DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There -

I have been searching thru the posts looking for anyone else who is experiencing this problem. If it has been addressed already, please provide the link to the discussion.

Here's the issue: I hooked up by HR20 yesterday (still awaiting the 0x104 update), but since then, the rear-channel audio has been coming thru the front speakers. Rear speakers aren't hooked up (long story) so I don't know if the front channels are coming thru the rear speakers.

I have seen some people have issues with their fiber optic audio hook-up. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
231 Posts
litzdog911 said:
This sounds more like an AV Receiver setup issue. Tell us more about your surround sound system and how you've configured your AV Receiver.
check the seting on your AV receiver. On mine I have the choice for

2 channel stereo
3.1
5.1
or 7.1
chances are yours is set up to decode 5.1 channels
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry - should have had more details. My receiver is set up to decode 5.1 channels. On my old H20 - the DD audio worked fine. I made no changes to my set up other than change out the DirecTV box to the HR20. Make sense?
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,471 Posts
UrbanDad said:
Sorry - should have had more details. My receiver is set up to decode 5.1 channels. On my old H20 - the DD audio worked fine. I made no changes to my set up other than change out the DirecTV box to the HR20. Make sense?
Does your AV receiver tell you what DD mode it is in?

My usual guess in situations like this is that the satellite receiver isn't set to put out the right kind of signal. I would suspicion that it is set to PCM instead of DD.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
harsh said:
Does your AV receiver tell you what DD mode it is in?

My usual guess in situations like this is that the satellite receiver isn't set to put out the right kind of signal. I would suspicion that it is set to PCM instead of DD.
The receiver does tell me I am in 5.1 mode. It even has a display showing me which channels are active. In this case, all five speakers are receiving a signal from the box. I have gone thru the settings on the HR20 to make sure DD is activated. Still, rear channel audio coming thru the front speakers.

Totally weird. I've had to resort to *gasp* using the speakers on the TV for the time being!
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,471 Posts
I can't imagine any way that the HR20 could be influencing the multiplexing of the channels. If it were mangling the signal at all, it would be noise.

As for having to use the TV speakers, can you choose basic stereo mode on your AV receiver?

How do you know you are getting rear channel through the fronts? In a 5.1 system, much of the sound should be coming from the center channel.

Another observation that I would offer is that while some programming is embedded with a DD 5.1 signal, all the channels aren't always there.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
UrbanDad said:
The receiver does tell me I am in 5.1 mode. It even has a display showing me which channels are active. In this case, all five speakers are receiving a signal from the box. I have gone thru the settings on the HR20 to make sure DD is activated. Still, rear channel audio coming thru the front speakers.

Totally weird. I've had to resort to *gasp* using the speakers on the TV for the time being!
UrbanDad, did you ever get this problem fixed? I am having the exact same problem you were. The only way my receiver works is if I run All Channel Stereo. If I have it in any surround modes the rear channels come through all 7 speakers! I've only had my HR-20 for a couple of weeks and I'm really disappointed with it and my HR-15. I just switched from Dish Network and never had any hardware problems like these! And my receiver worked with the Dish Network HD DVR and there have been no configuration changes since then.

Thanks,
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
206 Posts
keesor said:
UrbanDad, did you ever get this problem fixed? I am having the exact same problem you were. The only way my receiver works is if I run All Channel Stereo. If I have it in any surround modes the rear channels come through all 7 speakers! I've only had my HR-20 for a couple of weeks and I'm really disappointed with it and my HR-15. I just switched from Dish Network and never had any hardware problems like these! And my receiver worked with the Dish Network HD DVR and there have been no configuration changes since then.

Thanks,
This seems obvious - but does DD or DTS work with the correct speaker configuration if you use a DVD player and Optical though the same receiver?

Is it possible you have some speaker wires mixed up?

Give us some more details - hardware, etc.

On my Pioneer AV49TXi and Denon 3805 both connected to the HR20s via optical I have no issues with DD sound on movies or HD chanels in 5.1.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
As I stated before, only two weeks ago I had a Dish Network HD DVR hooked up to the same receiver with the same cables. The DVD player still works fine and so does my Xbox 360, both through optical connections. I noticed tonight that switching from a non DTS/DD station to a DTS/DD station the receiver does recognize that it is DTS/DD and switches accordingly.

Here is my setup.

Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver
HR-20 with component video and optical audio to receiver
Onkyo DV-CP701 DVD player with component video and optical audio to receiver
Paradigm Monitor 11 fronts
Paradigm Monitor CC-370 center
Polk R-15 Rear and Side Surrounds
Paradigm Reference Servo-15 Sub

I've had this system hooked up for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems like this. I'm thinking that this might be an isolated problem with the HR-20 and I might just need to get a new one.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
206 Posts
Maybe Earl can help.

Perhaps the internal wiring in the unit is screwed up? How else would front/rear be reversed?

Do you have the same issue on the stereo analog outs? What about with non-DD programing?
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Actually it's not that the front and rear are reversed, it is that when in surround mode it plays the rear channels through all of the speakers, the front channel signals are not played through any of the speakers. But all 7 speakers are playing the rear channel sounds.

For example, I was watching the pregame for the OSU game the other night. You could hear the fans and the stadium announcer but the commentators talking before the game were extremely muffled and could barely be heard. If I switch to All Channel Stereo, everything can be heard again.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top