DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020924/nytu058_1.html

"Fine Living will be added to the DIRECTV TOTAL CHOICE® programming package by Oct. 1 on DIRECTV channel 232, according to an agreement just signed between Scripps Networks and the nation's leading satellite television provider. This is the most widely distributed DIRECTV package, extending Fine Living's reach into an additional 10.7 million homes, most of which fit the upscale demographic that the new network's programming targets. "

Perhaps they haven't seen my house! :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,734 Posts
Hmm, retransmission consent at work again? ;) ;) ;)

The thing I find very interesting about this, is that it got added to TC basic & NOT to the TC+ pak. (what USED to be the family pak) Since FL is a new channel, you would have thought that if nothing else, FL would have been added to the TC+ pak & maybe DIY would have been moved out of the + pak & into TC basic instead. Or maybe DIY might get moved out of the + pak before too long.

Considering that all the cable co. have been adding FL to digital tiers only, it's kind of interesting that D* added it to TC basic - oh well.

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the All News Channel going bust and national Pax going off of TC, perhaps they added it to TC to keep people from b*tching. At least they are adding channels when others go away.

I personally don't have a use for FL, but my wife might. I thought with HGTV, DIY, and Dis H&L that we had enough decorating channels. I wonder if E* has plans to add this channel...

· Banned
11,498 Posts
And don't forget The Outdoor channel will be added into the sports pak and TC Premier

· Legend
181 Posts
Originally posted by AJ2086
What a wonderful wasted channel.
Food Network, and HGTV have been very successful channels airing original programming and not expensive to carry. Its also owned by Scripps Howard, though Tribune has a stake in Food Network. DIY and Fine Living complement the above two channels. You wont see E! Style on DirecTV, because Comcast owns it, and DirecTV and Comcast cant agree upon Comcast SportsNet Philadephia carriage. However, Dish carries it. Comcast does want providers to carry Style and G4 and doesnt charge alot for the channels.

Some missing channels on DirecTV I think would be popular would be the Starz! channels (but please Starz! needs to remove popup logos during movies), Cinemax and HBO premiums, Wisdom Television, CSPAN3 and BET Jazz.

There are not that many new cable channels. The ones missing like the MTV VH1s are owned by Viacom. Other cable networks belong to Cablevision or Hearst. Hearst owns(or controls) Lifetime Real Women Network a new channel.

As for GoodLife or Ovation, dont hold your breath. These channels have been around for many years, and have not made it onto DirecTV or Dish Network. The chances they get carried are about the same DirecTV starts a superstation package. I've given up the thought of these channels coming. Maybe Ovation has a small chance still.

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure my wife will find some nice, expensive projects for me to do while watching this, so maybe a shopping channel would be better as she doesn't watch them. :)

I don't think it is a wasted channel. The more varied interests the merrier (as long as it isn't more shopping).

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Trading SPaces" is on The Learning Channel (channel 280), not HGTV. While I'm not particularly excited about it, my wife is very interested. There are subs out there who like this kind of programming. Perhaps it is overkill, but how much extra are you paying for it?

305 Posts
My Response

I look forward to checking out Fine Living (DirecTV, channel 232, beginning Tuesday, October 1, 2002). I had the feeling it would get added this year -- come to think of it, there was speculation I had read somewhere that DirecTV was considering bring it in.

Also, contrary to the above poster who states not to expect DirecTV to add to its programming E! Entertainment Television's spinoff, style!, I believe that's erroneous. Comcast doesn't own style! outright (Comcast is partial owner of E!, style, and QVC) -- and if E! is available most everywhere, there's no reason style! would or should be treated differently. Comcast wants to protect its Philadelphia-based sports channel, Comcast Sports [Philadelphia].

There was a report sometime ago -- may have been "Satellite Direct" or its web site (or both) -- that said DirecTV had contemplated adding not only Fine Living but also style!, Great American Country, and Nickelodeon Games and Sports. It mentioned this by stating that one goal on behalf of DirecTV was to update its programming to be very comparable to Dish Network's. Yes, DirecTV played catchup, last year, with all those Discovery channel additions, as well as the History Channel International and VH1 Classics.

One great thing about what's happening with DirecTV: I kept the faith. I've checked out, for comparison, Dish Network programming at my local Sears. And I was at some point thinking maybe I oughta be with Dish. But I kept the faith -- sensing DirecTV had to play catchup with Dish (competitive reasons, of course!) -- and I can see that I've been wise. I've come across many Dish posters on DBSTALK.COM who are appalled by Dish Network -- make that Echostar CEO Charlie Ergen -- and the incessant claims that Dish can't add more substantial programming (that isn't locals…foreign stations…home-shopping services) due to an apparently desperate reliance on the fate of whether the proposed merger of Echostar/Hughes Electronics (yes, that's Dish Network/DirecTV) materializes.

P.S. I know and trust the many posters of DBSTALK.COM faithfully and respectfully. If anything I have mentioned in my response is inaccurate, please let me know. I consider most of it all as insightful information from which I learn very appreciatively. (Also worth mentioning: I haven't made up my mind what to predict in regards to the proposed merger of Dish Network and DirecTV. But the reading of many people's postings has been fascinating.) :hi:

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Lets see I get my choice now of a channel telling me adventures and travel in living.....and a kill em and grill em channel....Helluva choice there....Just a waste of 2 channels as stated above....add those to my PAX channels that I have blocked...LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.