DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Federal Communications Commission team reviewing the pending merger between EchoStar and DirecTV is back on the clock.

That could mean a decision from the agency on the deal may surface sometime in the fall, possibly November. The FCC review was halted in March while the agency waited for documents from the companies.

According to wire reports, the FCC tries to complete its review of license transfers within 180 days. It had stopped the clock for the EchoStar deal on the 77th day. Still, the 180-day clock is not always adhered to when involving big deals, like the FCC review of the AOL-Time Warner merger, which lasted almost a year.

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)

· Icon
844 Posts
I liked the part of the story which mentions that the FCC feels that merger complaints made by the NAB and NRTC were "without merrit". Sure sounds like a merger-friendly FCC to me!

· Banned
6,970 Posts
From what I am hearing the merger is as good as approved.

From what I understand there will be some guidelines that Echostar must agree to for the merger to be approved.

Of course while sources have been telling me things, don't in no way consider this official. :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
..if they take away my UTV, or try to replace it with a 501, I'm gonna be p!ssed.

For some, the merger may be a great idea. For me, personally, the merger offers me nothing I don't already have.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
I would get YES, most likely......so, I'm all for it...even if it is AFTER the World Series (which will be on network TV anyway).

Who knows, the strike might also make it a moot issue.

I'm curious to see what they do about the PVRs with DirecTV clearly ahead of Echostar in that dept. (partnerships with Tivo and UTV).

I am concerned about the fees though. I foresee the customer picking up the tab for merger costs....even with FCC restrictions in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.