DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I know that a lot has been written about these two lacking features, and I know that TiVo has patents on them. But, the thing I miss most about my TiVo was the auto back track when you fast forward (and the same for rewinding) so that you don't have to manually go back each time. I would think that the HR20 could still accomplish this feature in a technically different way then TiVo so that it still worked!!!

Same with flipping between tuners and watching more than one show at a time!

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
tonycrf said:
OK. I know that a lot has been written about these two lacking features, and I know that TiVo has patents on them. But, the thing I miss most about my TiVo was the auto back track when you fast forward (and the same for rewinding) so that you don't have to manually go back each time. I would think that the HR20 could still accomplish this feature in a technically different way then TiVo so that it still worked!!!
Instead of hitting Play to jump out of FF, use Skip Back - it works pretty well. Alternately, just chain a few 30-Sec Slips together to get past the commercial break and if you overshoot, a couple Skip Backs gets you right where you need to be in nothin' flat.

Same with flipping between tuners and watching more than one show at a time!
Just press the Record button on the first thing, change channels to your second show and do the same. Then use the Playlist to go back and forth between them. For 90% or more of what people actually use dual-tuners for, this works just fine. And yes, I'm used to TiVo - used it for over five years and still have two Series 1 DirecTivos active on the account.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Both of those work arounds work just fine especially for FWD jump back however I have a small issue with the DLB workaround. With my R10 upstairs I can use the Live TV button to go back and forth between two show easily. If I am tired of one of those two I can right there and then switch channels and still be on the otther one without having to go into list to stop the recording and then record another show on the channel I stopped before.

I don;t use it as much as I used to anyway but if I were to use it the true DLB wins hands down.

I am still very grateful for the work around and have used it several times.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LameLefty said:
Instead of hitting Play to jump out of FF, use Skip Back - it works pretty well. Alternately, just chain a few 30-Sec Slips together to get past the commercial break and if you overshoot, a couple Skip Backs gets you right where you need to be in nothin' flat.

Just press the Record button on the first thing, change channels to your second show and do the same. Then use the Playlist to go back and forth between them. For 90% or more of what people actually use dual-tuners for, this works just fine. And yes, I'm used to TiVo - used it for over five years and still have two Series 1 DirecTivos active on the account.
Thanks for the quick reply. This is basically what I do now, but being a lazy man in a lazy world, I still much prefer the TiVo approach. I guess I wish that DTV had worked out with TiVo. It seemed to me to be a great solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.