DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am in my first week of Directv... I called in for the third time in this week due to loss signal. The first two times I had to reboot everything. This time- we had a mild snowfall. There looks to be about 4 inches of snow on the receiver. I called in and was told I had to go up and wipe off my dish or WAIT FOR IT TO MELT. Are you kidding me??? Cable is expensive because it has no local competition.... so i went this route.... Nice.. I asked if i could cancel my service. Sure... for $480.... Wow... if you are reading this- do not get sat TV. Buyer beware...Has anyone tried the heat sources? I see some on Amazon...

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
wendyfig said:
So, I am in my first week of Directv... I called in for the third time in this week due to loss signal. The first two times I had to reboot everything. This time- we had a mild snowfall. There looks to be about 4 inches of snow on the receiver. I called in and was told I had to go up and wipe off my dish or WAIT FOR IT TO MELT. Are you kidding me??? Cable is expensive because it has no local competition.... so i went this route.... Nice.. I asked if i could cancel my service. Sure... for $480.... Wow... if you are reading this- do not get sat TV. Buyer beware...Has anyone tried the heat sources? I see some on Amazon...
There are dish heaters that go on the dish. You just plug it in when it is snowing and the snow will just run right off.
This is based on many posts about this subject. Since I live almost in the Gulf of Mexico I just get hard rains and no snow.

Here is a video showing how to install one.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
On the other side, if lines aren't buried, cable can be out for weeks after a snowstorm. The heaters do work well for customers. I've also heard of good results with a super soaker.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
wendyfig said:
Rain fade occurs when water saturated clouds are in the los of your dish. Snow fade occurs when water saturated clouds are in the los of your dish or when wet, slushy snow accumulates on your dish. You live in Wisconsin. I fail to see why you didn't expect this and prepare for it.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
wendyfig said:
Welcome to the site :)

Things you can try -Depending on where your Dish is located (roof) I story? Pole mount in yard?

1. Get the stored Garden Hose out of the shed - Hook it up and spry water on the dish -Use a ladder if needed climb high enough for the spray to reach (DO NOT GO ONTO THE ROOF) DUH!
2. Take a Broom and Brush Lightly -You can bend the reflextor if you use too much force.
3.(WAIT) The sun will heat the dish and the snow will melt and slide off.

You can do any of these things after you have no TV to watch so you have time :)

The Cancel Fee is $20 per month per each month to your contract end - That's why it can cost can be that price

Let us know when your service is restored

·
Registered
462 Posts
wendyfig said:
Where do you live ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
wendyfig said:
Don't keep your "RECEIVER" out in the SNOW.
Do you keep your Computer out in the Snow ?

·
Icon
1,289 Posts
ragweed10 said:
He's obviously new to this and didn't research things much before jumping in. It can take a while to get the terminology down. I expect his "receiver" is what receives the radiation from the satellite, i.e., the "dish". Also, he may need to be told that "los" mentioned in an earlier post means "line of sight" -- the direct line between the satellite and the dish.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
This just in::::From Wisconsin.

8 inches of wet heavy snow with ice and sleet mixed in to make sure it was a back breaker clearing the driveway.

It was too good to last -- 3 days ago it was clear and the grass was showing and green in my yard...now just white .

·
Registered
74 Posts
wendyfig said:
My first week with D* we had massive rain and yes, I lost my signal. But I also did quite a bit of research before signed up so I knew that I might lose it in heavy rain. Did it makes me rage so much that I had to 'warn' everyone on a message board? Nope.

·
Super Moderator
12,878 Posts
ragweed10 said:
Let's be gentle, new poster, new subscriber to direct broadcast satellite.

To Wendyfig: There are options/solutions, and this is a good place to learn about them. As others have already posted, heavy wet snow, even a very small accumulation on your dish, can block the satellite signals. So can very dense (water laden) clouds or storm fronts in the line of sight between your dish and the satellite. It is not common to have outages due to rain or storm fronts, but it does happen. When it does, it typically does not last very long. Outages due to snow or ice on your dish can last for some time, so that is when you need to take some action to eliminate or mitigate that risk.

Removal of the snow/ice from your dish is what needs to happen, and there are many ways to accomplish that. Some good suggestions above are to shoot/spray warm water on the dish to remove accumulated snow or ice. Sweeping the dish with a broom, if you can reach it, works. Based on your location, a dish heater as noted in post 2 is recommended. You can set the dish heater up to be automatic (like on a thermostat), or manual where you just plug it in, or turn it on, when needed.

Once you overcome this initial problem, I think (and certainly hope) you will enjoy DirecTV.

·
Mentor
122 Posts
I understand your frustration. I hope you don't pay any attention to some on here as this is a problem that is not advertised and Direct or Dish doesn't tell you about. We all had to learn in the beginning and for some that has been long enough ago that they assume it's common knowledge. I assume you have the dish mounted on the roof? I ask because mine is not and I usually take a watering can full off hot water and pour it over the dish. If yours is not reachable then some of the other methods others have described may be in order. If you can reach it with a broom or such be careful you don't disturb the dish too much or you could knock it out of alignment. As far as rain fade it seems to be worse in some locations than others. Mine goes out when we get moderate to heavy rain. Usually only lasts 1-5 minutes but can go much longer.

·
AllStar
403 Posts
One more subscriber that will recommend a dish heater. They are fantastic and totally worth the money. I used to have to climb a ladder during/after snowstorms in order to watch TV, now I just flip a switch when I know it is going to snow and stay nice and warm inside by the TV.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
WestDC said:
Welcome to the site :)

Things you can try -Depending on where your Dish is located (roof) I story? Pole mount in yard?

1. Get the stored Garden Hose out of the shed - Hook it up and spry water on the dish -Use a ladder if needed climb high enough for the spray to reach (DO NOT GO ONTO THE ROOF) DUH!
2. Take a Broom and Brush Lightly -You can bend the reflextor if you use too much force.
3.(WAIT) The sun will heat the dish and the snow will melt and slide off.

You can do any of these things after you have no TV to watch so you have time :)

The Cancel Fee is $20 per month per each month to your contract end - That's why it can cost can be that price

Let us know when your service is restored
I want to add #4. Get a cheap super-soaker pump up squirt gun. The last time i did the old hose trick in the snow it was a bit of a pain. I haven't had to use my super-soaker since i bought it two years ago. (But it is at the ready). I also live in Virginia and probably get less snow that the OP.

·
Godfather
983 Posts
I live in Maine so I understand snow issues. In my experience with cable and DirecTv - I think my cable was out more than DirecTV was over time. Snow, storm clouds do cause issues.
I'd worry more about why you had signal loss twice before the snow. There is something going on that would cause that. Other than having to reboot to get internet back when using WiFi for on demand, I don't remember rebooting boxes and certainly not for signal loss. People here could probably help diagnose those issues. As you have already found this community is ready willing and able to help with all sorts of issues.

·
Icon
934 Posts
I live in New Hampshire, and we also get snow. It has not been much of an issue for me - I can go years between snow-caused outages and then I just reach out a window with a broom to brush the dish and LNB (that thing on the arm). If your dish is less accessible, then a heater would probably be a good investment.

When I had cable it would go out frequently, sometimes for days. I've had satellite for more than 10 years now and never had such issues with it.

·
Legend
302 Posts
I'm in Madison and the storm yesterday and last night was unusual for us. Very heavy wet snow, ice, sleet, you name it.
I've been a Directv subscriber in Wisconsin for almost ten years and had service issues due to the weather maybe ten times total, with only one or two instances because of snow accumulating on the dish.
I bought a Super Soaker a few years ago after the last issue, but still remains in the original box since it hasn't needed to be used (including yesterday). Wendy if you are in or near Madison I'll let you borrow it!

But Wendy hasn't logged on since her original post, so I'm guessing today's wind cleared the dish and her service is restored.

·
Godfather
1,175 Posts
Dupont snow and ice repellent works for awhile but needs sprayed on between storms. Best solution is pole mount off roof where its easily cleaned off if possible. I've had over 3 feet of snow but its cold here so doesn't stick well and zero outages. Summer thunderstorms are where I have issues., nothing you can do about those but wait. I'm not high on the heater, electricity and water outside has potential for trouble.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.