1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
This website will also inform you if you are one of those, like me, who qualify for HD DNS but not SD, because D* carries our "local" SD stations, but not HD. "Local," in my case, is about 100 miles away.

D* has no timetable for adding our HD "locals" and I really wanted the networks in HD. It took several phone calls, but if I had known the real name of the department to ask for, one call might have done it.

The department is the "HD DNS Eligibility Department." You might have to go thru Retention to get it, because evidently first-level CSRs don't know about it.

·
Icon
965 Posts
I want to make sure I've got this right before I make some calls that I will be on hold for a long time. The eligibility screen says I am not eligible because I have grade A or B signals for Fox and NBC. However, I have no OTA Fox at all and the NBC signal is sporadic at best. I could go out and get another OTA antenna and point it directly at the NBC signal, because it is in a different direction than the CBS/ABC/PBS HD OTA signals that come in marvelously, to see if it is more constant that way, but how many antenna's does a guy have to get? Would this qualify me for DNS HD Fox and NBC in Directv's eyes, or would I still have to get waivers?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,887 Posts
MikeR7 said:
I could go out and get another OTA antenna and point it directly at the NBC signal, because it is in a different direction than the CBS/ABC/PBS HD OTA signals that come in marvelously, to see if it is more constant that way, but how many antenna's does a guy have to get?
The law doesn't take into consideration how much trouble it might be.
Would this qualify me for DNS HD Fox and NBC in Directv's eyes, or would I still have to get waivers?
You would not be able to score NBC if there is any chance that you can tune it. Fox is a maybe.

Only DirecTV will be able to tell you what they can (or will) do.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
harsh said:
The law doesn't take into consideration how much trouble it might be.You would not be able to score NBC if there is any chance that you can tune it. Fox is a maybe.

Only DirecTV will be able to tell you what they can (or will) do.
It's a little more complicated then that. Read the entire FCC SHEVRA law it applies to DirecTV and Dish network, and any other satellite carrier in the USA. I understand it's long and maybe many don't want to read, but don't comment unless you have read it completely.:D

Pay special attention to parts 3 and 5.

Here is a post so you can read: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68877

·
Legend
191 Posts
My case is actually the reverse.

I have had waivers for DNS for about 6 years now.
I receive SD from both NY/LA.
Until about a year ago, I received HD from both. Since then, the NY HD was shut off.
I am expecting that once my locals (Albuquerque) are available in HD, I will lose the LA HD channels as well.
I will, however, continue to receive SD from NY/LA, regardless of what D* broadcasts as my local channels, unless the local affiliates rescind the waivers that they issued. (Not sure if they really can, but doubt that they will. It's just not that big of an issue for them, according to the NBC affiliate contact I have, they gave out very few waivers, probably the same for the other nets.)

My point is that the SD and HD channels are treated separately, at least currently.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cbearnm said:
My case is actually the reverse.

I have had waivers for DNS for about 6 years now.
I receive SD from both NY/LA.
Until about a year ago, I received HD from both. Since then, the NY HD was shut off.
I am expecting that once my locals (Albuquerque) are available in HD, I will lose the LA HD channels as well.
I will, however, continue to receive SD from NY/LA, regardless of what D* broadcasts as my local channels, unless the local affiliates rescind the waivers that they issued. (Not sure if they really can, but doubt that they will. It's just not that big of an issue for them, according to the NBC affiliate contact I have, they gave out very few waivers, probably the same for the other nets.)

My point is that the SD and HD channels are treated separately, at least currently.
Read the SHEVRA post and it will tell you in detail. Based on your statements, you should not have been cut off even if you have HD locals now.

·
Icon
965 Posts
OK, I have determined that I probably need to put up another antenna and I'll be able to get the Eau Claire NBC with a good signal.

But the D* site has incorrect info on it. They say the Wausau Fox station is Digital and should have B grade signal. On the FCC website that station is not listed as broadcasting in Digital yet. Will I be able to convince D* by pointing them to that site to give me a Fox HD DNS?

·
Godfather
470 Posts
MikeR7 said:
OK, I have determined that I probably need to put up another antenna and I'll be able to get the Eau Claire NBC with a good signal.

But the D* site has incorrect info on it. They say the Wausau Fox station is Digital and should have B grade signal. On the FCC website that station is not listed as broadcasting in Digital yet. Will I be able to convince D* by pointing them to that site to give me a Fox HD DNS?
Same here, according to the site I have several Digital stations with Grade B status, according to antennaweb I would need a 100 ft antenna to get any of those stations, I know antennaweb is very conservative, but nothing less than a 100 ft would get me any of my local Digital channels.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
From my experience D* will not give you anything that their computer program does not allow, unless you get wavers.

The lady who turned on my HD DNS was very emphatic--"We have criteria we MUST go by..." She emphasized MUST. They are being very careful. Even though her computer showed that I am eligible, she went ahead to ask if I have a TV antenna attached to my house, and if there is any unusual circumstances that would prevent me from receiving the stations OTA.

I told her my circumstances are that I am almost 100 miles from the stations, totally surrounded by hills, and when I was a kid we had to run almost 2000 feet of feedline to the top of a hill to get ONE station clearly.

Really, they are very afraid of giving DNS to anyone in error. And the law, as I read it, does not REQUIRE them to give DNS to anyone.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
As of this moment, the qualification for receiving the digital feeds is the exact same as receiving the analog feeds.

Therefore, if you can receive an analog version of a network channel, you must get a waiver to get the digital feed of that network.

There is some rulemaking that will change the digital qualifications to the digital maps once they are released. Until then, to qualify for distant digitals one must be out of range of the analog locals (not digital).
cybrsurfrer said:
Read the SHEVRA post and it will tell you in detail. Based on your statements, you should not have been cut off even if you have HD locals now.
That is incorrect.

Since cbearnm lives in Albuquerque, and because the digital distants are most likely blanket waivers under the SHVIA/SHVERA, cbearnm cannot receive an HD feed from an earlier time zone. That is why the HD networks from New York were removed. That "no digital distants from earlier" is part of the SHVERA.

·
Icon
965 Posts
I sent an e-mail off to the GM of the Wausau Fox Station to see what his position is on waivers and I'll let you all know what he says.

·
Icon
553 Posts
paulman182 said:
This website will also inform you if you are one of those, like me, who qualify for HD DNS but not SD, because D* carries our "local" SD stations, but not HD. "Local," in my case, is about 100 miles away.

D* has no timetable for adding our HD "locals" and I really wanted the networks in HD. It took several phone calls, but if I had known the real name of the department to ask for, one call might have done it.

The department is the "HD DNS Eligibility Department." You might have to go thru Retention to get it, because evidently first-level CSRs don't know about it.
You have to be careful about calling it "HD." The rule is not whether you get a local in SD versus HD. The rule is all about an analog signal versus a digital signal.

For instance, in Terre Haute, Indiana (where I am originally from), DirecTV says I receive a "strong A" HD signal from my local CBS, Fox, and NBC affiliates. The thing is, although the CBS affiliate in Terre Haute is 1080i, the digital signal from the Fox and NBC affiliates are 480i... but they are digital... so in effect under the rules I cannot get DNS service for those networks.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
paulman182 said:

Or don't get trained enough...its all in the help screens, but that part is rather convoluted. If you have half a brain tied behind your back, and are an agent, stopping and READING the info would let them know about the "HD DNS Eligibility Department.". Its in the transfer list, fer goshsakes!

·
Mentor
25 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
DirecTV official site for DNS qualification still in use and valid:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

Check out the FCC/SHVERA laws about it here:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68877
I posted a similar post like this elsewhere, but I will try here also...

Ok...I called Direct and after quite awhile of checking my address, I was told I could receive East and West coast feeds from NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX. I asked "Are you 100% sure I can receive both feeds?" "I will be able to watch a show at 5pm on an eastcoast station and then again at 8pm on a westcoast station if I wanted to?" I was told again that my address qualifies for both.
I checked my address using the link posted above and it says I am not allowed to receive them.
I don't know which to believe. The customer service person put me on hold quite awhile so she could check and be sure, but the link says otherwise.
What do you think?

·
Banned
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OakIsle said:
I posted a similar post like this elsewhere, but I will try here also...

Ok...I called Direct and after quite awhile of checking my address, I was told I could receive East and West coast feeds from NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX. I asked "Are you 100% sure I can receive both feeds?" "I will be able to watch a show at 5pm on an eastcoast station and then again at 8pm on a westcoast station if I wanted to?" I was told again that my address qualifies for both.
I checked my address using the link posted above and it says I am not allowed to receive them.
I don't know which to believe. The customer service person put me on hold quite awhile so she could check and be sure, but the link says otherwise.
What do you think?
Hopefully you got the name of the rep, and hold them to the promise they made that you can get both!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
jasonblair said:
You have to be careful about calling it "HD." The rule is not whether you get a local in SD versus HD. The rule is all about an analog signal versus a digital signal.
For instance, in Terre Haute, Indiana (where I am originally from), DirecTV says I receive a "strong A" HD signal from my local CBS, Fox, and NBC affiliates. The thing is, although the CBS affiliate in Terre Haute is 1080i, the digital signal from the Fox and NBC affiliates are 480i... but they are digital... so in effect under the rules I cannot get DNS service for those networks.
That is true, but there is no reason for ME to mention that to a D* rep. Believe me, if I had used the word "digital" to the original CSR, he would have said something about ALL D* channels being digital, and would never have gotten the point.

My post was really meant for folks whom the site says are eligible. I'm not even in a B area--we were eligible for SD DNS until D* added our SD locals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.