DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
MarkN said:
is the flat coax cable used for windows and doors ok to use with HD equipment?
there are some that are rated for HD, so if it is rated as such then yes

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
If you're using a SWM, you don't need the HD version, BUT... do not use the flat cable on a patio door or anywhere the flat cable is going to sustain damage, because the power inserter will be pumping lots of DC power through it and it could potentially be a fire hazard. Go through a window, and try to use the window as little as possible and be gentle on the cable.

I don't do an install that requires flat cables on a patio door, because the customer (or their friends/family/guests) always slam the door and damage the flat cable, causing endless service calls.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
IIP said:
If you're using a SWM, you don't need the HD version, BUT... do not use the flat cable on a patio door or anywhere the flat cable is going to sustain damage, because the power inserter will be pumping lots of DC power through it and it could potentially be a fire hazard. Go through a window, and try to use the window as little as possible and be gentle on the cable.

I don't do an install that requires flat cables on a patio door, because the customer (or their friends/family/guests) always slam the door and damage the flat cable, causing endless service calls.
Exactly,

If they would just make them about two feet long the damage to the fitting area might be eliminated.

I charge extra to use them and give the customer two spares.

Joe

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
joe diamond said:
Exactly,

If they would just make them about two feet long the damage to the fitting area might be eliminated.

I charge extra to use them and give the customer two spares.

Joe
the sad thing is that I bet that they could make a device that converted the signal into light pulses, you could mount two of them on either side of some glass and that should work

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
curt8403 said:
the sad thing is that I bet that they could make a device that converted the signal into light pulses, you could mount two of them on either side of some glass and that should work
Drills are cheaper.

There must be a wi fi way to do this stuff.

Joe

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
Power is the reason; sat coax not only passes RF signal, but also DC power. Most solutions that would require power on the outside cause the same problems as having the cable; it's easier to drill.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
Drill anyway, and either repair the hole yourself or pay out of the deposit for it to be repaired when you leave. That's what most tenants do. They won't through you out of the place for a (sealed) hole in the wall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.