DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Legend
284 Posts
whitepelican said:
And I don't see the point of paying over $100/month to watch television. To each his own.
Sadly, with gas on it's way to $5/gal., our babysitters at $8-10/hr., a night out with the wife for dinner and a movie would cost on average $100-150. We used to do that 2-3 times a month. Now, maybe once a month. In effect, we're getting the $100/mo. on DirecTV for free!:hurah:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
CCarncross said:
Dedicated sports channels do not belong in a package geared for children viewing due the violence in sports...
The majority of violence in sports happens off the field. That's where the real inappropriate actions are taken. How many (former) professional sports figures are now in prisons?

·
Legend
102 Posts
I disagree that Sports is not family programming. How many people remember watching baseball or football with their dads or grandparents, whatever, I think sports is the ultimate family programming because it appeals to kids and adults alike. I don't watch nick jr with my kids, so that is children's programming not family. I see why D* doesnt include ESPN in the family package though because a great many subscribers pick the cheapest package that has ESPN, which is why ESPN has the clout that it does.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
Azalo said:
I disagree that Sports is not family programming. How many people remember watching baseball or football with their dads or grandparents, whatever, I think sports is the ultimate family programming because it appeals to kids and adults alike. I don't watch nick jr with my kids, so that is children's programming not family. I see why D* doesnt include ESPN in the family package though because a great many subscribers pick the cheapest package that has ESPN, which is why ESPN has the clout that it does.
This was the point I was making as well about sports programming being appropriate. Some of the announcing tends to drift a bit but I see no problems with mainstream sports for kids. Just don't let MTV run the half-time show because it won't match the rating on the event (no problem with any content as long as it is appropriately rated).

ESPN misses the cut for a simple reason, most likely. They have been reported as having a particularly high per-viewer cost. They also heavily push bundling. If you get one ESPN, you get all of them, along with the cost for all of them. If one objective is to keep the price low, ESPN would be a deal-breaker.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
CCarncross said:
Several posters in this thread have pointed out the flaw in their and Directv's thinking. Directv created it to compete with Dish offering of family-friendly programming and to capture the low monthly payment minded customer. Some customers get it to save money, others to be cheap then complain about channels that are not in the package(that shouldnt be in a family friendly package in the 1st place). Dedicated sports channels do not belong in a package geared for children viewing due the violence in sports...
I can't speak for others, but in our household, my wife prefers the major networks, I like having ESPN/ESPN2, and my daughter doesn't need anything more then what comes with the Family package. The Family package with the HD package was perfect for us as we didn't need 200 channels that we just don't watch. When D* decided to eliminate the HD package and go with HD access I we had to increase our base package by 66% just to keep ESPN/ESPN2.

My problem wasn't with the lack of channels with Family, but rather D* took something away from me and I had to pay an additional 66% to get it back. But yay, we have 200 channels we barely watch.

·
Legend
102 Posts
EMoMoney said:
I can't speak for others, but in our household, my wife prefers the major networks, I like having ESPN/ESPN2, and my daughter doesn't need anything more then what comes with the Family package. The Family package with the HD package was perfect for us as we didn't need 200 channels that we just don't watch. When D* decided to eliminate the HD package and go with HD access I we had to increase our base package by 66% just to keep ESPN/ESPN2.

My problem wasn't with the lack of channels with Family, but rather D* took something away from me and I had to pay an additional 66% to get it back. But yay, we have 200 channels we barely watch.
Thats exactly my same problem, except I decided paying 66% more for Wednesday and Sunday baseball and the occasional Sports Center wasn't worth it to me. When the playoffs start I will reconsider. I will definitely consider cable when my contract is up, at least I know ESPN is included on their cheapest package and my kids can watch all the shows they like OnDemand.

·
Icon
773 Posts
oscar madison said:
How come on this link the family package comes with 4 xm channels
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/globa...sp_A&_DAV=-1&_dynSessConf=6238870072663388100

and on the change package page in my directv account it says the family package only has 2 xm channels?

Thinking of downgrading just to save money.

Thank you.
Do you currently have the Choice package?
Doesn't the change package page detail which channels would change?
There are 4 XM channels in the Family package, TWO of which are not in the Choice package (hence the symbol next to XM Kids & Radio Disney).

So, your change would add 2 XM channels, compared to Choice.

Just a guess.

·
Legend
171 Posts
Kheldar said:
Do you currently have the Choice package?
Doesn't the change package page detail which channels would change?
There are 4 XM channels in the Family package, TWO of which are not in the Choice package (hence the symbol next to XM Kids & Radio Disney).

So, your change would add 2 XM channels, compared to Choice.

Just a guess.
I have the old Total Choice, grandfathered.
That makes sense.
Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
yes its called the spaghetti dish. :lol:
years ago the BBC ran a feature news report about the spaghetti harvest in Italy, and about how people had to work from sun up to sun down when the spaghetti was ripe, they had images with spaghetti hanging from the trees, drying racks, and the whole works. tons of people believed them, no one ever checked the date

April 1

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.