DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my installation completed last Friday, went to setup the HR20 on my HDTV last night, and I'm stuck.

When we power it on, it goes to a screen saying your receiver is starting, then another saying just a few more seconds. After a while on that screen, it goes black, then to a blue screen with the D* logo and says HDDVR on the side. It freezes here and the blue circular lights go off on the box. Never moves past this point.

Called Adv Tech Supp and they try to tell me it might not be receiving a signal, but I tell them the same tv has a D11 also, and I have switched out both inputs from the HR20 and they work fine on the D11, so it can't be a signal problem. They then proceed to tell me the unit is on backorder and cannot be acquired for what seems like a significant amount of time. Just great.

Anyone know any tricks they might not have available at Support? Something that would help me get this thing working before they can send me out another?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Try holding down the record and down button on the HR20 while it is initially booting up. This will cause it to reset everything and reformat the hard drive. If this doesn't work, you're probably out of luck until a replacement unit arrives.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
That doesn't sound like a signal issue.

What EXACTLY does it say on the screen with the HDDVR on it.
(Based on the working, we can dertimin if you are at least at version 0xDC)

Try pulling your HDMI connection (if you have one)
Try pulling your component connection, and use s-video 480i to the TV and see if that makes a difference.

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PoitNarf said:
Try holding down the record and down button on the HR20 while it is initially booting up. This will cause it to reset everything and reformat the hard drive. If this doesn't work, you're probably out of luck until a replacement unit arrives.
The tech told me to try doing these buttons as soon as the black screen appears, is this correct? Because when I did it, it basically just reset like it does when I press the red button, going back to the first blue screen.

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
That doesn't sound like a signal issue.

What EXACTLY does it say on the screen with the HDDVR on it.
(Based on the working, we can dertimin if you are at least at version 0xDC)

Try pulling your HDMI connection (if you have one)
Try pulling your component connection, and use s-video 480i to the TV and see if that makes a difference.
The screen it freezes on is blue, has the D* logo, says DirecTV underneath, + next to it, then HDDVR going up the side of the logo. That is it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
aphoward said:
The screen it freezes on is blue, has the D* logo, says DirecTV underneath, + next to it, then HDDVR going up the side of the logo. That is it.
Then it appears you don't have the latest software builds.

On the VERY FIRST SCREEN... that says welcome (kinda looks like an old DOS blue screen boot window)

Hit 02468 on your remote, one time.

This will force the unit to download the latest software build.

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just so you realize, I haven't even gone through any of the setup or anything yet, this was the first time trying to use the unit. Will it still be able to download if I haven't done the setup with the dish and everything?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
aphoward said:
Just so you realize, I haven't even gone through any of the setup or anything yet, this was the first time trying to use the unit. Will it still be able to download if I haven't done the setup with the dish and everything?
Yes. In fact, my box downloaded and installed the newest software a minute or two after the tech plugged it in and turned it on, before running setup.

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's strange then, cuz my box was actually plugged in and running since last Thursday or Friday, just not hooked to a TV yet.

Also, strangely this box was the only one the guy didn't put the access card into, it was still sealed in the bag, all the other boxes had the card in it, even tho they didn't have a tv either.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Have you tried connecting it yet via S-Video or Composite video (not HDMI or Component), at least to see if you get to the setup screens.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
If the external broad band converters (BBC) units are installed, remove them and hook your coax directly to the unit. See if that makes a difference.

Carl

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Have you tried connecting it yet via S-Video or Composite video (not HDMI or Component), at least to see if you get to the setup screens.
Earl is likely right here. I had the same problem during initial setup last night. The receiver would never fully boot up until I unhooked the HDMI and used component. Try that - reset with the red button, then when you see the first hello screen, type 02468 on your remote as mentioned above. Then your download should begin. The key is to make sure that after you download, you get a complete startup all the way to seeing working channels. If you don't, it means it's not likely you had a successful software install.

After I successfully installed the software and had a good reboot, I then added back the HDMI and it worked fine after that.

·
Legend
156 Posts
Component or Composite?

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Starrbuck said:
Component or Composite?
Not sure if you're asking me this question or not, but I unhooked HDMI, hooked Component, restarted, got the download, restarted fully to working channels, then added back HDMI. Earl mentioned above using S-Video or even Composite I suppose if necessary which would work also. The key is to get the latest download successfully installed and booted before you add back higher quality outputs. At least that was my experience.

·
9 Posts
Is anyone having trouble with remote--my Pause, Rewind, Fast Foward functions aren't working with Live TV. A drag with no instant replay for football!

·
Godfather
356 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Earl, there's a problem with componet too?

I hooked mine up via componet last night, got it to boot up. But was still having slugishness and freezes after my 3rd reset it wont boot again. I will try S-Video tonight.

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hooked it up with composite (it was previously on component, don't own HDMI cable or S-Video).

Did the code to force download, it actually went to the download screen. When it was complete, it did a reboot and went back to the 2 generic starting screens, then after a while went to a screen with the D* logo that was similar to the one I was stuck at previously, except this one said "Preparing to acquire satellite info" or something like that. Can't get beyond this screen....

Any ideas? Broken unit? :(

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
If someone has a problem while using component, it won't be the fault of the component connection.

Unlike HDMI, there is no handshaking with component, and the HR20 does not know if it is connected or not.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Bumping an ancient thread...
I'm having this same " Frozen on startup" on a HR20-100S unit that I just received this week from SolidSignal. Build date of 10/4/2007 in Mexico.
I started with component cables to an SD Television...so getting the output switched to 480i was my first issue.
Then "The screen it freezes on is blue, has the D* logo, says DirecTV underneath, + next to it, then HDDVR going up the side of the logo. That is it."

I've forced a software download as described above....still freezes on the same screen. Tried again several times, each time the box says new software found, completes to 100%, but then goes back to the HDDVR screen.

I've left it unplugged overnight, reformatted via RBR and "REC,Down button", etc.

·
ΔS > 0
1,972 Posts
I had similar problems with an HR21-700 I installed myself. I replaced a cheap barrel connector and a really cheap cable and solved it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.