are at"? But these and other forms of Social Media "check-in's" are growing tremendously...
And yet...many of us still don't care, nor will we. :)

· Premium Member
11,519 Posts
Justin23 said:
Yup. same can be said for the growth of "quality" programing like "The Jerry Springer Show", "The Maury Povich Show", ect. :sure:

· Hall Of Fame
1,221 Posts
"Justin23" said:
You are correct. I've never heard of get glue until right now. Never heard of four squares until the summer when I needed it for my new job.

· Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
"MysteryMan" said:
Yup. same can be said for the growth of "quality" programing like "The Jerry Springer Show", "The Maury Povich Show", ect. :sure:
Yeah...don't think that's the case with FourSquare:

"Why Foursquare Thrives
Foursquare's 10 millionth user mark is impressive for plenty of reasons, but one of the most major is that it had only one percent (100,000) the user base in August 2009; a 10,000 percent growth in under two years is enough to impress anyone, and it bodes well for the company's future."

I guess things like "The Internet" or "Facebook" are just passing fads too?

· Legend
239 Posts
Dazed & Confused said:

+1 here, too!

I am perplexed at how the younger generation just loves to share so much of their personal business to the world. Why in the world would you need to broadcast to the world what you're watching, eating, etc.? :confused:

Anyway, to each his own, but one thing I do believe is that one of the "purposes/benefits" of all this social media integration is the data-collection and -mining that will be used for marketing purposes.

· Registered
4,148 Posts
nuspieds said:
+1 here, too!

I am perplexed at how the younger generation just loves to share so much of their personal business to the world. Why in the world would you need to broadcast to the world what you're watching, eating, etc.? :confused:

Anyway, to each his own, but one thing I do believe is that one of the "purposes/benefits" of all this social media integration is the data-collection and -mining that will be used for marketing purposes.
Give it away for FREE so others may profit-Remember if there was no money to be made then it would not be offered for free.

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
At least FourSquare gives something of value in return. On Small Business day last November, I got $50 credited back to my Amex for doing nothing more than checking into the venues I was in and spending money I was already going to spend. At least once a week I get a discount on a meal or purchase. What the heck does DirecTV on FB get us, other than exposing the fact that some people put TV too high on their priority list?

Justin23 said:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.