DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

For those of you that used to have D* HD Service

4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  wje 
kevreh said:
I was talking about the the R15. From what I've read, their not using the TIVO label, but the software and functionality is the TIVO "engine". But your right that their not using the TIVO name per se.
Definitely not using the Tivo engine. The R15 is completely different from Tivo, and it's terrible. The underlying software is DirecTV's own.

They may have paid a licensing fee to Tivo so they don't run into patent infringement lawsuits like Dish Network is facing.

The R15 is actually one of the reasons why I am switching from DirecTV over to Dish Network (2 more days until it gets installed!) The R15 has so many issues and problems with it. I am not completely unsympathetic, because it is a brand new box and first generation of DirecTV's own brand of DVRs. But seeing how many issues there are with this thing, and reading about all the problems the HR20 has, I am very hesitant to use any of DirecTV's brand of DVRs at this time.

Seems Dish Network's DVRs are a bit more mature and while not 100% bug free, they do seem to work better (and is it me or are they a little more responsive to bugs popping up too?) I'm very excited about my Dish installation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.