DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Is there a way to turn these resolutions on and off without going through the guided setup?

If not....

Should I go through the setup again and set it so that my TV only accepts 1080i? Will that set it to 1080i the way you have it here. When the box was first setup the installer chose 480i and 480p which my TV obviously can do but I seem to be under the impression that most of you tell the HR20 that your TV can't see these resolutions on purpose. Is that corect?

tjboyd said:
SONY KDS-R50XBR1

Native Res = 1080P

HR20 set to 1080i

Native set to off

I too have to say this is the "Best Looking" combination for me.

·
Legend
179 Posts
Mitsubishi WD-57732 displays both 720P and 1080P

Native Mode Off; HDMI Connection; fixed at 1080i

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Sony KDF-50WE655

Native - 720P

HR20 native set to on because I haven't changed it yet.

The reason I haven't changed it yet is because I am confused. If I set the HR20 to native off and fixed at 720P, does that stretch 4:3 or does that have nothing to do with it? I want all feeds to display as intended. I despise stretched 4:3 displays.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
One more thing. My HDTV says it can display 1080i. What does that mean if the native is 720p? Does that mean it just takes a 1080i and scales it to 720p? (Display is technically 1386x788).

I'm soooo confused.....

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Mike Huss said:
One more thing. My HDTV says it can display 1080i. What does that mean if the native is 720p? Does that mean it just takes a 1080i and scales it to 720p? (Display is technically 1386x788).

I'm soooo confused.....
That is correct. Your TV will take a 1080i signal and deinterlace and scale it down to 720p. Your choice is then whether to leave your HR20 set at Native (and allow for the extra time to switch resolutions as it changes from source to source - 480i for standard def stuff, 720p for Fox, ABC, EPSN, and 1080i for CBS for instance) or to tell the HR20 to do the scaling by turning Native off and selecting an optimum output resolution.

In my case, my TV is 1080p and can accept and scale all the standard input resolutions - 480i SD TV, 480p from a progressive-scan DVD, 720p, 1080i . . . however I haven't really seen much difference between the TV's scaler and that of the HR20 on D* content, so I just leave Native off, set the HR20 to output everything at 1080i and let my TV deinterlace the signal for display. It generally looks great.

·
Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Blitz68 said:
Are those TV's any good? I know they are cheap but how is the picture quality?

And I am talking Vizio in general, not that particular model.
Blitz 68, I can only speak for this model as I have only used this one. I will tell you that the picture quality is superb. I cannot state it any better than that. Can you get better PQ on and LCD for this price? Nope. The picture in my opinion, is right on par with the Samsungs and Sonys that cost many hundreds more. SD PQ is great too. Far better than even my father's Panny plasma that cost $1000 more than I paid. You cannot find a better value for this kind of PQ in an LCD right now. If you look online at some professional reviews even they are astounded by the picture quality of the set I have. Now thats saying something.

·
Banned
90 Posts
I find using Native works best with my "HD Ready" standard size screens for some reason, don't know why. Can't tell a difference in my Mitsu 1080i DLP, just have it set to 1080i, i've played with it and evenon the SD channels that don;t broadcast in that res., I feel I have a sharper pic when everything is set to 1080, but such is not the case on my older Sony old SD size screen that is HD ready and I get the bars on the HD channels, I was always having to change the resolution to get the best picture so I just use native mode for that one, when the box works, which today after the LNBs were changed it does, we'll see how long it lasts.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
55" Sony XBR grand wega 3xlcd
Native resolution of the tv: 720p
HR20 set to 720p
Native: off
Hookup: Component (only because I spent a grand on component cables when I redid my home theater and I let the reciever do the switching)

I found when I turned Native on, even if I deselected everything but 720p, It would force the output in1080i.

Why the frack is it doing that?

Oh yeah, and Im almost at wits end with this damn reciever too. Kinda wish I didnt sell my tivo based 250 last week.

Oh yeah.. Awesome Forum folks.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
While Gmaxx has had great luck with his lcd, stay as far away as you possibly can from Vizio DLP's. I had the color wheel go on a 56" dlp from them, $3k for a new one installed. I went through 3 different companies trying to get someone to fix it. Nobody would touch it. I have read so many bad things about the color wheels on those. Also, If you get one of the NON phillips bulb based ones, be prepared to shell out $400 for a bulb that will last you 2000 hours if your lucky. (they are supposedly rated at 3600 hours I believe)

FYI: Vizio made the Gateway dlp's as well.. do a little search on how many of those are still around..
EDIT: Vizio does'nt even list their dlp's anymore on their web site.. lol.

Glad to hear the LCD is good though. Their Bravo D1 dvd player rocked for it's time. (if you got a good one.. lol)

Gmaxx said:
Blitz 68, I can only speak for this model as I have only used this one. I will tell you that the picture quality is superb. I cannot state it any better than that. Can you get better PQ on and LCD for this price? Nope. The picture in my opinion, is right on par with the Samsungs and Sonys that cost many hundreds more. SD PQ is great too. Far better than even my father's Panny plasma that cost $1000 more than I paid. You cannot find a better value for this kind of PQ in an LCD right now. If you look online at some professional reviews even they are astounded by the picture quality of the set I have. Now thats saying something.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Philips 37" LCD, native res 1366x788. Hooked up through HDMI
Set to 1080i Pillar Box.

Philips TVs use their own algorithms to downsample 1080i to native resolution. To me it looks better than 720p. I haven't seen any "jitter" that would indicate an interlaced picture so I'm pretty sure it deinterlaces the signal as well.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
I have a toshiba 50hm66 and haven't noticed any difference on HD with native on or off. However, on 480i material with native on, the picture is definately sharper. Since I do sometimes watch SD I'm torn between wanting the better picture and waiting for the extra long channel changes.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,876 Posts
Set details in signature. HDMI, native on, 720p/1080i selected. Hasan and Earl, do you feel the HR20 does a better job of de-interlacing 1080i than your set or is it for faster channels changing?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,664 Posts
MarkJones said:
Hi Steve-

Have you had any luck getting the HR20 remote to control the HP DLP microdisplay? I have that same TV and have not found a remote code that works.
No I haven't tried doing it and probably won't as my wife would never figure out how to use it. LOL I don't mond using seperate remotes so like I said I will not try doing it.

How do you like the tv? I have had mine for a year now and love it best PQ I have seen on any tv.

·
Godfather
450 Posts
In my opinion, if the set's native resolution never matches one of the HR20s output resolutions, as is the case with my plasma and the original poster's Vizio (which are bot 768p sets), then it only makes sense to use Native On. With Native Off, you are double scaling the signal most of the time, except when the channel's rez matches the output rez chosen. In all other cases, its scaling twice, which seems can only have negative effects.

If you have a native 720p or 1080i/p set, then I can understand using Native Off.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Lets see if I am understanding this correctly.
I have a Sony 1080P
Native set ot ON, which I assume means that the Sony is doing all the conversions. Pic looks fine to me, seems alittle sharper then when native was set to OFF
When the HR20 was installed, the installer set Native to OFF, and selected all 4 outputs in the setup. The blue light was always on 1080I, so my understanding was that the HR20 converted to 1080I, and then the Sony converted to 1080P.
Still confused but never the less, enjoying the new Sony, and HD

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Steve Robertson said:
How do you like the tv? I have had mine for a year now and love it best PQ I have seen on any tv.
I love it, Steve. Best PQ I've seen also. By the way, I have the HR20 set on 'native.' I don't do much channel surfing, so this works for me.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.