DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm been struggling with an annoying problem since the last national update in mid-May , where my DVR reports "fake" problems with the internet messages when indeed there is an internet connection.

Every once and a while, i'll get an error message saying the receiver cannot connect to the internet when attempting to download a VOD show. Most of the time, the error comes up when I am attempting to download a HD show on HBO (1501) but I am not ruling out the problem with other channels.

Here is what I do:
Select the show I want to download on 1501. (Game of Thrones - episode 8 )
I see the Orange/Red recording light appear on the DVR.
I check "Playlist" and don't see it listed in the playlist.
Sometimes it will appear but stay stuck at 0%
eventually I'll get a "There was problem connecting to the internet.." and a message "Test connection" or "Continue, Fix Later"
The recording light stays on, but nothing is recording or downloading.

To fix this, I restart the receiver (menu restart). The recording light eventually turns off and the download might then appear in the Playlist at 0% . I can then delete it. If it doesn't show up, then I can assume it was automatically deleted.

Now, the interesting part is:

I can download other shows on HBO (1501), for example, I can download a different episode (episode 9) from the series and it will download as normal. If I try the same episode 8 that gives me problem before, I go through the same issue over again.

Is it possible some of my VOD show listings stored in the CinemaPlus channels are corrupted or invalid / outdated? why do most work while others seem to always fail?

I have tried the double-reset to clear channel guide cache, and I think it does help - but the problem seems to return.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
veryoldschool said:
It seems like there may be a problem with that show on the DirecTV server.
Did you also experience a problem downloading this show? or do you think it could be a problem on the server side?

It might be this show for this week, and then I run into a different show next week. Game of Thrones has been very problematic in the past, i've downloaded all of them except for episode 8 so far.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Relativity said:
Did you also experience a problem downloading this show, or are you saying it could be a problem with this show from the DirecTV server?

I might be this show for this week, and then I run into another one next week.
I haven't tried this show, but other shows have been this way before.
Sometimes what's on the server is the problem.

If you are having this regularly then it may be something else.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
veryoldschool said:
I haven't tried this show, but other shows have been this way before.
Sometimes what's on the server is the problem.

If you are having this regularly then it may be something else.
It occurs often enough to annoy me, thats for sure. It was especially annoying to be told by DirecTV that it was my internet connection, and router/modem hardware.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Relativity said:
It occurs often enough to annoy me, thats for sure. It was especially annoying to be told by DirecTV that it was my internet connection, and router/modem hardware.
While it may not be [especially if you can download other VOD], it isn't impossible. My old cable internet gave me this problem. They had an overloaded system and DirecTV on-demand suffered. Switching to DSL "resolved it". :lol:

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
veryoldschool said:
While it may not be [especially if you can download other VOD], it isn't impossible. My old cable internet gave me this problem. They had an overloaded system and DirecTV on-demand suffered. Switching to DSL "resolved it". :lol:
Maybe I should switch to cable. I'm using DSL.

I performed a double-reset, cleared the guide cache and waited until all the on-demand channels appeared again. I then tried downloading the same episode on 1501, and it failed with the "problem connecting to internet" message.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
Put the name of the show and maybe someone can try it quickly to see if they have the same problem. I've also never cared enough to check but I wonder if certain episodes are on different services and you're having an issue with a specific server.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I am still having the problem today. The actual episode I am having a problem with is the HD version -- Episode 8, Game Of Thrones (The Pointy End)

The Standard Def episode 8 downloaded fine, as well as all other HD episodes (9 of the 10) in this series.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Relativity said:
Yes I am still having the problem today. The actual episode I am having a problem with is the HD version -- Episode 8, Game Of Thrones (The Pointy End)

The Standard Def episode 8 downloaded fine, as well as all other HD episodes (9 of the 10) in this series.
I just tried episode 8 and got the connection error as well. I then tried episode 1 and in my list it say download pending. Never seen that one before. My internet connection is fine. I just tried a random show on Showtime and got the episode download pending again. I suspect there may be something wrong with their sever.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for verifying.

one of the problems I have with this is trying to download multiple shows overnight. You select a few shows and if one of them fails with this false internet connection problem, the rest remain stuck and never download. So the next day you downloaded nothing. Once you remove the problematic show from your playlist, the downloads continue.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
davring said:
Episode 8 (The Poity End) and it is now downloading, after a 30 minute wait. The list again had said download pending.
I could never get that far, it would always stay at 0% (left for over 24 hours) and would cause all other downloads to remain Pending.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.