DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Banned
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JLucPicard said:
Whatever. One person's opinion - I doubt that his comment will send people scurrying to other providers any more than anyone else's.
Who said anything about anyone scurrying? Point is, if D*'s customer service continues to decline, Murdoch keeps looking to dump the company, and they don't get their overall act together (especially the HR20), they will lose subs as more attractive alternatives come along.

Plus, the more analysts/tech writers who report bad experiences with D*, it's not going to help them in the long run. Each of those single opinions carry more clout than the person on the street.

If Pogue at the NYT or Walt at the WSJ gave the HR20 or D*'s customer service a negative review, you don't think it would hurt?
 

· Legend
Joined
·
208 Posts
tstarn said:
Who said anything about anyone scurrying? Point is, if D*'s customer service continues to decline, Murdoch keeps looking to dump the company, and they don't get their overall act together (especially the HR20), they will lose subs as more attractive alternatives come along.

Plus, the more analysts/tech writers who report bad experiences with D*, it's not going to help them in the long run. Each of those single opinions carry more clout than the person on the street.

If Pogue at the NYT or Walt at the WSJ gave the HR20 or D*'s customer service a negative review, you don't think it would hurt?
do you REALLY think a lot of people read the wall street journal or the new york times? 99% or more of people dont know who those 2 writers are. if they mattered there would be many more macintosh owners.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OneOfOne said:
do you REALLY think a lot of people read the wall street journal or the new york times? 99% or more of people dont know who those 2 writers are. if they mattered there would be many more macintosh owners.
I think if they create enough negative buzz, it could cause some headaches for D* in the long run. No, not everyone reads the NYT or the WSJ, that's fairly obvious. But those writers get quoted and their opinions carry weight, which can spread to other sources, forums, etc. And if AP picks up on the story of the HR20 or other D* problems (and AP editors do read those news sources for ideas), it will start appearing in many, many more pubs/newspapers/online news sites. Negative press on a product like the HR20 can snowball was my point.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
tstarn said:
I think if they create enough negative buzz, it could cause some headaches for D* in the long run. No, not everyone reads the NYT or the WSJ, that's fairly obvious. But those writers get quoted and their opinions carry weight, which can spread to other sources, forums, etc. And if AP picks up on the story of the HR20 or other D* problems (and AP editors do read those news sources for ideas), it will start appearing in many, many more pubs/newspapers/online news sites. Negative press on a product like the HR20 can snowball was my point.
You're right about AP writers reading those specific sources and possibly quoting them and creating a snowball effect of bad pub.

However, I think the average consumer simply doesn't do their homework when it comes to a product. I certainly didn't when it came to the HR20. I knew that RSNs would be in MPEG4 and that I wanted to get RSN in HD and so I bought the HR20, so reviews read or anything to that effect.

BMW and Mercedes are consistently rated near the bottom of the rankings in reliability. Consumer Reports, CNN money, Motor Trend, JD Power... The list goes on. Generally, if you buy one of those cars, you can expect that at some point it'll need to be in the shop for repairs. That kind of negative rating doesn't effect their sales.

You have to take into account supply and demand. If you want HD on D*, there is only 1 product that will suit your needs in the long run. Good or bad, people are going to buy it because it's the only option.

As other options become available, they may lose subs, but many satellite subscribers have no other options. They have crappy cable, or maybe even no cable, very little OTA, and so they opt to get satellite. If all goes as planned (a big IF, I suppose), then by next year D*'s HD content should be head and shoulders above the other options.

IF that actually happens, I think it would be hard to generate enough bad publicity that it would actually hurt sales.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sharkie_Fan said:
You're right about AP writers reading those specific sources and possibly quoting them and creating a snowball effect of bad pub.

However, I think the average consumer simply doesn't do their homework when it comes to a product. I certainly didn't when it came to the HR20. I knew that RSNs would be in MPEG4 and that I wanted to get RSN in HD and so I bought the HR20, so reviews read or anything to that effect.

BMW and Mercedes are consistently rated near the bottom of the rankings in reliability. Consumer Reports, CNN money, Motor Trend, JD Power... The list goes on. Generally, if you buy one of those cars, you can expect that at some point it'll need to be in the shop for repairs. That kind of negative rating doesn't effect their sales.

You have to take into account supply and demand. If you want HD on D*, there is only 1 product that will suit your needs in the long run. Good or bad, people are going to buy it because it's the only option.

As other options become available, they may lose subs, but many satellite subscribers have no other options. They have crappy cable, or maybe even no cable, very little OTA, and so they opt to get satellite. If all goes as planned (a big IF, I suppose), then by next year D*'s HD content should be head and shoulders above the other options.

IF that actually happens, I think it would be hard to generate enough bad publicity that it would actually hurt sales.
You're right, a big if. Of course, I want to be able to sit back, relax, watch recorded HD and fuggedaboutit! If that's not happening a year from now, but FIOS is, or Comcrap has a Tivo box worth it's salt, they will be attractive choices. ST isn't an issue for me, but if D* ever loses that franchise, I won't be alone.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
tstarn said:
You're right, a big if. Of course, I want to be able to sit back, relax, watch recorded HD and fuggedaboutit! If that's not happening a year from now, but FIOS is, or Comcrap has a Tivo box worth it's salt, they will be attractive choices. ST isn't an issue for me, but if D* ever loses that franchise, I won't be alone.
I agree with you 100% on both counts. It is a big if as far as what D* adds and when it gets added. How often does ANYTHING go according to plan in life! :)

And if ST ever went away, I think you'd see desertions like rats on a sinking ship. I know several people around here who keep D* only because of ST. Comcast in this area has a pretty good reputation. Unfortunately, my house is in Charter territory, which is AWFUL! But if ST wasn't on D*, I know for sure a handful of my friends would go to Comcast.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,743 Posts
Using that writer's logic, if I were a journalist, I'd be telling people to buy the stock like crazy. I used mover's connection and had prompt, excellent quality service. I also had an extra Tivo installed, also with great service.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top