DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Icon
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me why i should use firefox instead of ie? I hear everyone telling me i need to use firefox but why? Yea i get you can customize it all all that but other than that why is it so better?

· Registered
1,681 Posts
cmtar said:
Can someone tell me why i should use firefox instead of ie? I hear everyone telling me i need to use firefox but why? Yea i get you can customize it all all that but other than that why is it so better?
Because it's not subject to Active X security crap.

But then again, neither is my Mac. :)

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
The security features are great - you can tell it to automatically forget everything you've typed --EVERYTHING-- when you exit. It runs faster, gives a cross-platform experience between Windows, Mac and Linux, and is so much more customizable.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
The security features are great - you can tell it to automatically forget everything you've typed --EVERYTHING-- when you exit. It runs faster, gives a cross-platform experience between Windows, Mac and Linux, and is so much more customizable.
Exactly... much like "Private Mode" in the Safari browser... which is still my browser of choice ...

· Icon
528 Posts
Those people claiming it's "faster" are the ones who've been using it for a while. It has NEVER been faster then IE. It's a resource hog and it's a second browser when you already have one.

You can claim a lot of things about Firefox, but speed has never been one of them. 3.0 might be better I guess.

Personally, I'm not one for installing alternative things when I already have one that works--and that's IE vs. Firefox for me. Why put on iTunes or Winamp when it comes with WMP?

Then again, I'm a Microsoft admin by trade :)

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I use Firefox instead of Safari because it's much more supportive of the java apps I need to run for work. Nothing against Safari, it just doesn't work for me.

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
xzi said:
Those people claiming it's "faster" are the ones who've been using it for a while. It has NEVER been faster then IE. It's a resource hog and it's a second browser when you already have one.

You can claim a lot of things about Firefox, but speed has never been one of them. 3.0 might be better I guess.

Personally, I'm not one for installing alternative things when I already have one that works--and that's IE vs. Firefox for me. Why put on iTunes or Winamp when it comes with WMP?

Then again, I'm a Microsoft admin by trade :)
Depends what version of IE you are talking about. If you are talking about IE6, well the Javascript engine in IE6 performance is horrible compared to FF and Safari. IE7 is better but still not there. Not even close.

In terms of standards compliance, even though IE7 has improved in this area FF and Safari once again are leaders here.

As for Speed, you have the right to your opinion but you might want to take a look around the net and you will find that the statement of FF NEVER being faster than IE is just not true. All the test I have seen and my personal experiences as a web developer that has just spent the last 2 weeks doing performance analysis on our web site with both FF and IE7 found that both perform pretty close in our application. Actually FF was about a second faster in most test. There are a lot of things that go into the perception of browser speed so one must be careful when making blanket statements like NEVER faster than IE because the data on the net just does not back this statement up.

I personally would not choose my primary browser based on speed alone. For me, FF is my primary because I like the flexibility, has great add-ons, and it renders 99% of the sites I go to (Ones is does not is because of proprietary IE only technology choices). Also, you can actually run FF2 and FF3 on the same machine at the same time unlike IE which makes it good for the transition time when upgrading.

You also can skin the browser.

Well My advice is.. Give it download and try using it as your primary browser. Look at the add-ons and play with it a bit. Can't hurt and if you don't like it uninstall it. I am in the camp that one should always have two browsers on a machine.

For the record during the day at work I use both since I develop web apps, but my preference is FireFox by a mile.

· Legend
114 Posts
I have some sort of minor problem with IE on my laptop which causes it to periodically freeze up until I minimize the screen and reopen it. Although a relative minor problem, it did occur much more often than I would like. I was not able to get the problem corrected so I loaded Firefox and have never had a moment's trouble with it freezing. I did keep IE on my laptop since I found that it was necessary for accessing certain information on Microsoft's website.

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 is more standards compliant than Internet Exploder. And, yes, Firefox 3 is much faster in rendering pages.

And, if you build quality web sites, you quickly learn that there are two ways of building websites.... the right way.... and the Microsoft way. Pages that render fine under Firefox, Safari, and Opera, and pass compliance tests sometimes do not render properly under Exploder.

· Godfather
495 Posts

· Godfather
256 Posts
There is no question that Firefox is more secure and faster. The share of people using it is increasing. The only reason there are not more then 30% is that a lot of people don't understand what is available to them, and just take whatever Microsoft feeds them :)

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,626 Posts
o Firefox 3.0 is much closer to the ideals of the W3C with respect to following the published web standards. Standards won't be a serious part of IE until at least version 8.

o If you're a web developer, you would almost certainly wish for a world full of Firefox clients as opposed to the rather disparate IE6 and IE7.

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
I really wish everyone would all jump from IE6 to IE7 at a minimum. It sure would make my life a lot easier. :D

· Icon
904 Posts
cmtar said:
I like the built in spell checker.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.