DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the 622 be firmware updated to support a 2ed HDTV through a RF channel or is it a hardware limit? It seems that many if not most who use for a 2 TV would also have a HDTV. I know my mom went out and bought one for her bedroom not understanding that the 2 TV output is only SD.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
I doubt it, but couldn't tell you 100% for sure. I would think that it would require new hardware capable of outputting a digital signal, vs the analog one it does today. It would have to be something ATSC compatible to work on the majority of the HDTVs out there.

·
Godfather
252 Posts
You could build a DVR with an ATSC-modulated output, but the programming providers would scream bloody murder. Why? Because you could then tune that ATSC signal with another recording device (read: HTPC) and, presumably, distribute those files over the internet.

There will come a time (sometime after the final digital transition date of Feb, 2009), when ATSC modulators will be sold for home distribution systems, similar to the NTSC modulators sold today. Whether or not they will modulate HDTV remains to be seen. Certainly some form of copy protection will have to be incorporated, at a minimum.

Brad

·
Legend
127 Posts
Yet another example of how DRM ruins everything.

I know. I know. I know that the content companies supposedly wouldn't send their signal in HD if they couldn't be sure that it wouldn't be uncopyable.

However that argument doesn't hold water for me. They sent their signal copyable for years, and it didn't stop them. They still want their advertising dollars.

In my mind the only DRM that would be worthwhile is one that was seemless and invisible to the end user, and still allows them their fair use rights. Since no DRM has gotten this right yet, I am anti all DRM.

Remember.... The only reason the above won't work is because of the content providers protecting their content. They try and sell it as something that benefits the customer, but it doesn't in any way, in fact it hinders the customer using the content in a way that makes sense to them.

Sorry for the mini rant :)

·
AllStar
59 Posts
The 622 has two HD outputs. Component and HDMI. I am using both to run two HD TVS. Of course you need to consider how far away they are from each other. My HDMI is to the 2nd TV and it is 50ft. Both TV would are tuned to the same channel so they would need to watch the same thing, which in my case works just fine but may not work if you want separate viewing capability.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
William said:
Can the 622 be firmware updated to support a 2ed HDTV through a RF channel or is it a hardware limit? It seems that many if not most who use for a 2 TV would also have a HDTV. I know my mom went out and bought one for her bedroom not understanding that the 2 TV output is only SD.
No. They chipsets used only include on HDTV decoding path.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
Bradtothebone said:
You could build a DVR with an ATSC-modulated output, but the programming providers would scream bloody murder. Why? Because you could then tune that ATSC signal with another recording device (read: HTPC) and, presumably, distribute those files over the internet.

Brad
Do you remember the 5000 HDTV adapter? Thats exactly what it did. And I had mine hooked to DVHS recorder. Of course your right, the program providers wanted it to go away.

·
Godfather
252 Posts
tnsprin said:
Do you remember the 5000 HDTV adapter? Thats exactly what it did. And I had mine hooked to DVHS recorder. Of course your right, the program providers wanted it to go away.
Yeah, I sure wish I could get ahold of the new "5424" DVR they're working on. (4 tuners - 2 OTA and 2 Satellite, two HD outputs - one ATSC modulated, and MPEG4) :p

Seriously, though, the idea of the 5000 was way ahead of it's time. It assumed that any TV you would be watching it on would have an ATSC tuner, which is only now becoming the norm. As I recall, the output to the ATSC modulator was unprotected SDI :eek2: , but I could easily be wrong, since I never owned one.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.