DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a service call (3 hours late) since my dish moved and DirecTV installer removed flat cables because DTV told them flat cables are not safe any more (fire hazard) and now I cant close my balcony.

Is this really case or???

·
AllStar
73 Posts
They are no longer an approved material. Not because of fire but because they are a major cause of problems.

Once the window or door gets opened and closed 1 too many times they are dead and will no longer pass signal.

All DTV techs have been advised not to use them anymore under any circumstances.

I have had 2 or 3 svc calls in the last 2 months where a flat cable was at fault and the customers got the same offer each time. I will drill a hole and run the cable through it and install a proper wallplate for FREE or you will have to replace the flatcables with some purchased by the customer.

All have declined the hole drilling and I instructed them where they could purchase some locally.

He shouldnt have taken your cables but he apparently was told to get rid of them he just went about it the wrong way.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
Why do they have to lie?

There is no fire issue...Anybody cite just one!.......The flat cable is just prone to dings. They fail when hit by doors etc.

My experiences with HSPs = if the customer calls for an ETA they always lie; "running late" truck broken" or "called in sick".....and a few others. They never say we double booked that route so someone will get there, just deal with the first guy and tell the next tech to move on.

The flat cable is one little problem. There are many installs out there with a 5LNB dish and something other that a WB6x8........."just tell them something..we don't have the right switch today.......hit the road!"

Joe

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Im on your side with why do they lie.

The problem is that untill DTV gets that HSP back up and running correctly this will continue. The tech was probably told they were a fire hazard by his sup.

His HSP is Ironwood and there are many changes happening very soon. Starting on 7-8-08 DTV takes control of them completely. They are even throwing a Welcome party at all the locations. lol

There has been some pretty drastic changes at some locations allready like site managers and other supervisors " moving on "

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
houskamp said:
maybe not fire but a shorted cable could smoke a reciever..
So where can I get flat cables, because if the cables are not fire hazard I really don't understand why he had to tell me that bs.... acording to him it was DTV who told them it was fire hazzard.... Also I just realized he removed ground wire when he was moving antena and he never placed it back.

·
Registered
12,583 Posts
whynot83706 said:
So where can I get flat cables, because if the cables are not fire hazard I really don't understand why he had to tell me that bs.... acording to him it was DTV who told them it was fire hazzard.... Also I just realized he removed ground wire when he was moving antena and he never placed it back.
http://www.solidsignal.com has them.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I had no idea flat cables existed. Wow, very cool.

·
Banned
293 Posts
Funny, I just had a directv installer replace mine 5 days ago. They did say though that they would not use the sliding door but the side that doesn't move.

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
joe diamond said:
Why do they have to lie?
Why do people have to throw out that accusation all the time??

How do you know he lied? Do you know for a fact that he knew it was supposed to be removed because they damage too easily and instead of stating that decided to say they cause fires? Or do you think it's possible he was just told to remove them because they lead to problems? As happens with stories, one thing led to another while techs were talking and someone mentioned the fire theory. He believed it.

Don't assume someone is lying just because they don't know the truth.

Or were you not aware of what lying really means?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
As I've said many times, the flattest of flat cables can be made by taking the chinciest 300 ohm cable you can find, which will be the stuff used in forming an FM dipole antenna, and pigtailing it at each end to stripped coax wire ends. I have never enountered any problems when I do this. But if you ever have to call DirecTV for service, you should remove and hide that piece of cable and substitute a round coax and leave your door or window slightly open so he will not try to blame it for your problem. You might also have a roll of wide tape handy and tell him that you tape the gap to keep out the elements. It will make your installation seem more credible.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
AntAltMike said:
As I've said many times, the flattest of flat cables can be made by taking the chinciest 300 ohm cable you can find, which will be the stuff used in forming an FM dipole antenna, and pigtailing it at each end to stripped coax wire ends.
You may have gotten it to work, just like you might be able to fix a car with bailing wire and duct tape, but it's not the right way to do it.

·
Icon
1,660 Posts
there actually was a huge damage claim regarding flat cables and a fire it was proven that lightning caused the flat cable to catch fire therefore directv directed all hsp to no longer use them this was in an internal memo from directv not sure the exacts on it but it was something like this

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
west99999 said:
there actually was a huge damage claim regarding flat cables and a fire it was proven that lightning caused the flat cable to catch fire therefore directv directed all hsp to no longer use them this was in an internal memo from directv not sure the exacts on it but it was something like this
I don't see how flat cable is any more unsafe (in the above explanation) than regular coax?

No dig on you west99999, I just think this sounds more like an urban myth.

·
Registered
12,583 Posts
west99999 said:
I don't believe it. Can you link to a credible reference?

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
litzdog911 said:
Wow they are even cheap....I ordered one, thanks. I know he removed connectors which were going to the flat cables and he did put some new ones, so I am hoping it is going to work.

Although, flat cables are removed for the one or the another reason I just dont understand how this is going to work for the customers who live in apartments. Now I cant close my balcony door and its pain in the rear end. Most of the apartments will not let you drill the walls at all....

·
Legend
117 Posts
I just bought a bunch from Amazon. If it seems one is going bad (and this has only happened once in two years- we don't use that door much) I just replace it. No biggie. KU/KA seem to travel fine through them and they have worked well for me.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
Fire hazzard or not, I would be pretty POed if DirecTV took any of my propoerty from my house. Sure, warn me all you want, but nothing in the customer agreement allows them to steal.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.