DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most frustrating experience ever! My DirecTV receivers are on the fritz (again). This time 3 of the 4 receivers we have in the house are laggy, flat out don't work, or when I try to power on/off, they fail to come back on. I was on w Tech support (20 minutes just to get to a live person) and they mentioned I should upgrade to 4K receivers as I was eligible for a free upgrade, but we got disconnected during the call. I called back up to do that, and they tried to charge me for the 4K receivers. As the call was at 37 minutes at that time, and I had to return to continue working, I didn't have time to escalate to a supervisor, and had to end the call frustrated. Today, on my day off, I tried to call in to exercise my "free" 4K receiver upgrade again (after almost 20 minutes to reach a live person again), and she again said that it was not an equipment charge, but an installation charge. At this point, I just wanted to get working TV again for my family so I said fine. She needed to do something but she said her system was slow and so I had to hold. She kept coming back on to apologize for the delays, then finally (I think about 40 minutes into the call) she told me (by the way) that this is a new upgrade and would require a new 2 year contract. At that point, I had had it, I asked to be sent over to the cancellations department. After a few minutes, someone came on, I could hear them just fine, but they kept repeating their name. I wasn't on mute or anything and kept trying to hear them I could hear them just fine. They finally said "I can't hear you" and hung up. Now, I'm fuming. I called back up to cancel service. Those people are always much nicer of course. I explained the whole situation and he said, let's try to get your service working. I went through the standard tech troubleshooting (that a 6-year old would figure out and that we have already tried a dozen times, power off/on, unplug, etc. blah blah) and the guy said that because the receivers had failed so many times in the past, that they'd have to upgrade, and that it would be a new 2-year contract! I couldn't believe my ears. I told him this was the most insane thing I'd ever heard. He actually agreed and said he would talk to a supervisor. He came back on saying that they would send a tech out, and they would try to fix it, but if they couldn't fix it, I'd need to call back in and try to escalate to get upper-management to waive the 2-year commitment. I asked him if he could see how completely ridiculous that was, he agreed but said that's my only option at this point. (chalk up another 30 minute call btw).

Well, needless to say I'm definitely shopping for new service. And if this experience has taught me anything it is never to get into another contract with AT&T. Most reputable carriers have services without contracts. Even if I have to get into one again, it'll never be AT&T. Absolutely unbelievable.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
If you have T-mobile, you can get YouTubeTV for $54.99 a month, otherwise it is $65.00 only issue: No dolby.
I had basically the same problem and called retention, and they released me from my contract and signed me up for ATT TV which has been good. Better PQ, Dolby, 20 streams, use your own boxes or buy theirs for $50 on ebay.
Packages are close to the same. If streaming didnt work out, I was going to sign up with DISH for their 2 yr price locked package, but I like the no-contract streaming. I can move anytime (like this Sept when I will move to YouTube so I can get the Red Zone channel that ATT doesnt carry.

Those CSRs in the South Pacific have to have caused more cancellations that they are saving ATT money. I just DETEST trying to talk to them.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,426 Posts
If you have T-mobile, you can get YouTubeTV for $54.99 a month, otherwise it is $65.00 only issue: No dolby.
I had basically the same problem and called retention, and they released me from my contract and signed me up for ATT TV which has been good. Better PQ, Dolby, 20 streams, use your own boxes or buy theirs for $50 on ebay.
Packages are close to the same. If streaming didnt work out, I was going to sign up with DISH for their 2 yr price locked package, but I like the no-contract streaming. I can move anytime (like this Sept when I will move to YouTube so I can get the Red Zone channel that ATT doesnt carry.

Those CSRs in the South Pacific have to have caused more cancellations that they are saving ATT money. I just DETEST trying to talk to them.
YouTubeTV missing a lot of RSN's as well.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Most frustrating experience ever! My DirecTV receivers are on the fritz (again). This time 3 of the 4 receivers we have in the house are laggy, flat out don't work, or when I try to power on/off, they fail to come back on. I was on w Tech support (20 minutes just to get to a live person) and they mentioned I should upgrade to 4K receivers as I was eligible for a free upgrade, but we got disconnected during the call. I called back up to do that, and they tried to charge me for the 4K receivers. As the call was at 37 minutes at that time, and I had to return to continue working, I didn't have time to escalate to a supervisor, and had to end the call frustrated. Today, on my day off, I tried to call in to exercise my "free" 4K receiver upgrade again (after almost 20 minutes to reach a live person again), and she again said that it was not an equipment charge, but an installation charge. At this point, I just wanted to get working TV again for my family so I said fine. She needed to do something but she said her system was slow and so I had to hold. She kept coming back on to apologize for the delays, then finally (I think about 40 minutes into the call) she told me (by the way) that this is a new upgrade and would require a new 2 year contract. At that point, I had had it, I asked to be sent over to the cancellations department. After a few minutes, someone came on, I could hear them just fine, but they kept repeating their name. I wasn't on mute or anything and kept trying to hear them I could hear them just fine. They finally said "I can't hear you" and hung up. Now, I'm fuming. I called back up to cancel service. Those people are always much nicer of course. I explained the whole situation and he said, let's try to get your service working. I went through the standard tech troubleshooting (that a 6-year old would figure out and that we have already tried a dozen times, power off/on, unplug, etc. blah blah) and the guy said that because the receivers had failed so many times in the past, that they'd have to upgrade, and that it would be a new 2-year contract! I couldn't believe my ears. I told him this was the most insane thing I'd ever heard. He actually agreed and said he would talk to a supervisor. He came back on saying that they would send a tech out, and they would try to fix it, but if they couldn't fix it, I'd need to call back in and try to escalate to get upper-management to waive the 2-year commitment. I asked him if he could see how completely ridiculous that was, he agreed but said that's my only option at this point. (chalk up another 30 minute call btw).

Well, needless to say I'm definitely shopping for new service. And if this experience has taught me anything it is never to get into another contract with AT&T. Most reputable carriers have services without contracts. Even if I have to get into one again, it'll never be AT&T. Absolutely unbelievable.
When was the last time you had a Service call? just asking --you may be better off getting a service call --while your looking at changing service ---

Oh BTW Welcome to the site --Now that your leaving D*TV --LOL

Reactions: 242424 and Rich

·
Mentor
65 Posts

Just before I cancelled a month ago, I had a similar situation. The MDU operator in my building swapped my non working HR44 for an HR54. I did not order a new receiver, I called them because the DVR was so slow it was useless. They decided to swap it with an HR54. I called DTV and made it clear that I was not willing to enter into any contract, and the agent said that because it was a replacement of a problem equipment by the MDU operator, there was no new contract. Having been with DTV for decades, I knew that what an agent says often does not stick, so I recorded the phone call and asked the agent to repeat what she stated and repeat the reference number. 4 months later, I had had it with DTV and the price increases and no credits available for my account. When trying to cancel, they stated I had a contract, I gave them the reference number, (and again recorded the call), and the agent said, OK I see it. A few days later I get an invoice for $400 early cancellation. I called DTV and this time they kept passing me from department to department, loyalty, ATT Collections, the Philippine call center, a supervisor who told me I need to "adjust my expectations" as this will not be waived and they may turn me to collections if I do not pay (I now had several recordings one for each conversation). As a last ditch effort I asked for a supervisor in the US, in loyalty, while I was holding I was completing the complaint form for a Small Claims Court lawsuit, when I got a supervisor that credited me the $400 to balance the account after I explained I had several recordings and reference numbers from DTV and would be happy to play it these for her. She found the original reference number and acted. A month later, using youtube TV I find I do not miss DTV at all, and some benefits, such as no boxes, cables, lights and noise from receivers are great.

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
YouTubeTV missing a lot of RSN's as well.
And missing plenty of popular / basic channels like Diy, Science, NatGeo, History, Pbs. Not to mention the DVR sucks. Behaves completely differently than any DVR you've ever seen in your life.

And of course the standard disclaimer with streaming is that you should be careful if your ISP has data caps.

·
Godfather
502 Posts
And missing plenty of popular / basic channels like Diy, Science, NatGeo, History, Pbs. Not to mention the DVR sucks. Behaves completely differently than any DVR you've ever seen in your life.

And of course the standard disclaimer with streaming is that you should be careful if your ISP has data caps.
Unlimited cloud based recording for 9 months and exponentially faster to scan through commercials and shows than any Directv DVR I ever had "sucks"? That's a new one.

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
Unlimited cloud based recording for 9 months and exponentially faster to scan through commercials and shows than any Directv DVR I ever had "sucks"? That's a new one.
Have you ever tried to record Season 2, Episode 3 of Show X? Good luck finding it since the DVR will record every season and episode instead. Sorry, no, I don't want to scroll through 200+ episodes of The Big Bang Theory this afternoon to find the one I set to record this morning while perusing the guide for the day. And after I watch it, why would I want to keep it for 9 months to clutter up my playlist? As most people do, I watch a show and delete it. Nice DVR. You can't delete anything.

Not really a "new one" as you claim since there have been numerous threads on people not liking that behavior. One guy in the thread suggested I keep a notepad by the TV to jot down season / episode numbers so I could find them later! Ha! Can you imagine doing that?

Btw, my HR54 is super fast. My old HR24 was slow to the point of being unusable which is why I upgraded.

"Exponentially faster" to scan through commercials? How so?

·
Mentor
65 Posts

I do get NatGeo & the local PBS on youtube TV in Los Angeles. The DVR took a bit getting used to, but actually works very well for my purposes. Of course, it depends what you watch and how you watch, but for my lineup works great, it is less than 1/2 the price and is simpler to install and move around... Luckily my building offers 1GB Internet at very low cost without Caps, and I really don't remember when it last had an outage.

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
I do get NatGeo & the local PBS on youtube TV in Los Angeles. The DVR took a bit getting used to, but actually works very well for my purposes. Of course, it depends what you watch and how you watch, but for my lineup works great, it is less than 1/2 the price and is simpler to install and move around... Luckily my building offers 1GB Internet at very low cost without Caps, and I really don't remember when it last had an outage.
For the nationals, do you get east coast or west coast?

One of the reasons why I didn't like TVision and Cox was that they gave me the west coast feeds. That put the cable shows at 9-11. DirecTV gives me the east coast feed for the nationals, so I get them at 6-8 which more aligns with my viewing habits.

Still, once I source additional services for my missing channels, plus throw in a OTA DVR to get some subchannels I occasionally watch... juggling multiple devices, providers, bills, guides, DVRs is a PITA. If you can get everything you need from a single provider, that's one thing. And sure there are some folks out there that are willing to put up with all the juggling to save $10/mo, I'm in the camp of rather pay the $10/mo and get the one stop shop in a single device.

And at the end of the day, once you starting getting into 2 or 3 providers, or even with just Youtube and having a data cap, you aren't saving any money, in fact you are paying MORE. Some folks miss that part :D.

Also some folks don't want to bother with the negotiating w/ DirecTV. Doesn't bother me much. I do it during work once a year and it takes all of 5 minutes.

·
Icon
1,028 Posts
It's sad that you have to do this with them, but for other new people reading the thread looking for advice, this is your script when talking to DTV about any issues with slow/laggy/glitchy DVR's. Especially the HR20-34 lines.

Step 1, call the retention department first. Find the current numbers in the "Anyone call DirectTV and get a discount ..." thread. Don't waste your time with any other department.
Step 2, when they answer, say hello DTV, my receiver is completely dead. It won't power on, makes no noise, has no lights and I have tried using the power cable from my other DVR. Please send me a replacement and please credit my account the $20 shipping charge. Tell them you do not want to upgrade your equipment and you do not want to sign-up for the protection plan. If you tell them it's dead from the start, you will short circuit their troubleshooting flowchart and you will save yourself the hour of stupid "reboot the receiver, factory reset the receiver" troubleshooting steps that are designed to get you off the phone. Telling them you have tried a working power cord will save you the even dumber "we need to mail you a new power cord" step.
Step 3, wait while they type up all the info and confirm they are shipping you a new DVR.
Step 4, before you accept the order, confirm they are not starting a new commitment. Since this is replacing a failed receiver, it should NOT start a new commitment.
Step 4, after they get done processing the order for the replacement DVR, ask if there are any discounts available for your account.
Step 5, watch everything on the old DVR while you wait for the new one to arrive from FedEx. Write down your recording schedule
Step 6, install the new DVR and go through the long process of setting up your favorites and recordings
Step 7, if they wanted you to return the old box, take it to UPS and let them pack it up and ship it back. KEEP the receipt.

Repeat steps 1-7 until your old HR20-24's have been replaced by "new" refurb'd HR24's and your HR34 has been replaced by a 44 or 54. You can try it on an HR44, but there is no guarantee you'll get a 54 and you could end up with another 44.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Step 6, install the new DVR and go through the long process of setting up your favorites and recordings
Tried that (without the obvious lying, since I don't believe in lying)
I ordered a card for my DVR. They said they would send one. They sent a refurb DVR instead.
, and the DVR they sent did not work. I had two working units available, all they had to do is pair the card to one of them, but they refused and wanted me to pay $99 for a tech visit. Nope. Cancel.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
DirecTV gives me the east coast feed for the nationals, so I get them at 6-8 which more aligns with my viewing habits.
Distant Network Stations (DNS) generally hasn't allowed for earlier time zones for quite a while now (unless you subscribed to DNS more than 10 years or so ago). Most who have them have had to go through hell to get (and keep) them.

Getting anything like DNS from DIRECTV is like pulling hen's teeth for those who are in areas that are missing local channels. Those who are covered for the big networks (and aren't grandfathered) aren't allowed DNS at all. DIRECTV failed to meet the FCC criteria for offering DNS a while back and has had to work around it to offer what they still do.

I'm betting far more people are losing distants than are getting them.

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
Distant Network Stations (DNS) generally hasn't allowed for earlier time zones for quite a while now (unless you subscribed to DNS more than 10 years or so ago). Most who have them had had to go through hell to get (and keep) them.

Getting anything like DNS from DIRECTV is like pulling hen's teeth for those who are in areas that are missing local channels. Those who are covered for the big networks (and aren't grandfathered) aren't allowed DNS at all. DIRECTV failed to meet the FCC criteria for offering DNS a while back and has had to work around it to offer what they still do.

I'm betting far more people are losing distants than are getting them.
I meant nationals like History, Discovery, etc. Gold Rush starts at 8pm "local time". With DirecTV I get the east code feed of Discovery, so I can start DVRing it at 5pm PST. Same goes for History, USA, etc. On Cox and Tvision, I wouldn't be able to watch Gold Rush until 8pm my time.

·
Super Moderator
53,490 Posts
At this point it is probably easier to get distants from dish (missing networks included with local channels) than DIRECTV at a home. The opposite for an RV account.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
I meant nationals like History, Discovery, etc. Gold Rush starts at 8pm "local time".
I've used this to record earlier showings of programming on TNT (The Last Ship) but I ended up watching them the next day most of the time anyway since I'm typically opposed to sitting through commercials.

Precious few of the series on cable channels are hot topics at the water cooler where everyone is hanging on each episode. In the case of The Last Ship, the episodes came out as conjoined twins in adjacent time slots so if you missed the first one, you could catch it again an hour later.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.