1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FCC Silences Staff on DBS Merger

By Ted Hearn
Multichannel News
10/21/2002 4:32:00 PM

Until further notice, members of the Federal Communications Commission and the agency's 2,000 employees are barred from discussing the proposed merger between EchoStar Communications Corp. and DirecTV Inc. parent Hughes Electronics Corp.

On Oct. 10, the FCC rejected the merger as anti-competitive and assigned it for hearing before an administrative law judge. On Oct. 18, the commission released a lengthy order explaining its decision.

Read the rest at http://www.tvinsite.com/multichannelnews/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=105406&display=breakingNews

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that this order for Silence may have come under the request of the Justice Department.

I have been told by 2 diffrent contacts that the Justice Department was upset that the FCC rules before they did on the merger.

Something tells me that we might see a wierd twist in this merger that might up getting this thing approved.

· Godfather/Supporter
2,029 Posts
I too "Smell" a twist in this next decision. I certainly don't have any inside info, just from reading accounts since the denials it seems some have come out to support the merger under certain terms. Contrary to what has been reported, the rural aspect IS a plus for the merger. Look for that to be addressed more by those looking at the merger than the first time.

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sorry thing about all of this is that the public has no idea whats going on now.

Echostar & DirecTV have submitted modifications to the DOJ (and possibly now the FCC) yet the American public has ZERO idea what these changes are.

What about a public comment period so that we the citizens of the US get a chance to voice our opinions on if the merger and the changers are good for us or not.

Am I the only one who is concerned about not hearing what the changes are?

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I agree, it has no chance, but I just feel sorry for that poor fat lady who has been tuning up for so long and still can't sing.

· Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
I do not agree this deal has no chance and the article you posted did not indicate that to me as well. I do believe the possible Cablevision deal is a uphill battle in saving the merger, but it does have a chance. Personally I like the idea because the New E* will have the full conus transponders they need to offer locals in all 210 dma's and be able to offer a more robust service because duplication of all those channels can be eliminated and at the same time their will be a new DBS competitor as well as cable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.