DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been mentioned numerous times, but it's really getting old and I'm just wondering for how much longer will I be watching shows that look like a bad Japanese movies dub.

For me it happens on both local HDs and non-local HDs (like ESPN-HD). Previously recorded shows are the worst. I recorded Friday Night Lights and it was nearly unwatchable, for example. Yes, I have done a Red Button Reset numerous times, and I have also switched to live TV, to another recording and back, and I have lit a scented candle--all to no avail.

So, WILL this be addressed via a software update, or do I have more serious problems? ? ? I can stand it a little while longer, but I really don't think it should be going on this long with no fix in sight...

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
How are you connecting to your TV and (if applicable) an A/V receiver? More information might help. For what it's worth, I have very few lip-synch problems on any of my channels running component cables through my A/V receiver and out to the TV, with optical audio out through the receiver also. If it became a major issue, I could adjust the audio synch via settings in my receiver.

·
Legend
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LameLefty said:
How are you connecting to your TV and (if applicable) an A/V receiver? More information might help. For what it's worth, I have very few lip-synch problems on any of my channels running component cables through my A/V receiver and out to the TV, with optical audio out through the receiver also. If it became a major issue, I could adjust the audio synch via settings in my receiver.
I have component from HR20 to TV, optical sound HR20 to A/V receiver. I have always had my setup this way and never had a problem. Also I have no such problems on non-HD channels, so I really don't think it's my setup...

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
I have had the audio synch problem a few times. To get out of the audio "un-synch", I simply pause the program for a few seconds. That does the trick for me.

·
AllStar
58 Posts
I get the Lip Synch problem on just the MPEG4 locals. Sometimes it is real bad. Like watching a foreign movie. Reminds me of those old Japanese monster movies with the bad dubbing.

I have 2 HR20's and use HDMI on both. TV is a Sony SXRD 60".

Funny thing is that my wife never noticed it till my son told her. Now she complains about it all the time.

I have tried the pause, stop, etc.. Doesn't work. I should try component but will wait to I get the OTA to see if that works. If it does, then I can use that instead of the MPEG4 channels. Hopefully the will fix it before they switch the nationals to MPEG4

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Chris Blount said:
I have had the audio synch problem a few times. To get out of the audio "un-synch", I simply pause the program for a few seconds. That does the trick for me.
Yes, that works great for about ten seconds and then the audio starts to lag again. When I've had the problems (it seems intermittent) it makes the program all but unwatchable. I'm forced to kind of "fuzzy focus" at the screen and not really pay attention to the lips. Fuzzy focusing on an HD picture is not why I got the box. ;-)

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
I've had that problem even on my old Hughes E-86 HD receiver. It's just the nature of the beast. It doesn't happen often though. But when it does a quick channel change up or down and then back usually clears it up.

I've seen it on the HR20 as well but never on recorded material. Sounds like you can pause or jump back a couple times to get it back in order.

And yes, sometimes you do have to put in a delay for audio via your A/V receiver. My Yamaha has that feature for 5.1 sources should it be needed. In other words, it's a common enough occurance for HD from any source and some A/V receivers are building in features to compensate for it.

·
AllStar
63 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
bonscott87 said:
And yes, sometimes you do have to put in a delay for audio via your A/V receiver. My Yamaha has that feature for 5.1 sources should it be needed. In other words, it's a common enough occurance for HD from any source and some A/V receivers are building in features to compensate for it.
Not when the AUDIO is the one that's late.

·
1 Posts
uteotw said:
I know this has been mentioned numerous times, but it's really getting old and I'm just wondering for how much longer will I be watching shows that look like a bad Japanese movies dub.

For me it happens on both local HDs and non-local HDs (like ESPN-HD). Previously recorded shows are the worst. I recorded Friday Night Lights and it was nearly unwatchable, for example. Yes, I have done a Red Button Reset numerous times, and I have also switched to live TV, to another recording and back, and I have lit a scented candle--all to no avail.

So, WILL this be addressed via a software update, or do I have more serious problems? ? ? I can stand it a little while longer, but I really don't think it should be going on this long with no fix in sight...
I have had the same problem; does any have any suggestions on a workaround?

thanks

nmarcot

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
nmarcot said:
I have had the same problem; does any have any suggestions on a workaround?
The last time I talked to advanced tech support they said it's a known bug and they're working on a fix. There's really no work-around.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
I get it on ESPN-HD...nothing stops it. It's annoying as hell, but it's the only channel I see it on.

·
Legend
241 Posts
Please explain which is delayed, audio or video. We assume video lag, as this is the most frequent occurrence. If it is video lag, I wonder if it has anything to do with your resolution setting on the HR20? If you have native res on, maybe try turning it off and fixing it to 1080i (for the poster with an SXRD; 720p if that is your display's native res).

If the audio is lagging and/or the above doesn't fix the problem, it's possible that it is in the feed. I don't have MPEG4's yet, but HDNet has this problem on every show I've ever seen on it. I don't notice it on any other channel (I run HDMI to TV, optical to AVR). If it does only happen on MPEG4's, I would suspect the feed is the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.