DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread with what resolution people have their HR20 set at and what there TV's native resolution is. I'll start it out so everyone knows what I mean. If you like you can give reasons/explanations why you use said settings for your setup.

Vizio 42" LCD GV42L - Native resolution = 768p

HR20 set to output 720p only.

Native OFF

My reason for these settings is: There is no reason to have the HR20 set to display anything that the TV will then convert to 720p anyways. EG. If i set the HR20 to display everything at 1080i, the HR will take a 720p signal, convert it to 1080i, only to have the TV convert it back to 720p to be displayed on my TV.

There you go. Let's see some setups. Does anyone feel they get better PQ by having the HR20 set to 1080i? I don't see any difference myself.

EDIT: After some extensive testing with 1080i sources material, I have found that letting my TV down convert 1080i signals the picture looked better to my eyes. So I have since set my HR20 to output 720p and 1080i. The 720p channels do follow my initial findings of showing more noise when converted to 1080i and then to 768p by my TV. Just figured I'd update this post with my findings.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Samsung HL-S5688W - Native resolution = 1080p

HR20 set to output only 1080i

Native Off

·
AllStar
82 Posts
In my case I have a Hitachi 55 inch plasma, 720p or 1080i, so should I set it to 720p or 1080i? I also have my Yamaha receiver set to 1080i, which one should I let to the upconverting? I am guessing I am doing it on too many pieces of equipment.
(I just got the HR20, had the HR10, which was always set to 1080i):nono2: :eek2:

PS: I turned native off as it was making the menus look blurry and slowing them down...

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jwren said:
In my case I have a Hitachi 55 inch plasma, 720p or 1080i, so should I set it to 720p or 1080i? I also have my Yamaha receiver set to 1080i, which one should I let to the upconverting? I am guessing I am doing it on too many pieces of equipment.
(I just got the HR20, had the HR10, which was always set to 1080i):nono2: :eek2:

PS: I turned native off as it was making the menus look blurry and slowing them down...
These questions are the point of this thread. :)

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying. Is your plasma native displaying 720p or 1080i? If it is normally 720p then I would set the HR20 to only display 720p. I do know that some of the newer Hitachi plasmas display a native res. of 1080i so I would check on that and then pick one or the other. In my opinion it makes no sense to be converting a feed 2 or more times before displaying it. It can only make it worse at that point.

·
Godfather
310 Posts
Sony 50" SXRD KDS50A2000 1080 P native res

Hr20 set to output 1080i Native off

I Have only had my HR20 for a 36 hours so I haven't had much time to experiment, but this config seem to be the smoothest so far.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Gmaxx said:
These questions are the point of this thread. :)

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying. Is your plasma native displaying 720p or 1080i? If it is normally 720p then I would set the HR20 to only display 720p. I do know that some of the newer Hitachi plasmas display a native res. of 1080i so I would check on that and then pick one or the other. In my opinion it makes no sense to be converting a feed 2 or more times before displaying it. It can only make it worse at that point.
Well it's confusing cause it does both, as I was told by Hitachi, 1080i is the same as 720p, 1080i is interlaced, 720p is the native, so I am thinking to go with 720p. Just not quite sure....Now if it was 1080p that would be a different story... but 1080i is not any different than 720p, so I am thinking it makes no difference to the setting, but that's why I am asking cause I am not sure....

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jwren said:
Well it's confusing cause it does both, as I was told by Hitachi, 1080i is the same as 720p, 1080i is interlaced, 720p is the native, so I am thinking to go with 720p. Just not quite sure....Now if it was 1080p that would be a different story... but 1080i is not any different than 720p, so I am thinking it makes no difference to the setting, but that's why I am asking cause I am not sure....
Well hitachi told you something incorrect. 720p is NOT the same as 1080i at all. They are two completely different resolutions. It is not just the p and i that make them different. My TV will accept 720p and 1080i but in converts the 1080i to 720p before displaying it. This makes my TV's native res. 720p. I suspect that your Hitachi does the same thing. What's the model number of your plasma? I'll check it out online and tell your for sure whether its native resolution is 1080i or 720p.

·
Legend
139 Posts
Gmaxx said:
I just wanted to start a thread with what resolution people have their HR20 set at and what there TV's native resolution is. I'll start it out so everyone knows what I mean. If you like you can give reasons/explanations why you use said settings for your setup.

Vizio 42" LCD GV42L - Native resolution = 720p

HR20 set to output only 720p

Native OFF

My reason for these settings is: There is no reason to have the HR20 set to display anything that the TV will then convert to 720p anyways. EG. If i set the HR20 to display everything at 1080i, the HR will take a 720p signal, convert it to 1080i, only to have the TV convert it back to 720p to be displayed on my TV.

There you go. Let's see some setups. Does anyone feel they get better PQ by having the HR20 set to 1080i? I don't see any difference myself.
Not that it matters, but the native resolution for your TV is 1366x768.

(source)

But your reasons for forcing 720p are still valid: no matter how you stack it, there's some sort of scaling going on. With 720p, less... with 1080i- more.

Branching off into opinion for a minute- you could make an argument for either case: feeding a 720p(ish) display 1080i or a 720p signal.

- Argument #1: "Feed a 720p display 720p": Source material vs. scaler quality

With how hit or miss the quality of HD material is as of late- compression artifacts, reduced horizontal resolution and/or bitrates attrib. to 'HD-Lite' avoiding or reducing needless scaling will keep motion-induced artifacts from showing up on the display. Even if the quality of source material was inconsistent- there could still be problems. A good example of this is the line-twitter I get on my Infocus 7205 (a 720p projector) when a 1080i signal by my HR10-250. At 1080i, on 720p-native channels, I can observe slight combing artifacts as well- no doubt induced by the scaler in the HD-Tivo. At 720p, no scaling=no artifacts.

- Argument #2: Feed a 720p display native resolutions so that you can use the[superior?] TV's deinterlacer instead of the set-top boxes deinterlacer.

This one is a little tougher- more dependent on knowing which out which one is better to begin with: the deinterlacer in the STB or your TV. Alot of Samsung DLP and plasmas I've viewed have Faroudja deinterlacers in them. I've observed some high-displays and standalone outboard scalers that have Silicon Optix HQV chipsets in them. I would not hesitate to feed them a native resolution and depend on the superior processing capabilities of the display, outboard scaler chipset vs. whatever is built into your average consumer-level STB.

BTW: I have two other HD displays that all have native off due to the fact that they are poor at, or unable to scale 720p correctly: an EDTV [482x854]DLP projector and a 1080i (960ix1440 actually, I measured it with an HD signal generator) Rear-projection CRT. With all these 'non-standard' native resolutions, I definitely need an outboard scaler! Just haven't been able to convince the wife yet.

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bpayne said:
Not that it matters, but the native resolution for your TV is 1366x768.

(source)

But your reasons for forcing 720p are still valid: no matter how you stack it, there's some sort of scaling going on. With 720p, less... with 1080i- more........
BTW: I have two other HD displays that all have native off due to the fact that they are poor at, or unable to scale 720p correctly: an EDTV [482x854]DLP projector and a 1080i (960ix1440 actually, I measured it with an HD signal generator) Rear-projection CRT. With all these 'non-standard' native resolutions, I definitely need an outboard scaler! Just haven't been able to convince the wife yet.
I just wanted to say that what you are saying is all completely correct. My set as well as jwren's plasma are both technically 768p.

Now my TV I know to have Faroudja De-interlacer which from what I understand is a very good one. But with my eyes I see no difference between letting the TV or the HR20 do the conversion on my set. So I just leave it on 720p and I'm a happy guy. I just finished watching the Louisville vs Rutgers game and it just looks astounding. I can't even imagine it looking any better. That being said, I was not sure what to do when I first got my TV and had the hr20 installed, so I figured others would have the same question that I did.

jwren, your tv is native 720p (768p technically but 720p by industry standards) so I would recommend leaving the hr20 on 720p. Less conversion means better picture quality. Hope this helps with your grainy pq issue you posted in your other thread.

JP

·
AllStar
82 Posts
thanks that's what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure. I want the absolute best picture I can get and it gets a little confusing when you have other components to adjust... :)

PS: Does anyone know if the mpeg4 could have anything to do with this grainy picture?(like in my other post) Would that happen on SD channels as well? or only high def?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Gmaxx said:
Vizio 42" LCD GV42L - Native resolution = 720p
Are those TV's any good? I know they are cheap but how is the picture quality?

And I am talking Vizio in general, not that particular model.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
HP MD6580N (native resolution 1080p)

HR20 set to 1080i

Native off

There have been a number of conversations on avsforum about whether setting it to 1080i vs 720p actually causes more work (the stb has to deinterlace 720p then upconvert to 1080i which the tv then has to interlace for 1080p) but I have found that this combination produces the crispest picture.

·
Legend
197 Posts
SONY KDS-R50XBR1

Native Res = 1080P

HR20 set to 1080i

Native set to off

I too have to say this is the "Best Looking" combination for me.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Philips-Magnavox 26" SDTV

Native Res: 480i

HR20 set to 480i

Native off.

Using Composite video. :eek2: Pity me.

Ok, ok. I just moved, haven't set up the home theater in the basement yet (HDTV projector), and I haven't bought the new LCD HDTV for the living room to replace that SD POS I'm using now. ;)

·
Legend
197 Posts
:lol:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Pioneer 503CMX Plasma with the Aurora Multimedia card

HR20 #1 - Native Mode Off; Component Connection; fixed at 720p
HR20 #2 - Native Mode Off; HDMI->DVI; fixed at 720p

·
Legend
197 Posts
tjboyd said:
SONY KDS-R50XBR1

Native Res = 1080P

HR20 set to 1080i

Native set to off

I too have to say this is the "Best Looking" combination for me.
Forgot to add connected via HDMI...

·
Legend
105 Posts
Hitachi 43UWX10B - Available formats are 540P and 1080I. Currently set to 1080i.
Aspect choices are Normal, Full, Fill, and Smooth Wide - Currently Smooth Wide

HR20 1080i Stretch Native off.

If anyone has some better setting suggestions, I'll take them.

Connecting using YPbPr

Z

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Samsung HL-R5667W 56" DLP, 720P Native
HR20: Native Off, 720P fixed resolution
HDMI

No problems since day 1.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.