DBSTalk Forum banner

What cabling did your DIRECTV installer (or you) use for your HD antenna install?

• 100% New cabling - nothing was reused

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reused some or all of existing cabling

Votes: 48 21.9%
  • I truly have no idea - but I do have an HD Satellite Dish

Votes: 170 77.6%
  • This doesn't apply to me - I'm just observing.

Votes: 1 0.5%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When DIRECTV (or you) installed your HD Satellite Dish, did you pull new cabling or did you use the existing cabling? It doesn't matter if you did this yesterday or 2 years ago ..

When I say "new cabling" that means 100% new cabling. If one wire was reused, then you should answer "reused old cabling."

· Registered
2,792 Posts
We ran all new cabling when we remodeled the house two years ago. What better time than when there's nothing on a wall right? :)

· Hall Of Fame
2,584 Posts
I had to pay a fee for the install (can't remember what it was). Installer ran one line from outside into the house.

I've since moved the antenna into the attic and diplexed into the SWM8. Works fine after I added a Channel Master amp to replace the old one I had purchased at Wal-Mart.

· Godfather
308 Posts
Just got an install on Saturday and had 2 new receivers hooked up and 2 moved. I kept the existing cabling for the new receivers (install is about 2 years old) and ran new cables to the 2 receivers that were moved.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Doug Brott said:
Sorry .. When I say "HD Antenna" I mean your "HD Satellite Antenna" :) .. I could have been more clear I suppose ..
Then woops. I should be in the reused some...
I originally had 2 lines down from the dish into the house->BMS58-> 2 lines back out of the house upstairs to the Master Bed.

He was pretty creative when he put the HD dish in and put a 4x8 outside the house and turned the half of the wires in the ceiling from outs to ins... so my Master Bed is distributed from outside the house and the basement is distributed from inside... I was just going to run more wires ALL the way into the house.

But my seperate HD OTA antenna, I have a straight shot from arial to HR10

· Godfather
434 Posts
In '97 when I installed my first dish, I used the existing cable that was in the house from the cable tv wiring. I had no problems at all for the 7 years I was there.

When I bought the house I am in now in '04, I pulled 100% new RG-6 Quad to the multi-switch in the attic and from there to all 5 locations that have a receiver.

Edit:
So, I voted 100% New since that applies to my current situation.

· Icon
600 Posts
All new lines from Dish to MS. 1 new line to each DVR for the second tuner.

· Godfather
345 Posts
They put in a new dish (sidecar) with 4 new runs to the house. Used same wiring in the house (about 7 yr old) and then ran new wires from inputs in living room to HR20. Some new, some old.

So is this just general interest or trying to get at a problem??

· Registered
5,952 Posts
My vote was 100% new, based on the most recent install. I demanded that the installer replace both runs of cable from the dish on our garage to the north end of the house. He complied without complaint.

My prior (main) install has cables in the walls via ribbed tubes, (4 of them), and I didn't ask to have those runs replaced, I used the existing cabling.

In both cases, all is fine.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
When I first got HD, they reused all the the existing wiring - which was only about 1.5 years old for most of the house.

Since that time, I've replaced most of that with new RG6, but only because I needed to clean up the wiring some, not because it had stopped working.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Used existing wiring. I have 4 coax buried about 50 feet to a pole in the backyard so no way I was pulling all that up. :) My cables are now about 10 years old. However, they are high quality quad shielded RG6 that I had custom made by the local home theater shop. So they aren't just some cheapo Best Buy cable. ;)

· Registered
2,059 Posts
100% of my old cabling was used -- twice. When 103(c) went active last fall, my original sidecar dish had trouble picking up the even transponders, so they replaced it with a slimline under the protection plan. The cabling for both dishes was still the same old stuff, some of which dates back to my original installation in March of 1996!

· Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
I voted for some reuse as the tech did use some wire that was there. However, my house was brand new and wired to a central point for Satellite with 2 or 3 RG6Q runs to each room and 4 from the dish site to the central point and one from the OTA antenna site to the centra point.

· Godfather
331 Posts
When the installer replaced my 3 LNB dish with a Slimline last summer, he attempted to use my existing 4 lines of 100+ feet of RG6. He couldn't get a decent signal, so he ran 4 new lines of RG6 from the dish all the way to the receivers. The old lines were copper clad steel.

· Hall Of Fame
2,208 Posts
Reused cable that ran to my wifes D11 and all new RG6 for my HR20-700 and HR21-100 reused daughters cableing for her H23. All work great.

· Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
My HD installation was last September. He used the 2 duplex cables from my existing dish but added about 10' with connectors (bullet or barrel) to put the HD dish in a better location.

I think I've read in other threads that these shouldn't be used outside? My 99c readings are 80-85.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.