DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· AllStar
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so pissed people. Like many of you, I have been waiting for the last several years for Directv to get their act together! Ithought with the launching last year of Directv'd new HD satellite and the recent launch of the new D11 this past March, DirecTV would have the most potent HD lineup Ever! Then comes the word that most of the 50 National HD capacity on their new bird are going to 23 rsn's that show crap during the day and infomercials during the night. Sorry! Chase Carey You F*** Up! You charge us high prices for programming and expect me to pay for what little I get?! (3 Cinemax's at $12.00?) You kidding right Chasey? Why the Hell are you competitors starting to sneek up on Directv? They see what the customers want. You don't ! Why does it cost me $74 bucks for Basic/Hd service when your competition offersbasic at a lower rate? (Fiostv $47.99) vs you $74.99. Enough said! Your Fired!

· Godfather
451 Posts
SPECIES11703 said:
I am so pissed people. Like many of you, I have been waiting for the last several years for Directv to get their act together! Ithought with the launching last year of Directv'd new HD satellite and the recent launch of the new D11 this past March, DirecTV would have the most potent HD lineup Ever! Then comes the word that most of the 50 National HD capacity on their new bird are going to 23 rsn's that show crap during the day and infomercials during the night. Sorry! Chase Carey You F*** Up! You charge us high prices for programming and expect me to pay for what little I get?! (3 Cinemax's at $12.00?) You kidding right Chasey? Why the Hell are you competitors starting to sneek up on Directv? They see what the customers want. You don't ! Why does it cost me $74 bucks for Basic/Hd service when your competition offersbasic at a lower rate? (Fiostv $47.99) vs you $74.99. Enough said! Your Fired!
that would be 23 total...NOT 23 new RSN's. If you want to save that money...go with FIOS. There are problems with the new DVR's, but D* has the better choice when it comes to HD programming especially over FIOS which is at best a regional player, but by all means go with them if they offer a compelling reason to switch.

· Godfather
279 Posts
I'm not sure this falls so much on Chase Carey as much as it does on higher ups at Liberty media. Look at how these people destroyed TCI cable by being cheap. By the time they were done with TCI, all their competitors were ahead of them. It looks like they are going down the same road with D*. This was my biggest concern when I heard that Malone and his cronies were buying out Rupert Murdoch. If anything, after all the gains Chase Carey made, he is probably as disappointed in having to make this announcement as we are in hearing it.

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
SPECIES11703 said:
Why does it cost me $74 bucks for Basic/Hd service when your competition offersbasic at a lower rate? (Fiostv $47.99) vs you $74.99. Enough said! Your Fired!
Instead "firing" the CEO, why don't you just fire DirecTV and go somewhere else if they piss you off so much?

· Registered
24,395 Posts
SPECIES11703 said:
So you read about things that are coming and assume that nothing else is ever coming? even thought we have seen signs of test channels on the new bird of channels that were not mentioned in today's announcement... That cinemax has been that price forever with so few channels (it goes up at the same rates as all the other premium channels do) and that maybe that's a bad contract that was written well before he was put in charge? Your doing a lot of yelling, but you sure aren't saying much... and I don't know where in cal you live, but where I live, no competitor offers anything close to the channels, and abilities as I have with Directv, and everything they are doing seems to be geared towards adding more and more services and channels.... And lets just see how many channels Directv isn't offering in HD that actually exists at the end of September...

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
I wonder if the OP would be as PO'd if he wasn't paying for both DirecTV and FIOS TV, as his sig indicates. And given he's got an HR21-700, I'm guessing he's still fulfilling a commitment period, and doesn't feel strongly enough about his rant to just pay the ETF and walk away. So he rails against the company. Well within his rights - but also just a bunch of white noise.

And I just don't know about post #3? I guess the word "cheap" isn't one that would come to my mind in describing a company who has just launched two brand new satellites and has a third one in the chamber to invest in their future in this business.

This thread makes me want to go fishing, what with all the trolling going on! :lol:

· Icon
798 Posts
SPECIES11703 said:
I find this post kind of ironic after the following was posted 3 months ago when there was a question posed If you would cut back on your programming packages due to the recession, it seems to me that money isn't an issue due to the value of TV or outside Entertainment, ie Movies

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1541644#post1541644

· Registered
14,213 Posts
cadet502 said:
Hmmmm.....

In this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=117342 the OP left Direct TV in January.

Yet in this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1471279#post1471279 he just got that HR21 in February.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm......
Good catch.

For easy reference:

01-25-2008:
SPECIES11703 said:
I don't know if this has happened to anybody else, but here goes. Verizon just recently offered their Fios service in my neighborhood. I switched my internet from Time Warner Cable and I am going to switch my TV service from DirecTV to the Fios TV service. I know that I will be missing out on some of the programming, MLB EI and the NFL Sunday Ticket. But I am going to be paying about $100 less a month having the bundle of Phone, Internet and TV together. Has anybody else noticed this with Verizon coming into their cities. The price is great and the programming is about equal to what DirecTV offers as far as Basic channels but I see Verizon offering 50% more of premium channels Directv has 12 cinemax channels to Directv's 3 and so fourth.
02-05-2008:
SPECIES11703 said:
When Directv installed mine last week, they were already connected to my HR21-700.
04-08-2008:
SPECIES11703 said:
Hell No!! With gas and everything going up. It's cheaper to watch movies on my HDTV at home than go to the movies, spend $11.00 on a ticket, $15.00 on food and gas parking etc. Hell of alot cheaper having all the premiums. And the comfort of your own home.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
aramus8 said:
I'm not sure this falls so much on Chase Carey as much as it does on higher ups at Liberty media.
While many of us familiar with his past weren't too excited to see Malone get controlling interest in DirecTV, there's nothing to be "falling on anyone's head" at this point. DirecTV has a new satellite successfully launched, and have announced the first steps to using this capacity. Not the final steps.

It is far too premature for the pitchforks to come out. They may never need to.

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
cadet502 said:
Hmmmm.....

In this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=117342 the OP left Direct TV in January.

Yet in this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1471279#post1471279 he just got that HR21 in February.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm......
Not necessarily. The OP may have gotten a retention offer that induced him to stay for another two years. The fact that he didn't specify that could be because he forgot what he had written earlier. Besides, his January post only said he intended to leave DirecTV-not that he had.

However, he does seem to have an inordinate craving for Skinamax... er, Cinemax.

· Godfather
279 Posts
SPECIES11703 said:
WOW GOOD LUCK!

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
OK, I think we've all made our point. Species11703, it's clear that you've given us conflicting messages.

If anyone is unhappy, please find a provider that makes you happy. However, it would be unwise to think that the current set of announcements are the last word from DIRECTV. By adding HD locals to two dozen markets, they're expanding their reach in a really meaningful way. By expanding RSNs, they are covering college sports in a way that pleases a lot of people. And of course, there will be more national HDs. This is only the first announcement of many.

· Legend
162 Posts
SPECIES11703 said:
I am so pissed people. (3 Cinemax's at $12.00?) You kidding right
I can't believe someone actually does sub skinamax. I only get it because it is a penny a year on E*. If I had to pay more than a $1 a month for it, I certainly wouldn't have it.

Don't you D* subs realize that D* has E* by the throat with its sports programing? Even though I love my 722 dual turner receiver, I may be forced to switch over to D* come hockey season, whereas E* doesn't pick up the HD feeds for my local hockey team, and D* and TWC both do, and I refuse to go through another hockey season of over compressed sd on my 52" hdtv. On top of that, you can't even get the Yankees games unless they are on national tv.

So I can understand why D* is making the RSNs HD fulltime. They are forcing the churn rate on E*, until they are ripe for a takeover/merger, which seems to be getting closer to reality.

· Legend
203 Posts
Islandguy43 said:
...So I can understand why D* is making the RSNs HD fulltime. They are forcing the churn rate on E*, until they are ripe for a takeover/merger, which seems to be getting closer to reality.
Right on. With XM/Sirius merger going through, there's rumblings of D* & E* heading that way too (especially as E* is showing net customer subscriber losses). Consolidation.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Instead "firing" the CEO, why don't you just fire DirecTV and go somewhere else if they piss you off so much?
That thought crossed my mind in reading the original post.

But that's the easy answer - in trying to address the underlying issue, which is what does a subscriber get for value, especially based on advertised HD channels and their expansion in number....you actualy have 3 choices:

1) Go someplace else (the easiest choice)

2) Enjoy what we get now, with the understanding there will be more HD channels coming from this new satellite - by the way...these new HD channel launches are phased with every provider...typically in 5-10 channel increments

3) Jump up and down, click your heals 3 times, and hope the phased deployment plan changes - it won't, but it might make you feel a bit better about it :D

Since the HD channel startup plan (with phases) would have been proposed, reviewed, and approved internally by a bunch of folks, and for a variety of business reasons that none of us is privy to.....it is what it is...

· Registered
2,570 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
That thought crossed my mind in reading the original post.

But in trying to address the underlying issue, which is what does a subscriber get for value, especially based on advertised HD channels and their expansion in number....you actualy have 3 choices:

1) Go someplace else (the easiest choice)

2) Enjoy what we get now, with the understanding there will be more HD channels coming from this new satellite - by the way...these new HD channel launches are phased with every provider...typically in 5-10 channel increments

3) Jump up and down, click your heals 3 times, and hope the phased deployment plan changes - it won't, but it might make you feel a bit better about it :D

In any case, it is what it is.

You got that right

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.