DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
tawnee said:
Lets see if I am understanding this correctly.
I have a Sony 1080P
Native set ot ON, which I assume means that the Sony is doing all the conversions. Pic looks fine to me, seems alittle sharper then when native was set to OFF
When the HR20 was installed, the installer set Native to OFF, and selected all 4 outputs in the setup. The blue light was always on 1080I, so my understanding was that the HR20 converted to 1080I, and then the Sony converted to 1080P.
Still confused but never the less, enjoying the new Sony, and HD
I know when i have native on it sometimes switches and other times it don't I also notice it will sit on the 1080i setting even if I go to a 720p station or standard def
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
450 Posts
tawnee said:
Lets see if I am understanding this correctly.
I have a Sony 1080P
Native set ot ON, which I assume means that the Sony is doing all the conversions. Pic looks fine to me, seems alittle sharper then when native was set to OFF
When the HR20 was installed, the installer set Native to OFF, and selected all 4 outputs in the setup. The blue light was always on 1080I, so my understanding was that the HR20 converted to 1080I, and then the Sony converted to 1080P.
Still confused but never the less, enjoying the new Sony, and HD
You are not confused at all. Everything you wrote is correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,514 Posts
My HR20 is connected to my LG plasma via HDMI, and we didn't see any output and so all resolutions are now enabled. My TV doesn't support 480i, so I need to turn disable that resolution. Is the only way to get to Guided Setup to do a "Reset Everything"?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,876 Posts
drew2k said:
My HR20 is connected to my LG plasma via HDMI, and we didn't see any output and so all resolutions are now enabled. My TV doesn't support 480i, so I need to turn disable that resolution. Is the only way to get to Guided Setup to do a "Reset Everything"?
Reset everything will "reformat" the HR20= erase anything you've recorded. press menu, help and settings, settings, tv type, you can then toggle off 480i
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
46 Posts
Set info in sig, set to 720P. I have an older sony surround, if I do the conversion on the Sammy for some reason the audio is always out of sync. So instead I just have the HR20 to do the converting.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Just bought a Vizio 32" LCD with HDMI hooked to HR20. Have native off, but have noticed HR20 does change between 1080 and 720. If I use HR20 remote, it scans manually from 480 something through to 1080. The picture on Vizio is outstanding, but its a toss-up between it and my Sony XBR-910. The 910 has a terrific picture!!:D
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
417 Posts
Here's my $.02 on this. I have my TV and HR20's set to Native On. Why? Because you see the picture exactly as it is sent to you from DirecTV. No upconverting downconverting etc. Think of it like a paper copying (Xerox) machine. You can take that paper and copy it, but it will never be the original. When you let a $200 DVR upconvert or downconvert your signal, it will not be as good as the original. There will be artifacts, and symptoms, whether you can see them or not. The best example I can think of is converting a 720p to 1080i or vice versa. When you convert a 1280x720 picture to 1920x1080, there is going to some type of undesirable artifact. You cannot convert these two resolutions using a 1:1 pixel ratio so there has to be some distortion in the picture. Now given, I do work at a television station and am an audio and video purist, but to each his/her own. The only argument I could give for not using native is the time it takes the DVR and TV to switch between resolutions. However, for the purity of the picture, I can live with this, so I keep Native On.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
107 Posts
I have only 1080i resolution enabled and native off with my Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000. I've switched back and forth many times looking for a quality difference with native on, and I just can't see it. On the occasions that I've been unhappy with the quality of a 720p picture and switched to native, it's never made any difference. So I just lock it in to 1080i to avoid the 5+ second channel changes.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
133 Posts
Samsung 67" dlp 1080p
HR20 to tv using hdmi
Native off
resolution set to 1080i

I could see the benefit of leaving it on "native" when using a 720p hd tv. However, then again, whatever signal the tv gets it will most likely pre-process before displaying it anyhow. So unless you had a really crappy tv, it wouldn't really matter what native was set to.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
mr anderson said:
Samsung 67" dlp 1080p
HR20 to tv using hdmi
Native off
resolution set to 1080i
I could see the benefit of leaving it on "native" when using a 720p hd tv. However, then again, whatever signal the tv gets it will most likely pre-process before displaying it anyhow. So unless you had a really crappy tv, it wouldn't really matter what native was set to.
Actually, if you read the post linked to above, you'll see that native "off" would/could have an advantage for a 720p HD TV, but not with a 1080i/p HD TV.
As always: it's what you like that counts. :)
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
54 Posts
My Sony is native 720p but will display 1080i signals. I have Native set off and the resolution set to 1080i. I've played around with Native being on and I can't tell a difference in PQ. The ESPN HD PQ looks the same to me in when I select a resolution of 720p (which it's being broadcast in) and when I select a resolution of 1080i (when the HR20 is converting it).
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Why are manufacturers making 1366x768 native sets, if the source is 720p??
My set is 1366x768, I have native on, anyone disagree with that?
As to "why": might be that their supplier has a better "deal" on that chip or flat panel.
If you like it nobody could disagree.
You might want to read the post I linked to.
I use native "on", but people that know [more than I] have posted that there is vector information in the data stream that the receiver has access to for de-interlacing that is lost when sent to the TV for de-interlacing there.
Since an interlaced program sends "half" the picture [each frame] and a progressive has a complete picture [each frame], the vectoring information would help in the conversion from "half to whole", giving the receiver the advantage over the TV, so native "off" should do a better job [technically]. as always: YMMV :)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
Well I found an article that answers part of my question:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/04/21/whats-the-deal-with-1366-x-768/

I went back and tried the native off/on thing again with different content and resolution combinations. It's hard to see any difference, but native on and limited to 720p and 1080i seems to be the best solution for my set.

The speed difference on channel changes is minor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,514 Posts
machavez00 said:
drew2k said:
My HR20 is connected to my LG plasma via HDMI, and we didn't see any output and so all resolutions are now enabled. My TV doesn't support 480i, so I need to turn disable that resolution. Is the only way to get to Guided Setup to do a "Reset Everything"?
Reset everything will "reformat" the HR20= erase anything you've recorded. press menu, help and settings, settings, tv type, you can then toggle off 480i
Thank you! I never noticed the other tab for TV Resolutions!

(It would be mighty helpful if DirecTV added the color icon on each tab, so you have that extra visual cue how to get there! ;))
 
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top