DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Godfather
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is going to put the full court press on now to switch to fios. I know directv usually launches national channels in bunches, but a so called qvc insider on their forums said they have been in discussions with several carriers for qvc hd (its already running), but directv has not been one of them so far. Kind of surprising considering qvc and directvs past relationship.

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
dbsdave said:
My wife is going to put the full court press on now to switch to fios. I know directv usually launches national channels in bunches, but a so called qvc insider on their forums said they have been in discussions with several carriers for qvc hd (its already running), but directv has not been one of them so far. Kind of surprising considering qvc and directvs past relationship.
There's numerous HD channels that Cable and Fios offer that DirecTV currently doesn't. However, Cable and Fios line-ups are based on local infrastructure, so just because they add those channels some place doesn't mean you'll get then in your town. If you're otherwise happy with DirecTV, I would wait until the end of year to see whether DirecTV makes room for QVC HD on D11 and that your local Fios actually carries the channel.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I don't have a problem with the shopping channels being on D*, but does D* really need to dedicate bandwidth to this as an HD channel?

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
miller24 said:
I think it's funny that just because someone doesn't like a channel, it's a waste of bandwidth.
Yep, don't understand it.

n3ntj said:
I don't have a problem with the shopping channels being on D*, but does D* really need to dedicate bandwidth to this as an HD channel?
Nope. They don't need to dedicate any bandwidth to Hockey either, since far less customers watch that. Would that be better?

· Godfather
285 Posts
You would think Liberty Media owning DirecTV and QVC that they would've already added it.And as for a waste of bandwith,name another channel that brings in $7 billion dollars a year in sales.

· Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
QuickDrop said:
There's numerous HD channels that Cable and Fios offer that DirecTV currently doesn't. However, Cable and Fios line-ups are based on local infrastructure, so just because they add those channels some place doesn't mean you'll get then in your town. If you're otherwise happy with DirecTV, I would wait until the end of year to see whether DirecTV makes room for QVC HD on D11 and that your local Fios actually carries the channel.
That's true of traditional cable. It's not true of FiOS. FiOS has a national channel line-up. There are a series of upgrades going on in Verizon-land - just to clarify things:

1) They're first eliminating analogs and upping the number of QAMs in each market.

2) Shortly after that, they're doing a major channel reorg in that market, along with the addition of a number of HD and SD channels (e.g. here in Philly, we're set to get 24 new HD channel on 9/11).

3) Shortly after THAT, every market will get upgraded to the full slate of national HD channels.

NY was expedited for steps 2 and 3 to coincide with their roll-out of TV service in NYC. They got the franchise a couple weeks ago and they wanted to make a big splash. As a result, NY got #2 last week and is getting #3 this week. Northern NJ is also being expedited to some extent - they'll get the second slate of HD channels (to get them up to 100+) by the end of August. The rest of the markets are set to have #3 happen in early October.

When all is said and done, all markets will have 92 (by my count) national HD channels. Plus whatever local and RSNs they have for that market. Some markets have alot of locals, some considerably less. When we're fully upgraded we'll have 101 channels around here: 92 national, 8 local, 1 RSN. But the only difference from market to market will be the locals and RSNs. The national channels will be exactly the same.

Oh, and I do find it odd that DirecTV didn't have QVC HD already, considering (as someone said) that both are now owned by Liberty (go to QVC headquarters, and go on the tour, and you see a big picture of Malone at the very start of the tour). From what I understand, it's more like CNBC than anything else - not really HD, but they use the extra real estate for other information.

Oh, and the women on QVC are not to be messed with - my wife took a self-defense class with one of them (Lisa). We're not talking about some mild 'get away from me' class - but a class in Hagganah - a fighting style developed by the Israeli military. I wouldn't go up against them :).

· Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
lisa robertson or lisa mason....robertson was miss tennessee....total hottie.
Then I think it was robertson. She has a sort of southern accent, and my wife mentioned that she was a beauty pagent winner from a southern state. Not real sure - I've only talked with her a couple times (after I met my wife at her class). Extremely nice person, btw. Still, considering what they learn in that class - I was serious about not wanting to mess with them. Seriously nasty stuff - learning how to break necks and backs, and snap ankles - how to disarm someone pointing a gun at your chest, ripping off their trigger finger in grabbing the gun and turning it on them. When my wife came home and said 'well, I now know how to lock and load a semi-automatic handgun...' I said 'what the hell is he teaching you guys... and should I learn to sleep with one eye open :)'

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
jpl said:
That's true of traditional cable. It's not true of FiOS. FiOS has a national channel line-up. There are a series of upgrades going on in Verizon-land - just to clarify things:
But in your own post, you say every Fios system doesn't have the same national line-up. I'm sure every cable system is working to upgrade their systems too. All I was saying to the OP was don't switch providers based on promises, but on what they deliver.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.