DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my ViP722 for a few months now and overall I'm quite happy with it. I just had a few questions about it that I'm hoping you guys could answer for me:

1. I live by myself but I have two TVs setup: my main HDTV that is hooked up via HDMI and my second standard def. TV in my bedroom hooked up via coax as TV2. Since both TVs would never be in use at the same time, using single mode with the TV2 output enabled is probably the ideal situation for me (that way I get to use both tuners on both TVs, share custom channel lists, etc). However, the problem when I use single mode is that the image isn't properly formatted for a SDTV. That is, if I watch an HD channel on my SDTV with dual mode enabled, it properly displays the image in letterbox format. However, with single mode, not only does it display the image in widescreen (the same as it would be displayed on TV1), but I don't even have a letterbox format option when I press the Format button on my remote. This is really frustrating as this is the only thing that keeps me from using single mode which is really what I want. Is there any way to fix this?

2. If I am watching live TV and I press pause and then press play within a couple of seconds, it will actually jump back to live TV and I'll miss what happened during the pause. Does anyone else experience this? This seems like a pretty blatant bug to me.

3. If I have something scheduled to record and I turn on my TV during this time, it begins displaying the live TV of my recorded event. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally spoiled the middle/end of a show by doing this. Is there any way to not start up in live TV and just show me my recorded programs? At least this way I could have the chance to watch something I've recorded instead.

4. If I press pause while watching a recorded show and ultimately turn the TV off, I can come back later and I have a Resume option on that show which is very convenient. However, if I'm watching a show that I am recording live, and I press pause, I don't get a resume option later. Is there any way to get the DVR to remember where I was when watching the event live?

5. When I press the record button to record the program that I am currently watching, it will just record the remainder of the show. Is there any way for it to record the beginning of the show as well (of course I would have to have watched the beginning for it to be able to record it)? For example, if I get 10 minutes into a 30 minute program and I press record, it will record the remaining 20 minutes, but I'd like it to also record the 10 minutes that I've already seen (I know it still has those 10 minutes since I can rewind to the beginning).

· Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
DaCypher said:
I've had my ViP722 for a few months now and overall I'm quite happy with it. I just had a few questions about it that I'm hoping you guys could answer for me:

1. I live by myself but I have two TVs setup: my main HDTV that is hooked up via HDMI and my second standard def. TV in my bedroom hooked up via coax as TV2. Since both TVs would never be in use at the same time, using single mode with the TV2 output enabled is probably the ideal situation for me (that way I get to use both tuners on both TVs, share custom channel lists, etc). However, the problem when I use single mode is that the image isn't properly formatted for a SDTV. That is, if I watch an HD channel on my SDTV with dual mode enabled, it properly displays the image in letterbox format. However, with single mode, not only does it display the image in widescreen (the same as it would be displayed on TV1), but I don't even have a letterbox format option when I press the Format button on my remote. This is really frustrating as this is the only thing that keeps me from using single mode which is really what I want. Is there any way to fix this?
The only way around this I can think of is, you would have to go into the HDTV Setup page, when watching your bedroom TV, and change the 16:9 setting to one of the 4:3 letterbox settings.

DaCypher said:
2. If I am watching live TV and I press pause and then press play within a couple of seconds, it will actually jump back to live TV and I'll miss what happened during the pause. Does anyone else experience this? This seems like a pretty blatant bug to me.
A minor "bug." The work-around is to leave it paused for at least 3 full seconds.

DaCypher said:
3. If I have something scheduled to record and I turn on my TV during this time, it begins displaying the live TV of my recorded event. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally spoiled the middle/end of a show by doing this. Is there any way to not start up in live TV and just show me my recorded programs? At least this way I could have the chance to watch something I've recorded instead.
This depends on the priority of the event you're recording. If it takes president over other events, the 722 will change to the channel to be recorded, at the time the recording begins. The work-around is, when you see the Red LED lit, turn your TV on first, and then press MUTE, then power up the 722. This way you won't hear what is happening, and have enough time to change channels.

DaCypher said:
4. If I press pause while watching a recorded show and ultimately turn the TV off, I can come back later and I have a Resume option on that show which is very convenient. However, if I'm watching a show that I am recording live, and I press pause, I don't get a resume option later. Is there any way to get the DVR to remember where I was when watching the event live?
Resume is only available for fully completed recordings. It is not possible to "bookmark" a recording in progress.

DaCypher said:
5. When I press the record button to record the program that I am currently watching, it will just record the remainder of the show. Is there any way for it to record the beginning of the show as well (of course I would have to have watched the beginning for it to be able to record it)? For example, if I get 10 minutes into a 30 minute program and I press record, it will record the remaining 20 minutes, but I'd like it to also record the 10 minutes that I've already seen (I know it still has those 10 minutes since I can rewind to the beginning).
If the show has been on (receiver on and tuned to channel) since its' beginning, press REW x300 to reverse to the beginning of the show, and the start the recording.

· Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, it looks like I'll need to get creative with the workarounds. I guess I was hoping there were some hidden options somewhere that addresses some of these issues. Oh well...

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

· Godfather
253 Posts
Ken Green said:
The only way around this I can think of is, you would have to go into the HDTV Setup page, when watching your bedroom TV, and change the 16:9 setting to one of the 4:3 letterbox settings.

A minor "bug." The work-around is to leave it paused for at least 3 full seconds.

This depends on the priority of the event you're recording. If it takes president over other events, the 722 will change to the channel to be recorded, at the time the recording begins. The work-around is, when you see the Red LED lit, turn your TV on first, and then press MUTE, then power up the 722. This way you won't hear what is happening, and have enough time to change channels.

Resume is only available for fully completed recordings. It is not possible to "bookmark" a recording in progress.

If the show has been on (receiver on and tuned to channel) since its' beginning, press REW x300 to reverse to the beginning of the show, and the start the recording.
A second option to the last question is to select options when you hit the record key and then tab down to record entire event.

· Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I just tried the pause button instead of the play button, but it has the same problem: if I unpause within a couple of seconds of pausing, it will awkwardly jump back to live TV and skip the few seconds of TV in between.

Also, it looks like the record entire event option is only available if you started watching the show when it first started. So if I started a minute or two late, and then decide 10 minutes later that I'd like to record the whole show, I don't have that option.

· Hall Of Fame
1,203 Posts
DaCypher said:
Ok, I just tried the pause button instead of the play button, but it has the same problem: if I unpause within a couple of seconds of pausing, it will awkwardly jump back to live TV and skip the few seconds of TV in between.

Also, it looks like the record entire event option is only available if you started watching the show when it first started. So if I started a minute or two late, and then decide 10 minutes later that I'd like to record the whole show, I don't have that option.
You have to have been tuned to the same station that you want to record in order to record the entire event otherwise it won't be in the buffer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.