DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got the HR20-700S installed on saturday. And I had it put in a spare bedroom until the bugs get worked out. Well lets say it got pressed into duty sooner than later.

Also, the AT9 dish is getting alot better signal the my old Plus dish.

I was watching the Raven/Bengals game and my normally trusty HR10-250 started freezing up every 15 seconds then unfreezing w/audio cutting in and out. It was so bad I had to move the HR20-700S to my main theatre room, a decision that was hard to do but football is my life so I had to do it.

Now my HR20-700S is in my main room and all I can say is WOW:D :D :D ... This thing is sweet. I love this thing.
The one big difference I noticed is that SD on the the HR20-700S look awesome, and on the HR10-250 they were bluury/soft.

The only problem is I cannot seem to program the remote to control the volume on my Denon AVR-3806 receiver.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
A nice Harmony remote will solve all issues. Even if you get a new piece of hardware later down the road, the Harmony will work with that too. There are lots of different flavors but I think these remotes make the entertainment system so much more easy to configure and watch. The problem with hard coded remotes, they dont work with all hardware and dont have upgrade paths.

I love my HR20 too. Still use the HR10's for OTA but I actually prefer the HR20. And I dont have issues with it either like some of the unlucky ones.

·
Legend
222 Posts
Blitz68 said:
Well, I finally got the HR20-700S installed on saturday. And I had it put in a spare bedroom until the bugs get worked out. Well lets say it got pressed into duty sooner than later.

Also, the AT9 dish is getting alot better signal the my old Plus dish.

I was watching the Raven/Bengals game and my normally trusty HR10-250 started freezing up every 15 seconds then unfreezing w/audio cutting in and out. It was so bad I had to move the HR20-700S to my main theatre room, a decision that was hard to do but football is my life so I had to do it.

Now my HR20-700S is in my main room and all I can say is WOW:D :D :D ... This thing is sweet. I love this thing.
The one big difference I noticed is that SD on the the HR20-700S look awesome, and on the HR10-250 they were bluury/soft.

The only problem is I cannot seem to program the remote to control the volume on my Denon AVR-3806 receiver.
Can anyone explain the apparent 'WOW" described here -- especially the SD differences??? SD is not in MPEG4, is it? Its the same satellite signals, aren't they? What gives???

·
Icon
550 Posts
Gmaxx said:
It's better signal processing. And the SD picture looks better than the r10 that it is replacing in my house. I am very surprised at how good the SD looks actually.
Exactly. The HR20 is just a newer box with next-generation scaler technology. It's not bleeding edge or anything, but it has simply improved over the hardware that was available when the HR10 was designed. I agree whole-heartedly with the assessment that the picture quality with the HR20 is far superior to the previous generation. Let's just get the kinks out of this thing and it will be awesome.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gmaxx said:
It's better signal processing. And the SD picture looks better than the r10 that it is replacing in my house. I am very surprised at how good the SD looks actually.
Yup. The DTivo boxes don't stand a chance against the new DTV boxes when it comes to picture.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Unbelievable HR20 Picture Quality in Standard Definition
We noticed the far superior Standard Definition Picture Quality of the HR20 as well. I have kept an old Tivo in the same room as a backup. It really knocks you over the first time you go from an HR20 SD broadcast back to SD from the old TiVo.

Great Sound
The other thing we noticed immediately was the sound quality. The HR20 5.1 sound is just amazing - every bit as good as any DVD. The sound is alive. Our last TiVo also has 5.1 but it is dead compared to the HR20. The separation is just not as good or as clear.

Speed Thrills
And then there was the speed. With the past TiVo's, changing the priority of your season passes took just under a lifetime to complete. OK, seriously, you had time to make lunch and read the mail. But the remote is dead and you don't dare power it down while it is re-prioritizing. The TiVos were so slow, it was like they were on the phone to a girlfriend. With the HR20, it takes seconds to move things around in the Prioritizer! You hit Done and you really are DONE.

Picture in List
We are loving the Picture in List that lets us still watch the program while we make changes or look through our recordings.

New Features
We are also loving the many Secret Buttons in the remote that allow us to let us Skip to Tickmarks, jump to the end or beginning, etc. We were amazed at all the Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue buttons do. We know it will wear off, but we are really liking the What's Hot and Interactive Content.

In one word:

Wow.

- Craig

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Great Sound
The other thing we noticed immediately was the sound quality. The HR20 5.1 sound is just amazing - every bit as good as any DVD. The sound is alive. Our last TiVo also has 5.1 but it is dead compared to the HR20. The separation is just not as good or as clear.

- Craig
I that should not be possible unless you have changed your receiver/decoder, the configuration of your receiver or some other part of your system down stream from the DD decode process. It is like saying music played when I am using one Ethernet card is sounds better then another Ethernet card. The Dolby Digital data should not be manipulated in the STB, the bits come, the stream is extracted and passed out the Toslink or SPDIF interface. PCM is a different story, that can be played with, but not the DD stream, BTW this is why you wont see sound effects from a STB on a DD stream, PCM maybe but not DD. The same 1's and 0's for DD 5.1 on the TiVo are the same 1's and 0's for the HR20 or for that matter any STB that supports DD. Assuming you are watching the same content the DD should be exactly the same. That is not to say you might not have other issues such as bit loss and jidder, on DD streams these STBs do not do a D to A to D conversion it is a digital pass through they are the same bits regardless of the STB.

·
Icon
550 Posts
btmoore said:
I that should not be possible unless you have changed your receiver/decoder, the configuration of your receiver or some other part of your system down stream from the DD decode process. It is like saying music played when I am using one Ethernet card is sounds better then another Ethernet card. The Dolby Digital data should not be manipulated in the STB, the bits come, the stream is extracted and passed out the Toslink or SPDIF interface. PCM is a different story, that can be played with, but not the DD stream, BTW this is why you wont see sound effects from a STB on a DD stream, PCM maybe but not DD. The same 1's and 0's for DD 5.1 on the TiVo are the same 1's and 0's for the HR20 or for that matter any STB that supports DD. Assuming you are watching the same content the DD should be exactly the same. That is not to say you might not have other issues such as bit loss and jidder, on DD streams these STBs do not do a D to A to D conversion it is a digital pass through they are the same bits regardless of the STB.
I agree. This seems like an odd thing unless these units have a DSP that is massaging the signal. It is possible, but not probable.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
btmoore said:
I agree also. The DD5.1 on the HR10-250 was awesome as it is on the HR20-700S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.