DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Icon
712 Posts
wcwman18 said:
Is their a way to capture over firewire with my HR24-100?
You can use the composite video output from the HR24 to one of boxes described in the following link:

http://www.macworld.com/article/39328/2004/07/firewiredigitalvideoconverters.html

If you do not want the SD message displayed from the new HD-UI, you will have to use the component video and an appropriate adapter like the one in this link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2

None of these adapters are going give you digital video or HD. Standard Def is the best you can hope for.

Best wishes!

· AllStar
73 Posts
allenn said:
You can use the composite video output from the HR24 to one of boxes described in the following link:

http://www.macworld.com/article/39328/2004/07/firewiredigitalvideoconverters.html

If you do not want the SD message displayed from the new HD-UI, you will have to use the component video and an appropriate adapter like the one in this link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2

None of these adapters are going give you digital video or HD. Standard Def is the best you can hope for.

Best wishes!
With the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR you can record 1080i video and 5.1 digital audio via the component outputs and digital audio outputs of any D* HD DVR or HD receiver. It works very well.

Jay

· Icon
678 Posts
jayerndl said:
With the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR you can record 1080i video and 5.1 digital audio via the component outputs and digital audio outputs of any D* HD DVR or HD receiver. It works very well.

Jay
Yup i have the 1212 its very versatile.
I use it for recording things off of my receiver (a Dish receiver) and also gameplay off my ps3, and even netflix shows/movies sometimes as well.
If it has component, svideo or RCA jacks the 1212 can interface with it, really the only downside is that the initial file is usually huge (20 minutes of HD= 1gb more or less). But that can be remedied by using a simple converter on your pc and compressing the file.

· Legend
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Inkosaurus said:
Yup i have the 1212 its very versatile.
I use it for recording things off of my receiver (a Dish receiver) and also gameplay off my ps3, and even netflix shows/movies sometimes as well.
If it has component, svideo or RCA jacks the 1212 can interface with it, really the only downside is that the initial file is usually huge (20 minutes of HD= 1gb more or less). But that can be remedied by using a simple converter on your pc and compressing the file.
I am looking for something that records on the fly MPEG-2 .TS Not sure that this item can do that.

· AllStar
73 Posts
wcwman18 said:
I am looking for something that records on the fly MPEG-2 .TS Not sure that this item can do that.
I'm not sure why you would want MPEG-2. I believe all Directv HD channels are in MPEG-4. The HD-PVR takes the analog component video and encodes on the fly to a H.264 (up to 1080i and 13 Mbits/sec) .ts file format.

Jay

· Icon
712 Posts
CCarncross said:
Since none of the Directv receivers have firewire output ports, that is a definite no.
Why won't any of the previously posted suggestions work?

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
allenn said:
Why won't any of the previously posted suggestions work?
They will, but the initial request to capture over firewire will not....I don't even know why such a question was even asked to be honest..since there is no firewire output. I dont use it for my dvr's, have absolutely no reason to capture video from my dvr's, but I do have a Black Magic Intensity Pro capture card with HDMI ports that I use to capture replays from my XBOX and PS3, they are fantastic devices...it may also work for this, but HDCP may get in the way.

· Legend
369 Posts
I output the HR20 to firewire like this: s-video and RCA audio to a Canopus ADVC300), then from the ADVC300 firewire to MacBook Pro. No special software or drivers needed, just plug into a FW port and iMovie sees the ADVC300 and lets you import directly to a file. svideo is much better than composite. HDMI most often requires HDCP which is why there are very few direct HDMI to firewire devices. Analog connections are scheduled to phase out in the future or forced to limited resolutions output.

There is a cheaper ADVC55 and ADVC110, and the ADVC-HD50 is expensive but does HDMI->firewire but no HDCP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.