DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little hesitant to write this review of my third HR20 but it's been a solid week or so and, much to my amazement this box seems to be doing everything it's suppose to and I havn't uttered the words, POS in over a week. (Please, no jinx)

My first HR20 was installed on Oct. 9th and within two days a tech support person declared it was a bad box because of some wierd things it was doing. They sent me out a second box and this box was nothing but three weeks of headaches from the get go. I started posting threads and looking for advice just like alot of people are doing to try to get this thing running smoother. I switched out HDMI to Components, removed the BBC's, etc. The lockups continued as much as 3 to 4 a night. The classic scenario for me was the DVR wouldn't accept any commands from the remote. That was my problem from day one.

I held on to this box for three weeks because I kept thinking the software upgrades were going to fix the lockups, but that never happenned. I was also 100% convinced that having them send me out a third box was absolutely useless, just like I'm sure alot of people are thinking. I just figured that if it was a software problem they could send me 8 boxes and they would continue to have problems.

The third box arrived and has been working perfectly from day one. I've been working it pretty hard also and not a single lockup, nor has the DVR lost touch with the remote. This box was also installed and working perfectly prior to the recent upgrade to OXEF and continues to work perfectly.

I know this might be hard to believe to some people that are continueing to have problems. Becuase a week ago no one could have convinced me that this box wasn't a POS but now that I have one that's working properly, I'm very pleased. Keep sending them back until you get one that works. You might get lucky also. Good Luck.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Italfra1 said:
I'm a little hesitant to write this review of my third HR20 but it's been a solid week or so and, much to my amazement this box seems to be doing everything it's suppose to and I havn't uttered the words, POS in over a week. (Please, no jinx)

My first HR20 was installed on Oct. 9th and within two days a tech support person declared it was a bad box because of some wierd things it was doing. They sent me out a second box and this box was nothing but three weeks of headaches from the get go. I started posting threads and looking for advice just like alot of people are doing to try to get this thing running smoother. I switched out HDMI to Components, removed the BBC's, etc. The lockups continued as much as 3 to 4 a night. The classic scenario for me was the DVR wouldn't accept any commands from the remote. That was my problem from day one.

I held on to this box for three weeks because I kept thinking the software upgrades were going to fix the lockups, but that never happenned. I was also 100% convinced that having them send me out a third box was absolutely useless, just like I'm sure alot of people are thinking. I just figured that if it was a software problem they could send me 8 boxes and they would continue to have problems.

The third box arrived and has been working perfectly from day one. I've been working it pretty hard also and not a single lockup, nor has the DVR lost touch with the remote. This box was also installed and working perfectly prior to the recent upgrade to OXEF and continues to work perfectly.

I know this might be hard to believe to some people that are continueing to have problems. Because a week ago no one could have convinced me that this box wasn't a POS but now that I have one that's working properly, I'm very pleased. Keep sending them back until you get one that works. You might get lucky also. Good Luck.
Hey, great news. I still have my original, and now it's working. Still have the sound/audio dropout issues, but they are more scarce. Now, if D* can only eliminate the 8mm effect on my CBS and NBC locals (still hard to watch), life will be fine.

Being the tinkerer I am, I considered going back to HDMI (since component, no lockups) and putting the BBCs back on (no need, really), but I guess I will leave well enough alone.

·
Banned
614 Posts
It turns out the two I sent back were not defective in terms of hardware, it was simply software related. Yes I understand some have had bad hard drives, or second tuners were buggy, but this is not common.

·
Icon
578 Posts
It seems there could be some QA issues with the HR20s going out. That or D* could be making minor incremental hardware updates in the HR20.

It just seems odd that we all have the same box and firmware, yet what works for some might not work for others.

·
Legend
189 Posts
Bizarroterl said:
My first box was the third.
My first box was a turd. :lol:

Coincidence? I think not.

Something about the number 3....we're currently on our 3rd box as well, and so far it's been (dare I utter these words?) fairly consistant. Our biggest complaints have been missed/partial/deleted recordings as, to me....that is simply inexcusable for a DVR.

Another couple weeks of this, and I might come over to the dark side, and even sing the praises of this POS (j/k)!;) Oh, how wonderful it would be to jump all over somebody for bad-mouthing the HR20!

I can dream, can't I? :D

·
Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rambler said:
It seems there could be some QA issues with the HR20s going out. That or D* could be making minor incremental hardware updates in the HR20.

It just seems odd that we all have the same box and firmware, yet what works for some might not work for others.
It's mindblowing that a week ago I was one of the most frustrated D* customers out there and I'd be on the phone with them every day raising hell. Now a week later I've got a box that's working like it should have from day one and I've made them pay out the nose with credits for dealing with the aggravation. How's it possible that so many people are still having all these bugs, even after all the software upgrades and someone else can have a perfectly good working box. I don't get it but if you have a clunker, demand that they send you out a new one, asap. It could make all the difference in the world. Good luck all.

·
Legend
228 Posts
Italfra1 said:
It's mindblowing that a week ago I was one of the most frustrated D* customers out there and I'd be on the phone with them every day raising hell. Now a week later I've got a box that's working like it should have from day one and I've made them pay out the nose with credits for dealing with the aggravation. How's it possible that so many people are still having all these bugs, even after all the software upgrades and someone else can have a perfectly good working box. I don't get it but if you have a clunker, demand that they send you out a new one, asap. It could make all the difference in the world. Good luck all.
Just curious - with all the several boxes you now have, could you determine any commonality such as mfgr. date or some other indication (build location?) of the good vs. bad boxes? Any physical component differences?

Just a shot in the dark .....

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Rambler said:

my thoughts exactly :righton:

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Rambler said:
...It just seems odd that we all have the same box and firmware, yet what works for some might not work for others.
You can't discount the endless combination of hardware/home theater configurations.
From the lentghs/quality of exisitng cabling in the house, TV's, AMPS, Home THeaters in a Box, DVD players, Quality of HDMI cables.....The list goes one.

I've had two HR20's, I'm an low end user I guess you would say. Neither box recorded the Dallas/Phoenix this past weekend (that pissed me off). BUt that's been the real problem. I show wouldn't play backproperly-wouldn't FF.

I have a Panasonic TH50PX50U and 60U connected HDMI, no problems.

Any new variable in the equation can certainly change or alter the end result.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.