DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HR20 is sitting on top of a dresser next to the tv in my bedroom. I sit/sleep about eight feet away. I need to turn up the volume on the tv to drown out the noise and unplug the box when I sleep. The cnet review mentions some noise. The posts here seem less concerned. Do others here find the HR20 loud or noisy?

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
If you're talking about hard drive noise, I agree, it's too noisy for the bedroom. Much louder than my R10. You can hear that drive crunching all night. I also had a buzzing problem with my HR20. I solved it temporarily with a couple wadded up paper towels under the feet.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Phrenology said:
My HR20 is sitting on top of a dresser next to the tv in my bedroom. I sit/sleep about eight feet away. I need to turn up the volume on the tv to drown out the noise and unplug the box when I sleep. The cnet review mentions some noise. The posts here seem less concerned. Do others here find the HR20 loud or noisy?
Search for "hard drive chirp".

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Can't hear ours at all, even at night with the TV and A/V receiver off and the recorder merrily doing it's thing. No fan noise, no hard drive noise, nada.

·
Legend
213 Posts
Phrenology said:
Thanks, I read through the thread but the noise isn't so much of a chirp but a somewhat loud hum plus hard drive crackling.
I have the same problem with the same sounds coming from the receiver. There is no way I could sleep with that in my bedroom. It even initially bothered in my TV room but I've seem to have gotten somewhat used to the noise and can tune it out.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
There are plenty of HR20 fans here, and they make a LOT of noise

:lol:

·
Icon
764 Posts
islesfan said:

I have never noticed a peep out of mine, but maybe thats becasue my blankety balnk DLP makes such a whirring souond from the color wheel! Are all the DLPs noisy like that? Mine is an RCA Scenium. I have pretty much got used to it, and normal volume drwons it out thankfully.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Are all the DLPs noisy like that?
Nope. Newer Samsungs use an air-bearing and you can't even hear the fan, let alone the color wheel.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
If it's a loud hum somewhat reminiscent of an electric razor, try laying hands on the case in different spots. If it stops, you've got the same sort of sound I had last night. Try putting something soft under the front feet. Or, see if it's the access card that's buzzing.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Is it possible the OP's fan could be loose or occasionally hitting the case? You hear this sometimes in cheaper drive enclosures for DVD burners etc.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
Agreed. My Sammy is whisper quiet. Definitely hear the hard drive though when it's quiet enough.
I have a Sammy too and I don't hear it or my HR20...I do hear a very slight fan noise from my add-on fan...but I set the noise level on that fan myself (so I can't complain) with my speed control. With an ambient room temp of 67 degrees, my HR20 shows 106 degrees at the moment. Without my add on fan, I get 127 degrees.

(I'm not starting a new temp thread...we've beat that one to death...just sharing the temp because we were discussing "noise" and my primary source of noise is my add-on fan. I've had my HR20 for about 10 weeks.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am I just expecting too much? I tried putting something underneath the feet. Nothing is rattling though. It's not really that loud, but I would prefer not hearing it when I sleep. The only thing that helps is completely covering the top. Anyone think this is a good idea?

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
islesfan said:

Good one! Am I the only one who got that?! :imwith: Seemed to get skipped right over. Actually, I think the "fans" of the HR20 are still yet TBD, much like that of the OTA.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
deucefranchise said:
the two units i have had have both made really loud fan noises also, just something we have to deal with i guess
We could always bust open our DVRs and install a liquid cooling system!! (Please don't, it was just a joke) I'm sitting next to mine right now and the 5 fans in my computer are far louder than the HR20. IF you were able to open the box VOIDING THE WARRANTEE and basically breaking something that's not entirely yours, they do make quieter fans that you can get from CompUSA or other stores...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.