DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was recording UFC and ANTM from 8 – 9pm. I tried to watch ANTM while it was still recording, but the screen was black. I had like 45 min already recorded, but could not fast forward through the recording. When I went to live tv it didn’t let me switch the channel to ANTM. It fixed itself after a reset, but I did lose a recording.
That was a first ‘technical’ reboot since I’ve gotten the box two months ago. Is this a sign the box isn’t good, and should I be calling Directv for a replacement or that is ‘normal’?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
Your first in 2 months?!?! I think you got the only good box! Don't call DirecTV! Keep that box safe! Someday, archaeologists may want to study it!
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
545 Posts
g0go15 said:
Last night I was recording UFC and ANTM from 8 - 9pm. I tried to watch ANTM while it was still recording, but the screen was black. I had like 45 min already recorded, but could not fast forward through the recording. When I went to live tv it didn't let me switch the channel to ANTM. It fixed itself after a reset, but I did lose a recording.
That was a first 'technical' reboot since I've gotten the box two months ago. Is this a sign the box isn't good, and should I be calling Directv for a replacement or that is 'normal'?
Yes, call D* right away!!:rolleyes:

Something is wrong with your HR20! 1 reset in 2 months is out of the norm! :rolleyes:

Anything less than 1 reset a week is out of the ordinary :D :lol: :D
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
Anything less than 1 reset a week is out of the ordinary
I wouldn't go quite that far. In almost 5 weeks before 0xFA we had one lockup. Since OxFA, however, we had 10 unwatchable recordings back-to-back that required a reset plus two more lockups over the last three weeks.

Hopefully 0x108 will help with that (thanks Santa Earl).
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
39 Posts
Here is my delima....

I have only had the HR20 for a week and a half now and up until yesterday it was working good.

Last night we were not able to watch Medium, which we recorded and as Big Brother was recording, I went and tried to play it from the beginning so I could ff through the commercials and it went black screen and locked up. Had to hit the reset, which then lost my recording of the second half of the Big Brother.

I am so new to this receiver and this site, I am just curious what I should do, if anything.

Do I call Direct TV and ask for assistance?

Thanks

HDfreddy
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
545 Posts
LameLefty said:
I wouldn't go quite that far. In almost 5 weeks before 0xFA we had one lockup. Since OxFA, however, we had 10 unwatchable recordings back-to-back that required a reset plus two more lockups over the last three weeks.

Hopefully 0x108 will help with that (thanks Santa Earl).
It was SARCASIM :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
HDfreddy said:
Here is my delima....

I have only had the HR20 for a week and a half now and up until yesterday it was working good.

Last night we were not able to watch Medium, which we recorded and as Big Brother was recording, I went and tried to play it from the beginning so I could ff through the commercials and it went black screen and locked up. Had to hit the reset, which then lost my recording of the second half of the Big Brother.

I am so new to this receiver and this site, I am just curious what I should do, if anything.

Do I call Direct TV and ask for assistance?

Thanks

HDfreddy
There is no need to call DirecTV, I have the CSR script here:

CSR: Good evening sir/madam. How can I help you?

You: Yes, well, last night we were not able to watch Medium, which we recorded and as Big Brother was recording, I went and tried to play it from the beginning so I could ff through the commercials and it went black screen and locked up. Had to hit the reset, which then lost my recording of the second half of the Big Brother.

CSR: OK, let's try this, open the door on the front of the unit on the right side. OK, now do you see the red button? OK, good, now press the red button.

You: But I just said, I already did that.

CSR: OK, I'm sorry sir, so you are saying that you hit the red button and nothing happened?

You: No, I am saying that I hit the red button, and the system reset, and my shows are gone.

CSR: Well, I am sorry to hear that sir. We have never had such a circumstance before. Please be patient with me, can I put you on hold?

You: OK

CSR: Hold music...hold music...hold music...

CSR: Hello, are you there?

You: Yes

CSR: OK, sir, what we need to do is try another reset. Please press the red button now.

You: OK

(Wait 20 minutes for re-boot)

You: OK, its back

CSR: OK, now press List. Do you see recordings there?

You: Yes

CSR: OK, that is very good. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

You: What? You sisn't help me with anything yet.

CSR: Oh, I'm very sorry sir. What is still wrong?

You: I have several shows that were unwatchable, and now they are gone from the list.

CSR: OK, sir, I am sorry. I have never heard of this problem before. Please let me transfer you to a Tier 2 customer support representative.

You: But...

Hold music...hold music...hold music...hold music...

Music stops. You wait for another 20 minutes, then DIAL TONE.

There, see, I just saved you about 90 minutes of your life.:)
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys – is it really necessary to be sarcastic? I get it… It is ‘normal’ to reset… I also know that I will learn more by reading this board and by asking stupid questions here then by calling directv, spending hours on hold, and being told to reset the box… it’s just annoying when a new user gets ridiculed for asking. Thanks, go
 

·
You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,722 Posts
go,
I would advise you to see if you can repeat the problem then report back. Pick a couple shows you don't care about losing, and leave time for a reset as well so yo don't miss what you actually want to watch. Make notations of exactly what you're doing as well.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's going on, as there have been lots of different types of problems. You can try doing a search here for "unwatchable bug" as well and see if you can find anything that relates to you. Good luck.

g0go15 said:
Last night I was recording UFC and ANTM from 8 - 9pm. I tried to watch ANTM while it was still recording, but the screen was black. I had like 45 min already recorded, but could not fast forward through the recording. When I went to live tv it didn't let me switch the channel to ANTM. It fixed itself after a reset, but I did lose a recording.
That was a first 'technical' reboot since I've gotten the box two months ago. Is this a sign the box isn't good, and should I be calling Directv for a replacement or that is 'normal'?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
545 Posts
g0go15 said:
You guys - is it really necessary to be sarcastic? I get it… It is 'normal' to reset… I also know that I will learn more by reading this board and by asking stupid questions here then by calling directv, spending hours on hold, and being told to reset the box… it's just annoying when a new user gets ridiculed for asking. Thanks, go
My intent was not to ridicule you, for that I apologize! I was just trying to be funny (guess that failed) :lol:

It shouldn't be "normal" to do resets. But from time to time it happens, when people have to do it once or twice a day that's a serious issue and a lot of people here have that issue! So when someone posts that they've had to reset once in 2 months we tend not to take it as seriously as the others!

Agian. I am sorry for the "sarcasism".
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
965 Posts
iceman2a said:
My intent was not to ridicule you, for that I apologize! I was just trying to be funny (guess that failed) :lol:

It shouldn't be "normal" to do resets. But from time to time it happens, when people have to do it once or twice a day that's a serious issue and a lot of people here have that issue! So when someone posts that they've had to reset once in 2 months we tend not to take it as seriously as the others!

Agian. I am sorry for the "sarcasism".
I thought it was funny!:lol:

I've done similar posts on other message boards on other topics, and you will always get some folks who take offense, and some who will think it is hilarious. That's just the way the world works.:bang
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
191 Posts
LameLefty said:
I wouldn't go quite that far. In almost 5 weeks before 0xFA we had one lockup. Since OxFA, however, we had 10 unwatchable recordings back-to-back that required a reset plus two more lockups over the last three weeks.

Hopefully 0x108 will help with that (thanks Santa Earl).
Are you using HDMI? My problems started with 0x104. After 4 days of problems requiring reset each day, I remebered a post somewhere that HDMI can cause problems during HR20 startup. I disconnected the HDMI cable, swithed to component and did a RBR (Red Button Reset). Since then I have not needed to do a reset (I know I just jinxed myself). However, the first night after the Reset with HDMI disconnected, I coincidentally got the 0x108 upgrade, so I can not be sure whether the "fix" was due to RBR with HDMI disconnected or the 0x108 update. Anyway, if you use HDMI, you may want to try disconnecting the HDMI cable and doing a RBR.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
798 Posts
Had my first lock up today. New unit was installed with ver. OXFA.
Updated via "Santa" to O108. While channel surfing in the menu for
all channels, box stopped responding to commands....would not even
shut off via remote(remote is just fine) Picture and sound continued in small window, but box refused to obey any commands. Took a Red button reset
to make it work again.:mad:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top