DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Godfather
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if it has been noticed or posted here but here is NFL.com's Schedule and the first four weeks are 100% HD with D* HD Channel listings

http://www.nfl.com/schedules?seasonType=REG#Week

With CBS being 100% HD the first four weeks, what's to make us think they will suddenly start dropping some games to SD after that point?
To me this says it will be the first 100% HD NFL Season!:)

· DBSTalk Club Member
155 Posts
vertigo235 said:
expecially once bye weeks kick in, there should be no need for SD coverage
It sounds like the only kink could be if CBS has too many 1pm games go long,
the 4pm game may start in 16x9 SD Letterbox and then switch to HD once the control room handling the 1pm game is free to begin handling the 4pm game.

This shouldn't happen too often as most of the 4pm games are 4:15pm.

Plus, they probably would have the option of ending the 1pm game in 16x9 SD so the 4pm game can start off in HD.

They'll have two more control rooms in full HD for next year and all these problems will go away.

It's certainly a huge improvement over last year.

· Godfather
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet either, but I just noticed it
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/globa...0006&page=Packages/NFLSundayTicket/2008_9.htm

This is D* NFL ST Schedule for all of 2008 and every game, except for 2 in week 17, have an HD channel listing next to it. I don't recall D* ever listing channel numbers for games (SD or HD) more than a week or two in advance. I hope it's not just D* listing the SD numbers and putting what WOULD be an HD -1 next to all of them for just the possibility of HD.

· Hall Of Fame
8,761 Posts
hbkbiggestfan said:
Im not sure if it has been noticed or posted here but here is NFL.com's Schedule and the first four weeks are 100% HD with D* HD Channel listings

http://www.nfl.com/schedules?seasonType=REG#Week

With CBS being 100% HD the first four weeks, what's to make us think they will suddenly start dropping some games to SD after that point?
To me this says it will be the first 100% HD NFL Season!:)
I think someone forgot to put the dashes in those HD channel numbers.

· Hall Of Fame
1,212 Posts
not only that, but dont forget, the big ten network listed two games on a D HD channel this week. but they were widescreen SD on those channels. just because the nfl lists a D HD channel. doesnt mean it wont be 720p or 1080i 4:3 SD. the last two years the browns were being broadcast in SD for some games but were still in HD format.

and hopefully this also means that next year this superfan requirement for HD will finally be DONE.

· Hall Of Fame
4,743 Posts
CBS to produce all NFL games in HD, but will you see them that way?

We'd never doubt our old friend Ken H at AVSForum and his magic 8-ball, so it's no surprise that when Sports Video Group interviewed the VP of engineering at CBS, he confirmed all of the network's NFL games this season will be produced in 1080i. Unfortunately, due to a lack of network capacity, it's possible that the late game of a double header could start out distributed in SD, before switching to a high definition feed later, and halftime highlights will be SD-only. Both of those situations will be resolved by the '09 season when CBS' NFL contract requires it go all-HD, all the time - as the last NFL-free weekend comes to a close, news that the suffering will soon end eases the pain...a little.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/0...nfl-games-in-hd-but-will-you-see-them-that-w/

ok then technically to me if 100% of the game isnt HD then its not HD.

· Godfather
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dcowboy7 said:

We'd never doubt our old friend Ken H at AVSForum and his magic 8-ball, so it's no surprise that when Sports Video Group interviewed the VP of engineering at CBS, he confirmed all of the network's NFL games this season will be produced in 1080i. Unfortunately, due to a lack of network capacity, it's possible that the late game of a double header could start out distributed in SD, before switching to a high definition feed later, and halftime highlights will be SD-only. Both of those situations will be resolved by the '09 season when CBS' NFL contract requires it go all-HD, all the time - as the last NFL-free weekend comes to a close, news that the suffering will soon end eases the pain...a little.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/0...nfl-games-in-hd-but-will-you-see-them-that-w/

Technically yes. But to me if most the game (especially the 2nd half) is HD then Im still a very happy camper! (Unless it's my Chiefs). Hopefully at the very least every game will have HD coverage at some point during the game.

· Legend
173 Posts
hbkbiggestfan said:
Technically yes. But to me if most the game (especially the 2nd half) is HD then Im still a very happy camper! (Unless it's my Chiefs). Hopefully at the very least every game will have HD coverage at some point during the game.
Another Chiefs fan here. This year it may actually be better if the Chiefs were not in HD...I don't think they will be a pretty sight to watch!

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
hbkbiggestfan said:
Thats the goal with all Chiefs games is SD. You heard the latest news right? If case of a tornado weather advisory in the KC area everyone is supposed to flee to the Chiefs stadium since there is deffinately no chance of a touchdown there!!!

· Hall Of Fame
4,743 Posts
joshjr said:
Thats the goal with all Chiefs games is SD. You heard the latest news right? If case of a tornado weather advisory in the KC area everyone is supposed to flee to the Chiefs stadium since there is deffinately no chance of a touchdown there!!!
thats a good 1. :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
4,743 Posts
dcowboy7 said:

UPDATE:

ken from avs forums added this:

Here's the deal: Based on what is now known, there will only be 2 weeks (maybe 3 depending on an NBC flex week) where the possibility exists that the beginning of a game, until all the 1pm games are over, would be SD. CBS believes the most likely scenario is that all games will be in HD, from the beginning.

This should not affect DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket HD viewers.

In the unlikely event a game does have to start in SD, it would only be in SD for viewers in some markets

· AllStar
85 Posts
I wish the Packers won't get so many local games. I can only see HD when the game isn't local. I sure wish I could get local HD from DirecTV

I still laugh when I remember the CSR telling me that they will have local HD in my area within 4 months (that was 14 months ago).

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
TimGoodwin said:
Sunday afternoon games only on the Ticket.
Thats not true. The monday night games are on ESPN and they have a seperate channel for HD.

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
Okay I was just looking at the guide for week one and there are 4 early games from CBS that are not showing on the -1 channels. Any reason why? They cant all be showing on my local affiliate. The specific games were Jets vs Fins, Chiefs vs Pats (is showing locally), Texans vs Steelers, & Jags vs Titans.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.