DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FCC Commissioner Kevin Martin said last week that he remains concerned about EchoStar's implementation of the "carry one, carry all" provision contained in the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act (SHVIA).

In a speech before the Texas Association of Broadcasters in Austin, Martin said he still thinks EchoStar's practice of placing some, but not all, local stations on a second dish violates the SHVIA statute as well as FCC rules.

"I understand that EchoStar has continued with this practice, albeit with more disclosure to consumers," Martin said. "I do not view increased disclosure as remedying the underlying discrimination, and I continue to be concerned that EchoStar is disregarding SHVIA and our rules."

Martin also told the group that the FCC is committed to the transition to digital TV.

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)

· God Bless America!
2,534 Posts
What do they expect them to do? Put EVERYTHING on the side slots for some towns? Therefore putting everybody in a WORSE position? The NAB doesn't realize one thing - they want Echostar to use bandwidth which DOESN'T EXIST!

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
Well the problem is that Echostar could move more DMAs on to the main satellites. Instead of moving some of the NE stations to E7, they added more markets like Vermont. They have capacity to move a lot of the stray stations onto spots and on to the main satellites, but instead they are adding new markets. While they did not have the capacity at the beginning of the year, they could have probably moved most markets by now.

I realize that they are not using all the spots on E7 at this time because they want to use E8 also, but it is strange to make markets wait. Almost makes you think that they will not move all stations to main sats.

Why is a spot on S. CA sitting unused when they could turn it on and move the ones from 148 to 119?

Why did they add Vermont instead of moving a few from 61 to 119?

Why did they add Waco when there are still Houston markets on 148 instead of using the excess capacity from E8 to add Waco?

Why do they have 2 unused transponders on 110? (I know moving stuff around for E8, but still they have had this space since E7 went up)

They have no reason to have the top 10 markets at least on the main. They could have probably put the top 20 on them with just E7.

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
well they could put SOME cities on the main satellite and SOME on the side satellite. That would satisfy the law and regulation.

· Legend
220 Posts
Gee... DTV doesnt seem to have a problem putting everything on one dish, with fewer transponders and only 1 spotbeam sat right now.

I hope the guy who designed E7 and E8s spots no longer has a job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.