DBSTalk Forum banner

For those who own HR34's, Would you still get one if you had to do it over?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 135 95.7%
  • Maybe (explain)

Votes: 6 4.3%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering getting an HR34 when I sign up as I don't want to have to pay $400 later when the bugs are worked out...

So, I'm posing this question: For those who own HR34's, Would you still get one if you had to do it over?

· Registered
3,752 Posts
There are still a few issues with it, but it's really a GREAT box if you record a lot of stuff. I LOVE being able to record 5 different channels at the same time-very rarely have I had a conflict, and when I did, I was able to find another viewing sometimes later that I could record. With the HR2x line, I had to have 2 of them. The storage on it is nice too (I upgraded to 2TB, but most people will be fine with the stock 1TB drive). I know a lot of people fear having too much on the drive, for fear of it dying. Connect the HR34 (Or any DVR) to a good UPS, and that will eliminate a lot of problems, and the chances of the hard drive dying prematurely.

· Icon
1,075 Posts
Even with current and past issues, very simply, a resounding "yes." Virtually never having to be concerned with tuner or storage capacity when pushing the "Record" button is hugely advantageous.

11,606 Posts
Y-E-S.

Best MRV-capable DVR on the planet earth (presently).

There's still a few bugs to work out, but the ability to concurrently record 5 independent shows, with 220+ hours of standard HD capacity, and PIP, with DirecTV's nationwide reach is fabulous.

TiVo doesn't yet do non-DVR clients (maybe Q3/Q4).

FiOS doesn't yet have a DVR with more then 2 tuners (maybe Q4/Q1).

So for me, the HR34 is it.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Sixto said:
the ability to concurrently record 5 independent shows,.
5 different CHANNELS. I REALLY like that overlapping timers on the same channel only use up one tuner (This is a feature of all Directv DVRs). Other DVRs don't do this. I use this mostly on Sunday nights. I record all of Animation Domination on Fox, but because of football, I just have all Series Links set to record an extra 3 hours. So come 10:00 I have 5 programs being recorded, but because they're on the same channel, only 1 tuner is actually being used. I don't know of any other DVR that does this!

11,606 Posts
I should also add, my wife would also vote Yes.

She's not one to ever comment on technology, but she has commented that this 5 tuner thingy is wonderful, now never misses a recording. And 1TB is fine for her, though she hasn't dabbled in PIP.

· Icon
609 Posts
i love the HR34, love the ability to record 5 programs at once, plus if you count on demand, thats a total of 6 programs being recorded at the same time, no dvr comes close to it, the cable dvr for timewarner sucks big time it is just a plain old dvr dual tuner, you cant even lock out the channels you don't subscribe to, love the pip feature nice to watch 2 live programs at the same time and just arrow down to switch between the 2 programs.

· Dad
5,798 Posts
When I got it, I didn't think I'd ever use the 5 tuners at once. But a few months ago, I found 5 recordings going at the same time while watching a VOD movie. Didn't plan it just happened so it was quite cool that I could do that.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Absolutely. Hr34 is the future. It has been 6 years but hr2x is yesterday's news.

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
I voted "maybe", as I don't have one, but that was the only way I know of to see the results- which really ought to be more interesting to those thinking of getting one than to those who already have 'em.

Is there some way to pop out the results without voting?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.