DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my home D* network at home, but I am confused.:rolleyes: My current dish is a old Round 18” LNB Dish.

The following issues are important to me.
1) I want to eceive local channels in HD (although not avaliable in HD yet),
2) I want to install 5 receivers and possible 7 receivers in future. I want to plan ahead.
3) I would like to only have 1 dish mounted on my roof. I really don't like my home to look like NASA and that I'm trying to communicate with ET on Mars.
4) Receive HD picture.

After calling D* to see what they could offer me as an upgrade, the CSR recommended that I upgrade to the following.
1- Round Dish 18” Dual LNB Dish (Local)
1- 18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-SatelliteDish Antenna
1 - 5x4 Multiswitch

I tried to explain to him that I really wanted the Five LNB dish, but the CSR said I did not reaaly need the Five LNB. When asked why installing the Three was better, I could never get a clear answer. I felt like that the CSR was pushing me towards installing the Three LNB and the Round Dish only for the reason that D* wants to get rid of this unit before offering the Five LNB. Any advise? Thanks!!! :)

·
Icon
545 Posts
daytoday said:
I want to upgrade my home D* network at home, but I am confused.:rolleyes: My current dish is a old Round 18" LNB Dish.

The following issues are important to me.
1) I want to eceive local channels in HD (although not avaliable in HD yet),
2) I want to install 5 receivers and possible 7 receivers in future. I want to plan ahead.
3) I would like to only have 1 dish mounted on my roof. I really don't like my home to look like NASA and that I'm trying to communicate with ET on Mars.
4) Receive HD picture.

After calling D* to see what they could offer me as an upgrade, the CSR recommended that I upgrade to the following.
1- Round Dish 18" Dual LNB Dish (Local)
1- 18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-SatelliteDish Antenna
1 - 5x4 Multiswitch

I tried to explain to him that I really wanted the Five LNB dish, but the CSR said I did not reaaly need the Five LNB. When asked why installing the Three was better, I could never get a clear answer. I felt like that the CSR was pushing me towards installing the Three LNB and the Round Dish only for the reason that D* wants to get rid of this unit before offering the Five LNB. Any advise? Thanks!!! :)
If you want HD locals when they are avlbl, you need the 5 LNB dish! (AT9 or Slimline) If D* will not install one for you, I would purchase one on your own!

You didn't say how many rcvrs you have now, but if you are upgrading to a H20 or HR20, place the order and tell the CSR you have the dish, you just need a WB68 multi-switch and have the installer install your AT9 when he comes to install!

·
Godfather
289 Posts
I'd stick with installing the AT-9. This will ensure you're completely ready when D* "turns on" your local digitals. This will meet your "one dish" requirement.

A Zinwell WB68 will meet your desire to connect 5 receivers now and will support up to 8 total out of the box.

D* may be trying to move their remaining inventory of 3-LNB dishes.

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick response!

I currently only have 1 receiver. I hardly ever used D* at home, since I also Digit Cable. I was planning on getting rid of Cable and going totally with Satalite.

I will pan on asking D* for the following and if they will not offer it I'll just plan on buying one. It is not worth receiving a free dish from D*, if I'm going to have to upgrade next year.

1 - Five LNB Ka/Ku Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 CompressionHD Programming (AT9) :confused: Question?? Is this the samething as the Slimline???:confused:

1 - Zinwell WB68 (support up to 8 receivers)

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
The AT-9 is the first-generation 5 LNB dish. The Slimline is a newer model (AU-9) which has all of the LNBs in a single assembly. It is about as wide as the AT-9, but not as tall.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
I wonder why they suggested the Phase III and a round 18" dish initially. Do you know what satellite your local stations come on, maybe it is 72.5 in which case you will need the second dish regardless of whether you have the Phase III or AT9.

If that is the case, you will also need a 6 port multiswitch (the WB68 will support this).

At this point in time though, you don't NEED the AT9. If your local stations are not available in HD from DirecTV, the AT9 offers you nothing over the Phase III except it is bigger and uglier. If/when you get locals in HD, OR DirecTV starts converting existing MPEG2 HD feeds over to MPEG4, then you will need the AT9. It's a toss up as to whether you get it now anticipating a future requirement.

Carl

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carl6,

The CST told me that D* is not offering my local stations in HD in my area and the D* site also states the same thing when enter my zip code. My local cable providers does offer Local Channels in HD, so maybe D* will also offer them soon?. I'm not sure what station the local stations come on, so I can't answer if it is 72.5?

Question - If I purchace and install the Slimline (AU-9), will I still be able to receive my local channels or will I still need the additional Round 18" Dual LNB Dish/ Thanks!!!

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bobnielsen said:
You didn't mention which DMA you are in, but here is the list of channels carried on 72.5: http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa72.html.

If your locals are there you would need to keep the round dish for these. The WB68 multiswitch has a port where these are added to the signals from the main dish.
bobnielsen,

Yep, all my local stations are listed on that page for my permanent residence. I actually own 2 homes and have D* installed at both locations.

The CSR mentioned...
1) Permandent Residence - I'll need 2 dish's to receive both local and national broadcasted stations. (My local stations are listed at ttp://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa72.html. Can you verify what the best dish set up would be for this location, taking in consideration of future updates by D*, reception and something that is not a eye sore? I would prefer to have the best avaliable even if it should cost a few dolars extra?

2) Vacation Home - He mentioned that the local stations where avalible here, but I was outside the area to receive them? Not sure how he was going to solve this issue, as we never got that far in the conversation. (I did notice that the local stations at this home are not located on the list. www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa72.html) Can you verify what the best dish set up would be for this location, taking in consideration of future updates by D*, reception and something that is not a eye sore? I would prefer to have the best even if it should cost a few dolars extra?

Thanks for you advice!!!!!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,476 Posts
daytoday said:
Can you verify what the best dish set up would be for this location, taking in consideration of future updates by D*, reception and something that is not a eye sore?
You're going to have to give us at least a Zip code. Presence or absence on the Lyngsat list isn't good enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.