DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Federal Communications Commission soon will release its second report on how digital television should be carried on cable, FCC Chairman Michael Powell told Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) in a letter sent last Friday.

'Among other matters, the Order I plan to present to the Commission will address issues related to the carriage of both analog and digital television broadcast signals during the transition, and the carriage rights of multiple digital programming streams delivered over a single 6 Megahertz channel,' Powell wrote.

Powell was quick to oblige Markey, issuing a rule on August 8 that all new TV sets with screens larger than 36 inches must have digital TV tuners by July 1, 2004.

All new TVs with screens larger than 13 inches, VCRs, and DVDs also will be required to have tuners by July 1, 2007.

http://www.tvinsite.com/broadcastingcable/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=98458&display=breakingNews

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
That still doesn't answer the question. Why would a DVD player need a tuner?

· Godfather
258 Posts
I think they mean DVD recorders here. The order also applies to TV tuner cards for PCs and any computer monitors that have built-in TV tuners. What I want to know is what will happen to those handheld 2 or 3 inch LCD TVs? Will they just go away since the digital standard at present doesn't support them?

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
Several have them now. It is imply a convenience for those who use the DVD player to control everything. No one is being forced to use that tuner but it is often there. Admittedly it will increase cost. This might be a good argument AGINST including them.

· Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
Will these have the analog tuners as well or just digital tuners? How are we going to make things compatible with each other so that one thing will play on another standard of technology? Are we going to have convertor boxes to solve the solution of this?

Also can they make vcr tapes be able to record such high quality as HDTV and DTV ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.