DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Legend
139 Posts
Gmaxx said:
I just wanted to start a thread with what resolution people have their HR20 set at and what there TV's native resolution is. I'll start it out so everyone knows what I mean. If you like you can give reasons/explanations why you use said settings for your setup.

Vizio 42" LCD GV42L - Native resolution = 720p

HR20 set to output only 720p

Native OFF

My reason for these settings is: There is no reason to have the HR20 set to display anything that the TV will then convert to 720p anyways. EG. If i set the HR20 to display everything at 1080i, the HR will take a 720p signal, convert it to 1080i, only to have the TV convert it back to 720p to be displayed on my TV.

There you go. Let's see some setups. Does anyone feel they get better PQ by having the HR20 set to 1080i? I don't see any difference myself.
Not that it matters, but the native resolution for your TV is 1366x768.

(source)

But your reasons for forcing 720p are still valid: no matter how you stack it, there's some sort of scaling going on. With 720p, less... with 1080i- more.

Branching off into opinion for a minute- you could make an argument for either case: feeding a 720p(ish) display 1080i or a 720p signal.

- Argument #1: "Feed a 720p display 720p": Source material vs. scaler quality

With how hit or miss the quality of HD material is as of late- compression artifacts, reduced horizontal resolution and/or bitrates attrib. to 'HD-Lite' avoiding or reducing needless scaling will keep motion-induced artifacts from showing up on the display. Even if the quality of source material was inconsistent- there could still be problems. A good example of this is the line-twitter I get on my Infocus 7205 (a 720p projector) when a 1080i signal by my HR10-250. At 1080i, on 720p-native channels, I can observe slight combing artifacts as well- no doubt induced by the scaler in the HD-Tivo. At 720p, no scaling=no artifacts.

- Argument #2: Feed a 720p display native resolutions so that you can use the[superior?] TV's deinterlacer instead of the set-top boxes deinterlacer.

This one is a little tougher- more dependent on knowing which out which one is better to begin with: the deinterlacer in the STB or your TV. Alot of Samsung DLP and plasmas I've viewed have Faroudja deinterlacers in them. I've observed some high-displays and standalone outboard scalers that have Silicon Optix HQV chipsets in them. I would not hesitate to feed them a native resolution and depend on the superior processing capabilities of the display, outboard scaler chipset vs. whatever is built into your average consumer-level STB.

BTW: I have two other HD displays that all have native off due to the fact that they are poor at, or unable to scale 720p correctly: an EDTV [482x854]DLP projector and a 1080i (960ix1440 actually, I measured it with an HD signal generator) Rear-projection CRT. With all these 'non-standard' native resolutions, I definitely need an outboard scaler! Just haven't been able to convince the wife yet.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.