DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the OC yesterday and used the FF 3x through the commercials. When I stopped, just after the commercial, I had to hit the quick rewind button about 7 times. This happened all the way through the program. It would stop right where it should have, but when it actually started playing it was way ahead.

The OC is in mpeg 4. I did a test with other HD programming from hbo etc and did not have any issues. Was this ever found to be mpeg 4 related?

Las Vegas recorded last night so I will check it out.

Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
There is a thread about this, but Earl suggested using 2x instead of 3x and that's what I've started to do for HD stuff. On HD with 2x, it takes me usually 2 replays to get back whereas with 3x, it would take 6-7 replays (like you). On SD with 3x, it takes me 3-4 replays to get back to the beginning, so I just use 3x for SD and 2x for HD.

· Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtnagel said:
There is a thread about this, but Earl suggested using 2x instead of 3x and that's what I've started to do for HD stuff. On HD with 2x, it takes me usually 2 replays to get back whereas with 3x, it would take 6-7 replays (like you). On SD with 3x, it takes me 3-4 replays to get back to the beginning, so I just use 3x for SD and 2x for HD.
Right, but that is just a band aid. This issue looks to have been directly related to the program (The OC) or broadcaster that night. Las Vegas recorded friday night and I just watched it. I was able to use 3x FF and stop when I saw the program start. Then just 2 clicks back and I am there. I was worried this was the same thing as the previous update where there was a looping etc issue, but I dont think that was the case.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
mjs31 said:
Right, but that is just a band aid. This issue looks to have been directly related to the program (The OC) or broadcaster that night. Las Vegas recorded friday night and I just watched it. I was able to use 3x FF and stop when I saw the program start. Then just 2 clicks back and I am there. I was worried this was the same thing as the previous update where there was a looping etc issue, but I dont think that was the case.
You must have very good reaction time because, like I said, it usually takes me like 6-7 replays on HD stuff for me to get to the beginning of a show after FFing a commercial. I've never noticed any difference between any HD stuff. And like I said, SD is easier to stop where you want.

· Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtnagel said:
You must have very good reaction time because, like I said, it usually takes me like 6-7 replays on HD stuff for me to get to the beginning of a show after FFing a commercial. I've never noticed any difference between any HD stuff. And like I said, SD is easier to stop where you want.
Yep. SD is much easier. The previous (or 2nd to that one) software update had issues with FF causing it to jump ahead nearly 1 minute. It was resolved in recent updates. Still have no idea why Thursday nights program did the same thing. It was Mpeg4 and may have been something in the broadcast.

As for my quick reaction...it does take practice and even then I miss occasionally :)

· Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it happened again. Hit play after FF through the commercials and it jumps ahead about 1 minute from where I stopped. Funny thing was...this one happened on "The war at home". This show is also on Fox. "The OC" which is on fox, was that other one. I wonder why certain broadcasters tend to do this. Again...it stops right when you hit the play button, but then it ends up jumping ahead about 1 minute. Only on Fox I guess.

· Icon
797 Posts
I notice this too, it drives me crazy because 3x doesn't even go that fast when you're running it, yet when you hit stop it jumps a full minute or more ahead. It usually takes about 3-4 seconds on 3x FF to go by a minute of time.

This usability fix would go a long way for my. It makes ffing through the commercials tough.

Xaa

· Legend
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Xaa said:
I notice this too, it drives me crazy because 3x doesn't even go that fast when you're running it, yet when you hit stop it jumps a full minute or more ahead. It usually takes about 3-4 seconds on 3x FF to go by a minute of time.

This usability fix would go a long way for my. It makes ffing through the commercials tough.

Xaa
Yep.. I had it really bad with a previous software update. All channels would do it. Now it is only getting me on the fox channels. All others stop right where they are when I hit the play button. Just strange to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.