DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

If you were to order just the Family package 29.95 along with the HD Access for 9.95 would you get all the HD channels like ESPNHD, ESPNEWSHD, etc. even if the SD channel wasn't in the Family Package? Or would you only get the HD channels that are in the Family Package lineup?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
ohiosnowman said:
Question:

If you were to order just the Family package 29.95 along with the HD Access for 9.95 would you get all the HD channels like ESPNHD, ESPNEWSHD, etc. even if the SD channel wasn't in the Family Package? Or would you only get the HD channels that are in the Family Package lineup?
you would get only the channels that are in the family package

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Unfortunately, they won't allow it. I just tried to do it, but I was told they are both base packages, and you can't combine them. I guess the only way to do it is if you had two separate accounts.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
purtman said:
Unfortunately, they won't allow it. I just tried to do it, but I was told they are both base packages, and you can't combine them. I guess the only way to do it is if you had two separate accounts.
what??? Family is a base package but HD access is an add on now.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Mertzen said:
Yeah, unlike E*, D* doesn't have an HD only package. I really don't see the point of the family package.
for people who got Directv to serve as a babysitter for their rugrats.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
curt8403 said:
for people who got Directv to serve as a babysitter for their rugrats.
While i would word it a little nicer, that is very true. I was just talking with a friend of mine and if it wasn't for his kids he would probably cancel his E* service. A few hours of ESPN and Speed are all he watches.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
155 Posts
I've got Family and HD right now.
I couldn't do it online. I had to call to get my account set that way.

Money was tight and we weren't watching much TV this spring/summer so I figured I could shave a few bucks off the bill until football season starts.

·
Godfather
417 Posts
Mertzen said:
Yeah, unlike E*, D* doesn't have an HD only package. I really don't see the point of the family package.
The "point" of getting the Family package is to save $$$ on channels you never watch. Besides, the Science and National Geo channels are pretty good. The only reason I subscribe to D is to get the East & West coast network feeds, and
base so ball.

·
Legend
102 Posts
I have the family package w/ HD. I watch HGTV, my wife watches FitTv and my kids get all of their channels. I do miss ESPN sometimes but I can live w/o it at least until the baseball playoffs start.

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
Mertzen said:
Really? Well, I happen to have the FAMILY package so let me explain.

1. Some people don't particularly like sports.*

2. Some people are retired living on a fixed income and can't afford pricey subscription TV packages or a high-definition television.*

3. Some people are extremely happy to get all their local channels crystal clear plus a goodly number of "cable" channels (National Geographic, Science Channel, Hallmark Channel, CNN Headline news, Food Channel, HGTV, etc.) without dealing with a cable company. (or their outrageous pricing)*

4. Some people really like DVR's, and especially like it when you can get THREE of them along with a nice programming package for less than $50/month including all taxes and fees.*

5. Some people think it's GREAT that every now and then they get to see the premium channels (and record the movies for viewing later) for a 3 or 4 day weekend for FREE.*

* ME!

Got the point yet?

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
and yet you live in cheesehead land....brett favre would be verklempt.
That's why I like my DVR's. I relabeled my "skip" button the "sports" button. Perfect during newscasts and football season!! :D

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
heisman said:
I don't understand why anyone would have the family package when you can get a full channel package in preferred choice for $3 more.
The cost of the next package upgrade is not $3. It is the CHOICE package which is almost DOUBLE the cost of the FAMILY package.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
heisman said:
I don't understand why anyone would have the family package when you can get a full channel package in preferred choice for $3 more.
preferred choice is a package available only to international customers. so you cannot get it unless you have something like korean or chinese or greek programming as well

·
Hall Of Fame
2,045 Posts
Here are the HD channels you get with the Family package:

DirecTV packages (only HD channels are listed). The $10 HD access fee is already included.

Family Package with HD $40 ($46 with DVR)
(45+ Channels)

Disney
Food
HGTV
National Geo
Nick
Science Channel
Toon Disney
Weather Channel
HD locals or DNS HD locals

You can also add the HD extra package for an addition $5 to get these channels as well:

HD Net Movies
MGM
MHD
Smithsonian
Universal

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.